Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall

Battue -1. Target shooting 'CAN' be relative to the TARGET size. Very Good Point.

2. Funny isn't it? We really don't NEED a comp. rifle/load/bullet to hit LIFE SIZE game.

Jerry

Yes. Hitting a Deer, Moose or other big game in the shoulders, doesn't take the same accuracy as one used for Groundhogs to be successful.

Problem for most of us is BG hunting time is limited. Bench time not so much. No fun to sit at the bench and shoot 2in groups while your Buds and the internet are kicking your butt with small groups. So most naturally move to expecting little groups along with thinking it is a requirement. For all but extreme ranges it isn't.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
For some, that article may be information more so than it is affirmation.

It's too bad that everyone wasn't born as reptiles are, knowing every damn thing.

You're right, nobody was born knowing everything.

However, people who think they were born knowing everything are everywhere.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I didn't read the article.

My K1 weighs 6.5# with a Loopy FX3 6x42 and a round in the chamber.

I practiced. A lot.

The rifle shot 1.25" at 200 yards. Many 1/2" groups at 100.

Whatever happened to practice?

Hunt Africa while you can
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
That would be correct.
IME you are better off to hold the rifle as you would shooting in the field.

My view too, especially with light rifles. I hold the fore end when zeroing, and rest the back of my hand on the rest, just as I would when using an improvised rest in the field.

I do agree with what the author of that article said about the importance of consistency in your hold though. Things like getting the buttplate on the same place each time, your elbows in the same place each time, do make a difference. After all, the bullet is in the barrel as the rifle starts to recoil, and if the rifle recoils differently each time it is apt to send the bullet in a different direction, especially with a light rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by battue
If a second shot is necessary, I doubt if I will have 3minutes all that often to get it off. So it seems a little contrary to wait 3-5minutes between shots as the author recommends to find out how well your LW performs from the bench and equate it to the field.

Some rifles do walk their shots as they warm up, and it is worth knowing about (and doing something about if you can). My little drilling (6lbs bare) starts to walk its shots after the first two or three, for example, unless given a bit of time to cool down. You won't know that it does if you never try.

Having said that, I usually take my time when at the range, in order to minimise bore erosion.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I go slow at 100 yards. I'm looking mostly for zero and groups,just to see what it will do.

Next stop is 300 yards field prone,without the bags. I cycle three in quick succession,as you might want to do on an animal. Light rifle or heavy does not matter, I treat them the same.

What happens at 300 yards is way more important than 100,which gives a hint but does not tell a whole story.

A good stress relieved barrel will take that sort of treatment in stride,even a "0" to #2 contour,without throwing crazy shots.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That is a good test. I like to practice off hand at 50 yds., sitting at 100-250 yds. and some sort of supported position at 300.
In all cases, I try to shoot at least twice for an 8-10 inch group as fast as I can hit it. I like to start from standing with the rifle on safe.
This where I get reminded that if I use a shooting sling, my shooting from 100 yds. out gets alot better. Both faster and better groups. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I found that some of his points were pretty good, but some of it was nonsense.
The part about being square behind the rifle, and not allowing any side pressures when shooting from a bench is dead on. That applies to not so light rifles as well, and from field positions.
But his comments of about shooting with a sling is simply nonsense. His comments about shooting off of a bipod were only a little better.
Sure, some rifles with flexible stocks, including some that have bedded barrels, do shoot off when using a shooting sling. BTW, using less pressure on the shooting sling might allow the bullet to land closer to your bench zero, but it usually still pulls the rifle off of it's zero.
The solution(s) is/are simple. One can free float the rifle's barrel, or one can use a stock that doesn't flex so much. Or one can use a shooting sling, like the Safari Ching Sling, that pulls down instead of to the left like the classic military version. Whatever one does, above all, test the rifle from the field positions that you will be using. I don't find many benches in the field.
It's called learning how to shoot the rifle so that one hits what needs to hit, consistently. Or one can call it realistic testing. Something checking one's zero ever so often. E

I have highlighted important factors in getting the game. For me the first shot is the most important and most frequently all that's needed!

Groups are for my target rifles.

Hunting rifle accuracy:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny schit!

Dumb Fhuqking Don hasn't been outside in DECADES!!!

CBS.

[Linked Image]

CBS.

[Linked Image]

CBS.

[Linked Image]

CBS.

[Linked Image]

CBS.

[Linked Image]

CBS.

[Linked Image]

Rest assured you are missing everything,if'n you gotta read about YOUR rifle. Pun be intended.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it interesting that we come to a forum like this to "share" information; yet, we make light of those who read the same (and elsewhere) and ask questions to better themselves and to learn. Heck, most here would make light of those same people if they didn't read and learn, if they didn't ask questions, because the information is so readily available to all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I find it interesting that we come to a forum like this to "share" information; yet, we make light of those who read the same (and elsewhere) and ask questions to better themselves and to learn. Heck, most here would make light of those same people if they didn't read and learn, if they didn't ask questions, because the information is so readily available to all.

Agree. It's a shame some think they elevate themselves by putting others down.
There is a wealth of knowledge here but you have to pick through some crap to get to it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whiners will RELIABLY...Whine. Congratulations?!? Furthermore,Whining Clueless Kchunts reliably skirt all things The Rifle. For obvious fhuqking reason(s). Hint.

It's never been tough to cypher who shoots more than a smidge,from who don't. Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial and proficiency cain't be purchased or borrowed. Hint.

IF you have to read about a rifle that's already in in your fhuqking mitts,you are a dumber dumbfhuqk than I had wagered and to be concise,I bet BIG. Laughing!

Passed up a fair to middlin' Buck this morning at the 456yd line,with but 1/2 value wind and let's just say a certain Montucky 20" Baby BR weren't "nervous"...had his backs been stronger.

Not every rifle rates sleeping inside the tent,with me. Rest assured this itty-bitty bastard do.

[Linked Image]

Schit! It's rude not to Post a pic. He was in the saddle below the fog.

[Linked Image]

You ladies need to pry your kchunts from the couch.

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
see what I mean?
Hint............

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't mind Big Stick, aka Boxer, he means well. He just doesn't know how to show it. Aside from trying to decipher his "hints" and removing all of his excessive blather, there is usually something useful in his bloviating and chest thumping. He just doesn't know any better. At least he entertains himself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Do Nothing Kchunts are a hoot!

Grabbed a shower,put some gear away and got talked into a Hasty Buck Looking Jaunt. Had the Baby BR out to the 952yd line and am thinkin' that if the weather swings as it's supposed to tomorrow,I'll sluice a Booner Bear with it. Hint. Laughing!

I'm thinkin' sumptin' like this.

[Linked Image]

As opposed to sumptin' like this.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Film at 11:00.

Laughing!.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
... bear with the Buck Remover....? Say it isn't so.....

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It's despicable to disparage the whole learning process around shooting. Whatever level of competency you have achieved, there's no way you started there. To hear you guys congratulate yourselves one would think you invented the whole sport on a high mountain of spent primers. Not bloody likely!

Try this- contribute something instead of stroking yourselves and each other publicly.

I myself have only recently started working with my first light gun, a really beautiful BSA featherweight sporter in 06 which scoped and loaded is 7#. When I got it, the barrel was un-centered and rubbing on one side in the channel so I floated it without ever firing it (oops). At the range I got very inconsistent results, good groups as well as horrible vertical stringing. Noticing how flexible the forearm is (it's thin and hollow) lead me to experiment with moving my front rest back near the action which settled the strings way down. So now I have added a pressure point with epoxy near the end of the forearm, but I haven't made it back to the range yet.

I am glad to learn these things thru experience, but I don't mind reading some of this stuff either, in a book, a magazine or online. It save money and time and some of the tricks you pick up would be hard to invent.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Peator,

Perhaps you'll set THE benchmark and be the FIRST Clueless Kchunt to have Bitched herself happy? My fingers are cross for you and your "hard charging" ways.

That was REALLY compelling Testimony you submitted,about the piece of fhuqking schit BSA,in the piece of schit chambering and it's piece of fhuqking schit stock. How long do you figure folks will have to wait,until you actually shoot it and weigh back in with your cuttin' edge findings? Laffin'!

Now maybe say something about the piece of schit glass,the piece of schit base and the piece of schit rings you are sporting on that Goat Fhuqk,then quip some ammo "particulars"...as it WILL be fhuqking funny. Show NO "mercy". Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Great time for you to shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to be best served by asking questions,instead of giving "answers". Re-hint.

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch get your kchunt,as you flaunt more of your Imagination and it's "fulfilling" Pretend.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Peator
It's despicable to disparage the whole learning process around shooting. Whatever level of competency you have achieved, there's no way you started there. To hear you guys congratulate yourselves one would think you invented the whole sport on a high mountain of spent primers. Not bloody likely!

Try this- contribute something instead of stroking yourselves and each other publicly.

I myself have only recently started working with my first light gun, a really beautiful BSA featherweight sporter in 06 which scoped and loaded is 7#. When I got it, the barrel was un-centered and rubbing on one side in the channel so I floated it without ever firing it (oops). At the range I got very inconsistent results, good groups as well as horrible vertical stringing. Noticing how flexible the forearm is (it's thin and hollow) lead me to experiment with moving my front rest back near the action which settled the strings way down. So now I have added a pressure point with epoxy near the end of the forearm, but I haven't made it back to the range yet.

I am glad to learn these things thru experience, but I don't mind reading some of this stuff either, in a book, a magazine or online. It save money and time and some of the tricks you pick up would be hard to invent.

Peator, you are just polishing a turd working on that stock. Toss that flimsy POS and bed your rifle to a good handle. You'll be miles ahead and won't need to learn any tricks to get it too shoot.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice insults boxer! So generic too, you could use those in almost any situation again and again. A few verbs and some weird spelling, presto.

Another way to go would be a little more specific. Like this- I bet you are actually a repressed homosexual, (don’t get me wrong, it’s the repressed part you need to work on, it’s fine that you’re gay), with at least one failed marriage under your belt and probably estranged from at least a few members of your family, your dad was probably not very nice to you, he almost certainly knew and just didn't know how to handle it. If you deny it it’s an obvious lie, and if you dismiss or avoid the topic, it’s obviously true. Actually it’s already obviously true, so just skip ahead to the part where you start misspelling cuss words again. That’s so amazing!

Back to the rifle I am curious how folks would have handles that, pressure point or full length barrel bed?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,258
Posts18,448,140
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.