Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've heard of others doing this but always wondered if this would break down the powder granules. Do any of you have more info on this practice?

Have you ever disassembled a loaded round after tumbling to compare the powder with fresh powder from the canister?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would not tumble loaded rounds!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Remington725
I've heard of others doing this but always wondered if this would break down the powder granules. Do any of you have more info on this practice?

Have you ever disassembled a loaded round after tumbling to compare the powder with fresh powder from the canister?

Seriously?...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fu cking stupid and you don't have to be a gunwriter to know that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Thanks, your answer (and the article) addressed the exact issue I was wondering about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The myth of negative effects of vibrating loaded ammunition has been debunked many times. Tumbling may add a minuscule chance for a detonation from a primer strike inside the tumbler, but I doubt you could make it happen if you tried.

If vibration did deteriorate powder, you would have to ship factory ammunition like Nitro Glycerin due to the vibration of hours and hours of handling and trucking the ammunition...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My first thought was that you would lose any bullet to case concentricity (SP?). Mudddy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fu cking stupid and you don't have to be a gunwriter to know that...

I like a guy that gets right to the point!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't think of an upside.
On the other hand, there are several possible downsides.
With that, I would pass.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
been doing it for 30+ years to remove sizing lube. never a problem.

if anybody here can point me to a link where tumbling reloads ever caused a problem I'm all ears. I've looked and can't fine one. I did find out all commercial reloaders tumble their loaded ammo. one guy said his company tumbled their ammo in cement mixers.

you can also read the link Vic posted or just listen to the guessers here...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toad
been doing it for 30+ years to remove sizing lube. never a problem.

if anybody here can point me to a link where tumbling reloads ever caused a problem I'm all ears. I've looked and can't fine one. I did find out all commercial reloaders tumble their loaded ammo. one guy said his company tumbled their ammo in cement mixers.

you can also read the link Vic posted or just listen to the guessers here...

I tumble after I re-size. Cant see the benefit to doing it after I load. That aint guessing.
Seems to me that fine abrasive left on bukkets can;t do the bore any good.
But hey, if it works for you, by all means carry on.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tumble brass?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

I tumble after I re-size. Cant see the benefit to doing it after I load. That aint guessing.
Seems to me that fine abrasive left on bukkets can;t do the bore any good.
But hey, if it works for you, by all means carry on.

the benefit is press priming while resizing, thus eliminating handling the brass for a separate step.

tell me more about this left over abrasive that the corncob won't pick up,

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One powder company executive pointed out a few years ago that the powder they received had been “tumbled” for days or even weeks before they received it, by trains, trucks and even ships. Then they repackaged the powder in smaller containers and tumbled it even more by sending it around the country in more trains and trucks. And it’s going to break down further by spending an hour or two in some handloader’s tumbler?

As for the possibility of a primer going off, the classic Lee Loader primes cases by essentially hammering the bottom of the case over a primer. If this is done reasonably carefully, with the primer centered in the case pocket, it’s perfectly safe. Otherwise Lee would have been sued into oblivion years ago. And somehow the relatively gentle action of a case tumbler is going to make a primer go bang?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All the rifle ammo I load on my Dillon gets tumbled to get the lube off.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
223 loaded on my Dillon gets about 15 minutes in corncob to take off the lube (Dillon spray lube and carbide 223 FL die). Never had an issue...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loaded some 223 with two different powders years ago. I tumbled a few of each powder type for about an hour and then shot 10 or each for comparison. Average velocity wasn't significantly different but the edge in variation went to the tumbled stuff. (Perhaps the mild 'peening' action relieved stress in the brass. grin )

I rather suspect there would be substantial reports of rifle blow-ups from the far north where ammo sometimes gets transported for hundreds of miles across rock-hard snow via unsuspensioned sleds. Soft point bullets sometimes have 'pancake' noses if you put them in common plastic ammo boxes. If the action which hammers those lead noses flat isn't hurting the powder, I serious doubt a brief run in a tumbler could.

Tumbler grit - if you're using anything other than plain cob- is probably a lesser concern than the courser grit which lube might attract. And lube on cases probably has greater potential to damage a rifle than the really fine grit found in cases polish anyway.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you worry about tumbling, this works great. Polish while you watch TV.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.