Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
1917, If you get the hots for another, Grice's in Clearfield, Pa. usually has between 10-20 on the used rack.. I am guessing at that figure, but I check the used stuff there when I am in the area.. Mostly 06's, and .270's.. But some 243, 308, 7mm08, .25-06 once in a while..
I am not sure the chambered them for the .35 Whelen, but I think I may have seen a couple of those.. Will kind of miss my whitetail trip there this year..

I bet, I was in the Pittsburgh area with my dad last year and it was nice to be up there again...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, I have looked at those racks almost every year since I retired in 99.. For a while I was there a couple times a year, I am not sure if I ever saw a left hand model.. But Pa. does NOT allow semi autos for deer hunting or any hunting as far as rifles.. That is the place I would keep checking for a left hand model.. I probably did see some, and since I am right handed, it didn't stick.. Since Rem. produced them, I am certain Grice had some pass though the store, just didn't pay attention.. Sorry.. If I can remember, I will double check on my next visits, but they won't be til 2016.. But I should be there two different trips..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks wyocoyotehunter...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dang whelen nut. You'd think with a name like yours, you would have been telling me to turn it into a 35 Whelen or use the heavies in the 30-06 at least. Now what the hell am I going to do with these good 200gr. bullets??? grin. Most of my shots on elk here, have been sub 100 yards in the timber. I appreciate all of your comments. How do you guys feel about midnight blue cerakoting???? This rifle has a few scratches and a few light spots of rust that will come off pretty easily, but I'd like to have it cerakoted by my local guy that does a hell of a job so it is more weatherized. We get a lot of rain here sometimes during elk season...Here is my 338 win mag that I had cerakoted in midnight blue. I'm thinking about going with the same color on the 760. Is it sacrilege??? :

[Linked Image]

bsa

If those 200's shoot well, use them. That 200gr will certainly do what is necessary to put some elk steaks on your grill.

I still think the Whelen is an outstanding round for elk, moose, and bears but not needed for deer. And I surely wouldn't spend the $$ to rebore your rifle!

WN

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 08/30/15.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That 'Midnight Blue' cerakote is very nice!

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shot my 760 06 today. 180 Fusions went right into an inch group, no need to load for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I shot my 760 06 today. 180 Fusions went right into an inch group, no need to load for it.

No surprise, there. cool

I have learned that 760's and 7600's with Federal ammo is a good combination.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MagMarc

No need, unless you enjoy that kind of thing or want to wring a little more accuracy out of it. Sounds like a great shooter. I've heard these 760's shoot and have seen 1 that shot very consistent sub moa. Almost had my azz handed to me by a young guy (21 years old), who could shoot that damn thing like nobodies business. We were shooting in a hunting rifle class offhand shoot, no sling support. Smallest steel plate was 4" and I nailed mine every shot. The guy shooting the 760, nailed his 7 out of 10 times and also busted the egg hanging by a string. The egg counted for a lot more points than the 4" steel plates, so needless to say it was a close match.. blush. That match really changed the way I felt about the Remington 760...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard these 760's shoot and have seen 1 that shot very consistent sub moa.

I've shot alongside Whelen Nut on numerous occasions @ 400 yds.
His 7600 in .270 will have you picking your jaw off the bench. grin

They're not supposed to do that - but they can - and do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My brothers 760 270 is the same way.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my encounters with 760’s and 7600’s, far more have shot well than not. In fact I’d say all but one have been capable of 1” or smaller groups at 100 yards.

But we all know modern big game, including elk, requires ½” groups.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I saw one once that shot well....the 1.5moa standard....and it was <gasp> a .270

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
BSA my 760 in o6 will stabilize the Orig Barnes 250 gr quite well. With Factory 250 gr load it was dead on at 100 yards favorite 180 gr load 1.5 " high. The 760 never seemed to loose its zero also.

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/06/15.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a 760 in 270 awhile back and of the four 270s in residence, it is easily as accurate as the CLR and a Husqvarna-built S&W "A" and more accurate than the Ruger 77 RSI. This is shooting 130 grain Hornady American Whitetail and Winchester/Olin Power-Max Bonded.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome info guys. Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty happy with this ol girl. I've made comments in the past about "if I ever find a good left handed 760, I might just get rid of my pre 64's". I don't see that happening any time soon, but I can see this one growing on me. We'll see how she does this hunting season. Hopefully I'll get to make a shot on a nice bull with it!!!

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome info guys. Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty happy with this ol girl. I've made comments in the past about "if I ever find a good left handed 760, I might just get rid of my pre 64's". I don't see that happening any time soon, but I can see this one growing on me. We'll see how she does this hunting season. Hopefully I'll get to make a shot on a nice bull with it!!!

You know, you can enjoy both...
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these years, I'm going to have to have a 760 synthetic stocked, rebarreled to 9.3x62, with the big magazine, tritium front sight, flip up barrel sight, QD rings with a good scope, and a BUIS receiver sight.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
One of these years, I'm going to have to have a 760 synthetic stocked, rebarreled to 9.3x62, with the big magazine, tritium front sight, flip up barrel sight, QD rings with a good scope, and a BUIS receiver sight.

Sounds plenty bad azz, to me! cool

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK

You know, you can enjoy both...
Bob

laugh

BSA MAGA
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My experience of one 760 (which makes me an expert) in 30-06 found it to be pretty accurate-1-1.5 inch groups at 100 off the bench were no problem. The recoil with the original buttplate was pretty stout-much more than any other 30-06 I had experienced then. Dad agreed and it got a Pachmayr right quick. Still gets your attention but a neat rifle anyway that would be handy to carry.

Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by 4ager

Sounds plenty bad azz, to me! cool

Swap that synthetic stock out for a collapsible and add a Picatinny rail under the barrel for your light and you will have something that puts that Mossberg Tactical Lever Action everyone wants to shame!
grin

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.