Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout. I am wanting to get a cast bullet load for just general shooting....steel plates, dirt clods...stuff like that.
The bullet I really want to work for me is the RCBS 30-180-FN. I have this mold and like it.
Does anyone have a good load for this? Im wanting to stay super sonic...1300-1500 fps range.
There is not a lot of data out there and what is out there is for AR and jacket bullets.
Im Looking for ideas.....
Thanks
Mark

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Life of a test pilot is never boring.

Put on your interpolating hat and polish up your Google-Fu.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/300-aac-blackout/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/300_ACC_Blackout_Data.pdf

Took me about 2.74 seconds to find the above. Upper end of the velocity spectrum you propose will generate pressures your lead bullet may object to...

Rhetorical question is why that bullet and velocity? What is your objective? The cartridge was designed for subsonic performance, most guns chambered for it have fast twists that to some degree don't play nicely with lead unless it is hardened quite a bit. Been my experience that slow kills fine if you can put it where needed.

A .30-30 would likely be more logical/easier/funner case to work with.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bingo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The cartridge was designed for subsonic performance,

While partly true, the 300 is a dual purpose round; it was also designed around supersonic performance with light bullets, duplicating 7.62x39 ballistics.

I also question why the mid-heavy weight bullet like that 180? It's a bit light for subsonics, but too heavy for decent supersonic ballistics from the 300.

There are not many lightweight cast bullets that work well in the Blackout, but several in the 150gr range that do very well. The Lee and NOE 155gr SP bullets both do well, and can be pushed to nearly the same velocity as 125gr jacketed bullets. For a bolt gun, I'd consider one of the 150gr flat point cast bullet designs too.

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ouch....licking my wounds....
I will see if I can answer....

I bought the rifle as a fun gun...the cases are fun and cheap to make.
I like casting and shooting lead bullets.
The 180gr RCBS is cool looking and I own it....that all.
I have lighter LEE molds but they don't feed as well.
I am not going to suppress it.
I have a 110gr jacketed load for killing stuff.
So I was looking for a load with the 180(just cause I like it) I have tried some loads H4198 and Longshot. I was thinking the same thing about the fast twist and lead bullets...4198 shows some promise...wondering about 1680 and RL7. I had found the Nosler info but not the Accurate...so thanks. I could shoot the standard H110/296 stuff but have never really like those powders in handguns with cast bullets?? so I just steered clear.
Im looking more for a fun economy load. I said 1300-1500fps but Im not married to it. Sighted in is sighted in...so once I find the load that shoots Ill go with that. I doubt I hunt with it unless its a varmint or pest. But its a fun shooter and nice size and recoil is nothing. So far I like it. But shooting store bought jacketed bullets takes the Economy out of it.

Mark

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
What lighter Lee molds do you have, and do they feed poorly in the Blackout, or just other cartridges you've tried? The Lee 155gr SP (the 7.62x39 bullet) should feed 100% in the Blackout.

If you're only looking for 1300-1500 fps and want an economy load, you can get there with the faster powders, and use less of them. AA9 or 2400 will work. With slower powders, you should be able to hit 1700-1800 fps with that 180. I sometimes shoot a 170gr cast (old H&G #20 mold) from mine at about 1700, but that's a shorter barrel than yours.

You should be able to hit 2200-2300 fps with the Lee 155gr if you wanted to from that bolt gun.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/02/15.
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks
I have the 120 RN and 115 FP.
I think the RN will be fiNE if I wanna make it work. I will look at that 155gr.

Mark

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark, what you want to do might work out, or not, depends on a lot of variables. If I were inclined to try what you contemplate the very first thing on the agenda would be to slug the bore and determine precisely what your groove/land dims are. Some might suggest you also do a pound cast of the chamber but I'd not do that until it was demonstrated that all else had failed.

If you want to push a large chunk of lead with the cartridge you're going to have fairly high pressure unless you are content with cat sneeze loads. With other objectives at hand the next step would be to insure proper size/fit of the bullet. Some will tell you groove + /002", but I don't think it necessary. Start with .001" over groove and see what happens.

The bullet obviously needs to be gas checked. I suggest you start with an alloy of 50/50 wheelweights and linotype. If you are not up to speed on what pressure does to different alloys, take a look at the following web page.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Look about 1/3 down the page on the right. My suggestion for the lino/WW alloy goes to the point of having a hard alloy to deal with the 7" twist without quenching or heat treating for additional hardness.

OTOH, left to my own devices I'd set a lower velocity objective, mix a 30:1 lead/tin alloy and hope I could get away with something in the 700-800 fps range. Maybe, maybe not. Would use the bullet below in the lower tier and kill stuff with that one. Is a .309" 185 grain from a Brooks mould. If that didn't work I'd revise the alloy to higher BHN, maybe around 10 or so and try again.

[Linked Image]

It doesn't take a lot of velocity to kill stuff if it is properly placed, and even on the best of days, the BO does not generate a lot of velocity.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok...Update.
I have had some success with RL7 and the 180gr cast. The bullet sized lubed and GC weighs 200gr. I have a load that will do right around an inch at 100 yrds and the speed is 1260 fps.
I also tried the lighter 120 gr LEE bullets I have and I think they feed better than I originally thought. Im going to look at those some more.
The stock on the rifle is flimsy so that kinda makes it harder to shoot consistently. And I agree the 1-7" twist is pretty aggressive for cast bullets. But Im sticking with it. Its a fun round.

Mark

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.