Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am sure we all have had on occasion to view a beautiful rifle with great wood and metal built by an unknown builder. Usually priced fairly high because of the build. My question is what is the appropriate amount to spend on a rifle like this vs a rifle by a well known builder. I know hard to say.

I am currently looking at a rifle built by WA Sukalle. I believe price is a little high as it is knocking at 2K. I have bought another rifle built by Sukalle and only paid 850. I own several rifles built by Charlie Flaig. I believe he is better known locally than nationally.

The whole thing boils down to whether I am buying as an investment or just out of the love of the work.

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

Oscar Wilde
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unless you are looking at a custom rifle built for, and used by, say, Jack O'Connor, the seller is never likely to recover the initial build price of the rifle.

If you look at the prices commanded by some of the top rifle makers today, you are in the tens of thousands in some instances. For that kind of dough, a customer wants something built specifically for him, and is not likely to spend those kind of bucks to buy something built for someone else.

IMO, unless you are buying at dirt-cheap prices, it's not an investment. Consider it as buying art, doing so because you really like it.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Unless you are looking at a custom rifle built for, and used by, say, Jack O'Connor, the seller is never likely to recover the initial build price of the rifle.

If you look at the prices commanded by some of the top rifle makers today, you are in the tens of thousands in some instances. For that kind of dough, a customer wants something built specifically for him, and is not likely to spend those kind of bucks to buy something built for someone else.

IMO, unless you are buying at dirt-cheap prices, it's not an investment. Consider it as buying art, doing so because you really like it.
Well said - and spot on..

The OP's statement about $2K being a bit high was interesting.. My wife's cousin, before he retired, was building rifles that brought $25K. I saw one of 'em back in about '99 and was completely awed by the craftsmanship and time dedicated to end up with that magnificent rifle.. That stock alone had to run at least $10K alone. NO WAY would I ever actually HUNT with something that nice.., much less take it to Africa (it was a .416 Rigby).

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Redneck

The OP's statement about $2K being a bit high was interesting.. My wife's cousin, before he retired, was building rifles that brought $25K. I saw one of 'em back in about '99 and was completely awed by the craftsmanship and time dedicated to end up with that magnificent rifle.. That stock alone had to run at least $10K alone. NO WAY would I ever actually HUNT with something that nice.., much less take it to Africa (it was a .416 Rigby).

I guess the point I was trying to make and the question I should have asked....if buying a piece of art would the artist name ,WA Sukalle, make the piece worth more than an unknown builder whose work appeared equally as good. I have seen many pieces that were beautiful and the artist unknown. Would one pay a premium for a known maker instead of unknown.

Last edited by ekp; 08/27/15.

Oscar Wilde
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The artist's name can enhance the value. Actually a Sukalle is a nice rifle.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A follow-up to my previous post-

I bought one of those full-out custom rifles, some time past. It was a Ruger #1, built by such artists as stockmaker Al Lind and metal engraver Ray Viramontez, and fitted with a Shilen barrel. It was offered by Guns Magazine as a closed bid auction, proceeds to benefit the Olympic Shooters Fund. No, it wasn't built specifically for me, but from the photos and descriptions, it was something that really appealed to me.
Mine was the high bid, and once the rifle was in my possession, it went into my gun safe, where it stayed for a number of years. I would take it out occasionally to clean it up, or show it to friends, or whatever. Then, one day it occurred to me that it if I didn't shoot it, the rifle was nothing more than a museum piece, that I would never recover my money from, tax deduction notwithstanding.
So, I mounted up a scope, fireformed some .280 brass into .280 RCBS for which it was chambered, worked up a load for it, and took it elk hunting, where I shot the biggest bull elk I have ever seen, before or since. I still take this rifle out of the safe every once in awhile, just to admire the wood, checkering and engraving, and the wonderful balance it has. Someday, one of my sons, or my grandson, will own it, hopefully to also appreciate it as a fine piece of artwork.
I guess this rifle totally changed my perspective on custom, wood stocked rifles, and why one should own one (or more). I intend to do more hunting with this very special rifle- probably not in driving rain or snowy blizzards, but on hunts I intend to remember as much as that elk hunt. Who knows, maybe this fall for a big New Mexico Muley?

Last edited by Bighorn; 08/27/15.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you are looking at a custom rifle built for, and used by, say, Jack O'Connor, the seller is never likely to recover the initial build price of the rifle....

Kind of like custom homes, custom cars, custom jewelry, custom boats, ....

This is my 50th year of sporterizing Mausers, and I have never made a dime.
You have to want to do it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a custom on a pre 64 M70 in 300 Win mag. I got it not long ago for less than 500 sans scope.

It shot really well in a previous session but not so great the other day.

I will get it going.

I have it loaded with 155 Bergers over a moderate load of Varget.

All I want is 3006 ballistics

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never buy or commission a custom rifle for investment purposes. wink The same thing can be said for a lot of material things and I wouldn't let that stop me from owning a few.

As far as what's it worth, there are just too many variables such as style and workmanship to say.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Could I get a quote on a full custom Remington 742 for you

It needs see-thus and a 6-18 tasco

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Passed on a custom Mauser not long ago, very nice stock and metal work, price wasnt bad, but it was a Turk Mauser action.
If it had been an FN I would have purchased it.

E
ekp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am negotiating on the Sukalle. I do own one and would like to add this one. What would be really interesting is if I could find where his books ended up with dates and names of who he built rifles for.

Oscar Wilde
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Custom rifles are play money, toys. Nice to have, but you're buying one for YOU, nobody else, not even your kids.

I appreciate them, but would only pay a "custom" price if the thing was a laser and I'd just won the lottery or something. A parts gun with custom work on the barrel is about my style.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought M.D. might chime in as he has a Sukalle in 257R or at least he has written about it. My recollection is that it's a real shooter. I on the other hand only know what I've read and that's mostly from reading J.O.C's stuff.

Last edited by super T; 08/30/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ekp
I am sure we all have had on occasion to view a beautiful rifle with great wood and metal built by an unknown builder. Usually priced fairly high because of the build. My question is what is the appropriate amount to spend on a rifle like this vs a rifle by a well known builder. I know hard to say.

I am currently looking at a rifle built by WA Sukalle. I believe price is a little high as it is knocking at 2K. I have bought another rifle built by Sukalle and only paid 850. I own several rifles built by Charlie Flaig. I believe he is better known locally than nationally.

The whole thing boils down to whether I am buying as an investment or just out of the love of the work.

To me it would depend on the rifle, how it looked, the level of workmanship, if it "lit my fire", etc.

Well known makers have been known to built different projects for different clients at different price points.

Is this a $2K gun? That would be my question and if I liked it that much.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wood stocked custom rifles cost a fortune to have done these days. 2k is cheap in comparison. I would love to find the perfect fitting model 70 based wood custom. Likely would be same price as factory Supergrade at collector price. Supergrade probably better investment but an older, nice, model 70 custom would be cool to have.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Some folks choose to spend their money as they see fit. After all, it is their money.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's about priorities.

I once asked Scenarshooter why he had such an expensive Binoc/rangefinder. He replied that with such equipment he was able to make shots not otherwise possible. He went on to say he didn't drive a $50K pickup.

So, there you have it.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Could I get a quote on a full custom Remington 742 for you

It needs see-thus and a 6-18 tasco
laugh laugh

You ain't got enough money, bub...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lee,
Looking at his post count, he doesn't have time to shoot anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.