Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's an unusual gun I traded for a number of years back. It's a custom 9mm Luger, work done by master gunsmith John Dewey, father and grandfather of the Dewey cleaning rod folks. I contacted Dewey, talked to the grandson who related that his grandfather wasn't a good record keeper. Thus, there are no records of when he did the work. The barrel inscription says "barrel by J. Dewey", so I assume he made it, too.

This thing shoot like a rifle and has a really good trigger for a Luger. Mr. Dewey fitted Micro adjustable sights on the toggle. Pretty neat work, pretty amazing gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Mike.

It is different, for sure.

I haven't seen another just like it.

Evidently Mr. John Dewey was quite a craftsman and innovator.

I don't know how much input he had in establishing the Dewey company, although their official name is "J. Dewey". Their web site says Dewey is a family owned business, started in 1975. I would think this pistol was put together in the '60's.

Not much company history on their web site.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Very interesting Luger. I've only shot one, but it was an "experience" to be sure. Lots of stuff going on, when a Luger barks off. The original sights were dismal.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only the second Dewey Luger I have ever seen, NICE!

The first one was all stock save the same sights and trigger job, was a sweet shooter.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Very interesting Luger. I've only shot one, but it was an "experience" to be sure. Lots of stuff going on, when a Luger barks off. The original sights were dismal.

Yep, those Lugers are different.

Their design, although complicated, requiring lots of intricate machining, is nonetheless condusive to accuracy because of several features. One is the fixed barrel, no slopping around, barrel or slide.

Another positive is the grip shape and angle which is quite ergonomic. A drawback is the notorious Luger trigger. Mr. John did good with this one and I understand that's not an easy task. He was, for sure, a master craftsman. I wish I knew more about him and his work. It seems to be a mystery.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that is just COOL!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Uberlengen!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got some better pictures, the guns deserves as much.

Better photos of "J. Dewey" on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

This shows how he stippled the trigger.

[Linked Image]

Forgot to mention it was Magnaported. I painted the front sight.

[Linked Image]

LONG sight radius.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The rest of them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn that is slick!

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, the old man knew his stuff.

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That thing is cool.

Name recognition is one thing, but good work always looks like good work.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another link.

This gun looks familiar...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11609828

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THIS guy was the master...

John Martz
[Linked Image]

That's a Luger carbine in .38 Super! He had to split the gun down the mag well, toggle and all. Inset just a little metal, re-weld it all back together. Then he put a proper rust blue finish with all the appropriate Nitre blued accents.

John was from my hometown and as a kid I would always bother him at every gun show. First I'd salivate over everything on his table (one saw not one but three .45 ACP Lugers), then I'd bug him for hours about details of how he did it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had forgotten about him, but that post brings up memories.

Yep, super work.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Here's an unusual gun I traded for a number of years back. It's a custom 9mm Luger, work done by master gunsmith John Dewey, father and grandfather of the Dewey cleaning rod folks. I contacted Dewey, talked to the grandson who related that his grandfather wasn't a good record keeper. Thus, there are no records of when he did the work. The barrel inscription says "barrel by J. Dewey", so I assume he made it, too.

This thing shoot like a rifle and has a really good trigger for a Luger. Mr. Dewey fitted Micro adjustable sights on the toggle. Pretty neat work, pretty amazing gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the coolest pistols I've seen in a very, very long time.

That's just awesome!

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded two T/C Contender carbines for it, even swap.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF

All day, every day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF
Good call!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They were pretty nice carbines, one had a Bullberry barrel.

But, I wouldn't trade back... smile

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GunGeek

John Martz
[Linked Image]

That's a Luger carbine in .38 Super! He had to split the gun down the mag well, toggle and all. Inset just a little metal, re-weld it all back together. Then he put a proper rust blue finish with all the appropriate Nitre blued accents.

John was from my hometown and as a kid I would always bother him at every gun show. First I'd salivate over everything on his table (one saw not one but three .45 ACP Lugers), then I'd bug him for hours about details of how he did it.

Checked prices on line. One like mine just sold for $1,500+. John Martz Lugers sell from $2,500 to $5,000+, depending on the work.

Seems Martz did more exotic stuff than Dewey, was more into finish and such. Martz guns are unique works of art, Dewey's are exceptional shooters. At least that's my take on it.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very nice Luger!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wondered how Mr. John Dewey got his logo applied so smoothly and perfectly back in the '60's, prior to computerized laser etching.

Then I got to thinking. This gun is Magnaported. I bet he got those guys to use their EDM process to cut that scrolled name and info on the barrel.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

John Martz
[Linked Image]

Checked prices on line. One like mine just sold for $1,500+. John Martz Lugers sell from $2,500 to $5,000+, depending on the work.

Seems Martz did more exotic stuff than Dewey, was more into finish and such. Martz guns are unique works of art, Dewey's are exceptional shooters. At least that's my take on it.

DF
Yeah that's a good summary; still a cool gun.

I grew up looking at Martz's guns and I was always just amazed at his mastery of his craft; dood was a freaking magician.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those genius types are often pretty eccentric. Bet he was like that.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, you're good. I'd say he was just slightly manic depressive. Super nice one day (like when he let me shoot the .45 Luger he built) and all the other random time when I asked him questions and he suddenly told me to piss off!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd lean more toward OCD, although there are similarities.

It's very hard to assign a diagnosis without more info. Govt. people profile foreign leaders to help understand how they think and the best way to handle them. Lot of them are narcissistic, but so are some of ours... shocked

And, then there are neurotic vs. psychotic variants. If this guy was never "crazy" as being in a psych hospital, it's probably a neurotic rather than psychotic type. Psychotics lose touch with reality, Neurotics act weird, but they know who and where they are.

Cyclothymic is the non psychotic version of Bipolar D/O. A lot of alcoholics in this group, using booze to self medicate. They cycle between hypermania and depression. Some just stay high. They like that feeling and they'll get off their medicine to get the "high" feeling. Sort of a crack head who can pass a piss test... shocked

One can be pretty weird without a formal, psychotic DSM-IV code... grin

OCD's and Bipolars can be very intelligent. A hunting bud has a son who made a perfect 36 score on the ACT. He's pretty crazy. They finally got him adjusted on meds and now he's kicking butt, second year of law school, near the top of his class. And, because he has a disability, you and I are paying a full ticket...

Everyone is different.

My business partner says you need to put personality disorders where their pathology will work for them. We have a fairly well controlled OCD who does a wonderful job with collection.... wink

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hmmm ... pretty insightful psychology.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Robert,

every so often, i get that reminder that you enjoy handguns.

a very nice rig, and the P 08 has always been a fascination, due to the very ingenious mechanisms within. when custom work is added into the mix, it becomes doubly interesting.

i recall Dewey and his bullet spinner, the straight-line bullet seater , etc., from the early to mid '70's.

back in the late 1970's, i would often frequent this fellow's gunshop, who lived about 10 miles from my home--he and i would visit for hours in his shop, while our wives would visit in the house. since you like the Mausers, engravings, etc., i'll post a link to his webpage, for your familiarity/review of his work:

http://customgunmaker.com/customgun_005.htm

i learned a thing or two from him during that time...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Checked the link.

Wow! That guy is talented. He can do about anything.

I have a friend here in my hometown who does great wood and metal work. Steve does all that and engraves.

This guy's name is James Flynn. He restored the Askins Superposed. Well the wood, we didn't do anything with the metal.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719&start=280

http://www.terrywieland.com/James-Flynn-bio.htm

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
DF,

Mr. Flynn is very talented, and with him practicing the trade for 37 years, he and Steve are likely about the same age, and have possibly met at some point in time.

you are fortunate to have someone of his skill nearby, as one can easily pick up useful tips on an informal basis--which is really great medicine.

my old mentor Bill B. really hated the 9 MM, and he always referred to it as the "9 MM Lugger".

really do enjoy reading your very well written posts--always interesting...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Jerry.

Coming from you, that means a lot.

DF

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Dirtfarmer, it was a pleasure both talking and working with you. The Dewey luger is in it's new home. I cant wait to introduce it to it's long lost brother and sister below. The work on the gun is fantastic and the trigger is great!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by plastikosmd; 10/01/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Found your post doing a search. Had missed it earlier.

Glad the Dewey found some good friends... laugh

Those are nice.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.