Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I bought a new Tradition 32 can gun, and took it out a few weeks ago to fire it. It was a hot Arizona day,so I just fire it 4 times to see how it preformed. On getting home I read the manual about removing a plug opposite the nipple port so it could be easier to flush out the barrel. I used a Froster screw diver that properly fit the screw slot, and it was too shallow to get a bite, and slipped out. No way could I remove it, so wrote to Traditions. After several email, this is their response.
Hi Rachel

I ran the pictures by the gunsmith and he said that it should come back . He will do a complete cleaning and inspection on the gun ( CLIF Service ) and see if he can remove the damaged tang screw . For him to do the cleaning and inspection there will be a 54.95 fee . Removing and replacing the screw is part of the CLIF Service . If he can’t get the screw out and it requires that the barrel be replaced then there will be no charge on the CLIF Service just the normal price new barrel . Let me know what send the gun in and I will set up the return paperwork .

John Holmes

Customer Service Representative

1375 Boston Post Rd.

Old Saybrook, CT 06475

Phone: 1-860-388-4656 ext. 204

john.holmestraditionsfirearms.com

I am taking it to my gunsmith, and just wanted to share. So much for their warranty. Did I forget shipping costs.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should you get it fixed, put some anti-seize on it. Choke tube lube works great. Do that before you shoot it again. If you do that you will never have a problem with it again. I dont know why manufacturers cant do that when they put them together.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Put Choke Tube Lube on the nipple threads also.
What powder were you using...... 777?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if thats the clean out screw you are talking about, its highly worthless and I dont even bother removing mine for cleaning.

If you do want to get it out and its super tight, you'll need to boil a pot of water and stick that end of the barrel into there and let it sit for a bit before trying to remove it with your screw driver.

Keep a small hammer on hand as well. If you can't get it to break loose, sometimes giving the screw driver a few helpful taps with the hammer while applying pressure in the direction to remove the screw, will help it break loose. Just like using a slap hammer.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The slot is too shallow to remove, but it irks me to be charged $54 for a cleaning, then they will check to see if they can fix it. Anyway, off to my smithy to repair. I have anti seize and will dope a little on the threads before I shoot it again. Been wanting a .32 for a while. My Beck is rough and hard to push a ball down it after 2 shots. Bore is rough, but still shootable. I use black powder, not the modern stuff. I think later I'm gong to remove the glossy blue, and brown rust it. This was mail order, and I hoped for a more realistic rifle like my old timer.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this.
I've been looking at the Traditions 32cal myself and I was also under the impression that it was brown.
I've also read that they have an aluminum ram rod. Not a deal breaker but hardly "Tradition"al.

Like you, I don't rely much on customer service but when I do need it I certainly don't expect to have to pay for it.

Good luck with your rifle.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's not traditional, but do yourself a favor and once you get it out replace it with a socket head set screw that uses an Allen wrench.

Last edited by Semisane; 08/30/15.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 681 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.