Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I posted this GR knife I put togeather a few weeks ago. Since that time I traded it to a guy on another site for some 22LR ammo (or so I thought). Anyway the guy didn't have a mail box on his house (or something) and couldn't figure out how to ship ammo (or something) so I Didn't get any ammo and USPS returned my knife.
Instead of getting upset over the deal I took it as a sign that I should just keep this one so I got ambitious and made a sheath for it a couple of days ago.
It's crude in comparison to what the pro's turn out but I'm not a pro, just need a way to carry it.
I made it left handed so I can carry a handgun or sling a rifle on my right side. Not sure how that's gonna work out but it should be OK once I get used to it.

What do you think?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nothin to be ashamed of thats for sure. Looks alot better than my first attempt. A little hint, a strip of leather in the middle (welt) will help prevent the knife from cutting the stitching. Keep up the good work.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks great.

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DaleAtkerson
A little hint, a strip of leather in the middle (welt) will help prevent the knife from cutting the stitching.

[Linked Image]
I use horse hide for the welt. It's cheap and tuff.
The welt on this one is cut to also protect the inside row of stitching.

The thing that gives me the most grief is burnishing the edges (obviously).
I've tried a few different ways but just can't get em as smooth as the pro's.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sharp!!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Field grade sand it with 220 grit sandpaper. Wet it them rub saddle soap on it. Rub briskly with an old hammer handle(or something solid) to polish it up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Mike. I've sanded and rubbed my ass off. I even tried chucking a brass dowel up in my drill press (suggested by an internet expert) but I haven't tried saddle soap before rubbing. I'm out right now but I'll pick some up when I go to town Friday.

BTW,,, I've already oiled it with Neets. Do you think the saddle soap will still work?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
yes

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Check out You Tube, there are several tutorials that illustrate the process for burnishing the edge of sheaths and other leather projects. Also search eBay for "leather edge slickers" there are a multitude of designs available, both hand used and Dremel powered and kits with all the necessary materials. Check Tandy's website too for tools, materials and instructions.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/31/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
...or just listen to Mike, he knows just a little bit

Check out my new website

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never said he didn't smartazz, just offering additional information. Something positive unlike your snide remark.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Easy gunwiz, Dale knows a thing or two his dam self and was also trying to help.

Like I said earlier, I've tried some of the things recommended on-line to no avail so respectfully, "look at you-tube" isn't all that helpful since 90% of the crap on there is BS anyway. I'd much rather hear your own hands on technique (if you have one).
I know Mike has one because I own two of his sheaths so I'll try the 220 grit and saddle soap and go from there but I'd still be interested in hearing how you do it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You have to make your own judgement as to the value of You Tube information. I also suggested Tandy's website, I use one of Tandy's slickers and their edge finish and dye. Hope this is helpful, I too sand the edge after gluing and stitching preparatory to slicking and dying. Good luck with your project, I am a hobby knifemaker and have been doing leatherwork since the early 70's so I know a thing or two too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Similar to some of the above advise.
Burnish with some "tired" fine grit sandpaper.
Wet with something mentioned above and use the brass dowel hand held to rub surface smooth. Get a better shine by finishing with a polish or bees wax based preservative.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your sheath looks great. Nice combination of hand crafted knife & sheath

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Burnish with some "tired" fine grit sandpaper.

Thanks Tim
After Mike's post I actually did sand the edge with some "tired" 150 grit (didn't have any 220 on hand). I had been using a coarser grit. The finer grit seems to actually remove more material than the course if that makes sense. It got rid of most of the peach-fuzz so I think I'm headed in the right direction. Just need some saddle soap and I'll get back after it.

Thanks to everyone.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just like Tim said too. You're pretty much there. 220 or finer with a little saddle soap or the like to finish and buffing is about as good as you can ask for and its simple. Mike as usual covered it, but I suspect he's only made a thousand or two conservatively. Experience is where it's at...

Looks like its taking more material because it's getting smoother. Sheath and knife both look great.

Check out my new website

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The OPs original question.
"What do you think?"

I think you have been bitten and are headed down a long slippery slope.
I am sure you have already got the next project festering in your mind.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uncle Fester!......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Uncle Fester!......

I've been called worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.