-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 2x7 Redfield Widefield I would like too mount on my 1951 model 70 in .270 When I bought the rifle,it had a Weaver KV scope with 2 pc Weaver mounts.The scope rings are Weaver steel detachable low rings.I see there is not much clearance between the bolt and scope with this rig.There is no way my Widefield scope with the wide "TV" eyepiece will work using whats on the rifle.I want to use the the lowest scope rings possible.If I have to use High Rings in order to have clearance,then I will be looking for another scope.Will be using it for whitetails this Fall.Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have the same scope mounted on a pre64 7MM. I used leupold medium rings and bases. If you can't find something that works for you I'd be interested in the scope if you want to part with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2005 a guy in Alaska died and his nephew down here sold me the 1956 M70 with Redfield 2x7 Widefield on it for $585.

I replaced the barrel, stock, scope, bases, rings, sling, and added a bipod.
And then I killed 9 deer with it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like GSPfan said, you should be good to go with Leu. Meds. While I don't have a widefield mounted currently, I seem to remember that if a current production Leu. (not a compact) will fit with occular clearance, the Widefield I had would too in the same ring set-up.

John

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
+1 to everything said. I would add that in my experience any thing with a type 1 clover leaf receiver has a slightly higher bolt rise, and needs medium rings regardless of scope choice. I know that your gun probably is a type 2, but it just seemed applicable.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I got it too work ok with Weaver Top mounts-I now see that you can only use mediums with the "newer" scopes ,or maybe even high's if going with scope covers for clearance.Even with the older scopes with smaller diameter eye pieces,I see some of those rifles that someone ground the bolt in order to get clearance.I sure like low rings,but like mentioned in other posts-its really not possible with these old guns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woodsman4ever
I got it too work ok with Weaver Top mounts-I now see that you can only use mediums with the "newer" scopes ,or maybe even high's if going with scope covers for clearance.Even with the older scopes with smaller diameter eye pieces,I see some of those rifles that someone ground the bolt in order to get clearance.I sure like low rings,but like mentioned in other posts-its really not possible with these old guns.

Says who? I run lows on most of my pre's. I don't like small scopes either... wink I also believe it's sacrilege to grind on a bolt handle. Unless it's an old enfield or something like that... laugh : Also, if you do decide to go with a different/newer scope on your model 70, keep I mind there are different brands out there than Leupold. I often hear how the oculars are too big on the leupys for the pre's, but I don't think they are bigger than most European manufactured scopes. Zeiss for example: I run medium rings on my Zeiss scopes because of the bigger oculars, but drop down to lows for my 3-9x40 Burris FFII 3-9x40's... The older American made Burris FFII's are pretty damn good scopes and work great on the pre's with low rings. I've also used Nikon scopes with no problems... The most important thing to keep in mind when mounting a scope is how your head positions on the stock. Mounting height of the scope should be adjusted to your style of shooting with your eye alignment (to scope) with proper cheek weld to the stock.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well thanks for the input on the low rings-what is the brand of mount and the brand of rings you use on that Burris set-up you have?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woodsman4ever
Well thanks for the input on the low rings-what is the brand of mount and the brand of rings you use on that Burris set-up you have?

I much prefer Leupold dual dovetails to just about anything I've tried:

30-06 fwt:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

338 Alaskan with the same type of mounts/rings (low DD's):
[Linked Image]

I also had my 270 fwt set up that way:
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Talley lightweights (lows or mediums) would also work for your old Weaver scope. Here are some I had on my 30-06 fwt. I've since taken the hubble off and replaced it with a smaller scope:

These were medium Talleys:
[Linked Image]

A good set of Leupold PRW's work as well. These are mediums because of the 44mm objective:
[Linked Image]

When it is possible, I like to go with strong light mounts and rings but with my 375 H&H I wanted to go really robust with the PRW's. They are not a bad set-up..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice set-ups you got there!I'll have to check out those American-made Burris scopes if I see one at a gun show sometime.What is the stock you have on your 375?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BSA that black and grey rifle is the nicest pre'64 I believe I've ever seen. What was the % of each color? powdr

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. The stock on the 375 H&H is a McMillan pre 64 montecarlo pattern mcswirl with the old coyote bomber colors. I used to have the stock on my fwt 30-06, but it was too heavy for my likings. I transferred it over to the 375 and it seems to be a match made in heaven.

Coyote bomber (oldstyle colors):

50/25/25 Dark Grey/Black/Med Tan

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I just mounted a Redfield 2-7 wide angle scope (the one that looks like a TV screen)on a transition era M70 300 Savage. I did have to remove the rear sight and put a blank in the slot but other than that no issues. A classic scope on a classic rifle now we wait for deer season.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I just mounted a Redfield 2-7 wide angle scope (the one that looks like a TV screen)on a transition era M70 300 Savage. I did have to remove the rear sight and put a blank in the slot but other than that no issues. A classic scope on a classic rifle now we wait for deer season.

There was one mounted on the Remington 760 I just bought, but I told the gunshop owner to keep it. He took $50.00 off the price of the rifle. It looked great and fitting on the rifle like it belonged there, but the scope was real cloudy. When they are not compromised/fogged, they are nice little scopes.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
BSA there is just something about a period correct scope on a vintage rifle. I have a 270FWT with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5X10 so I do use and like more modern scopes as well. The Redfield 2-7WA has a better field of view than the compact 2-7 leupold. I have Redfield 2-7 widae angle TV screen scopes on both the 300 Savage and a 7MM carbine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's cool until they fog up on you. But that can happen with any scope. The optical clarity of the new glass is a bit better too, even in the cheaper Burris FFII's I generally use. However, you are correct in that the older scopes look more fitting on the older rifles. I like the look, just have seen many that were foggy. My elk hunting partner has used an old Denver 5 star redfield on his elk rifle for over 20 years and it finally puked. He now uses a Nikon Monarch and much prefers the new glass over the old scope..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I had a Burris 1.5-6 on my .416 Taylor puke in Africa of all places. Fortunately the PH had a spare. I had to send a Leupold 4.5x14 back once also. Things happen it's just the way it is. A shot at a Whitetail here is rarely over 100 yards so a lot of scope isn't necessary.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Redfield Widefield scopes would be period correct on 1970's era Winchesters....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.