-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've worn a pair of Kayland Vertigo hikers for the past few years. I have zero complaints; the boots fit me very well, offer great support and have a higher heel, but unfortunately the boots are no longer imported.

Can anyone recommend a similar boot? How does the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge High compare?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've worn a pair of Kayland Vertigo hikers for the past few years. I have zero complaints; the boots fit me very well, offer great support and have a higher heel, but unfortunately the boots are no longer imported.

Can anyone recommend a similar boot? How does the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge High compare?

StudDuck:

For decades I wore strong, heavy, all-leather hiking boots with lug soles. They were Kennetrek, or Asolo, or Danner top-of-the-line boots, with Vibram soles. Basically I thought that was the only way to get good ankle support. I still have a pair of Kennetreks and another pair of Danners that are in great shape and quite usable.

Last winter I bought what I thought was a pair of lightweight hikers by Oboz, for day hikes in the foothills around Colorado Springs. They are lightweight compared to what I have been using but by no means flimsy. They have good ankle support, a fiberglass shank, and "rocker" soles, so they are easy to walk in. I've used them on some heavy duty backpack trips this summer and my Danners and Kennetreks might just remain in the closet forever.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had to switch from my favorite Asolo FSN 95's recently, as they discontinued them. I am wearing Salomon Quest 4d 2 gtx. They are expensive and I haven't made it past break in walking yet, but I like them so far.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Kenetreks also sit unused 99% of the time, basically only getting used in the coldest conditions when I won't be moving too much. Instead, I've gone to Keen Targhees and Keen Voyageurs, depending on the conditions, for a weight savings of more than a pound per pair. Also have Asolo Sasslongs, FSN95, and Neutrons that are sometimes used. Several pairs of Danners just sit. KC is right on with the recommendation of the lighter options. Just $0.02.

RLTW
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My favorite hiking boot is my Asolo Sasslongs. If I knew they were being discontinued when I bought mine, I would have bought another pair. I also use them for early season hunting. Great boots IMHO.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1on Oboz

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Oboz look promising.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ditto on the Oboz. Good traction and support, light too.
But mine leaked even in a heavy dew. Took them back to Jax in Ft Collins and got another pair...which also leak. Use them for dry weather and they are great. Brought a pair of Vasque and so far they have all the good things of the Oboz and they don't leak.

Lefty C

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is there a boot built like the Oboz in a 9 EE?

It's the EE that kills most deals for me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Is there a boot built like the Oboz in a 9 EE?

It's the EE that kills most deals for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB861O2...CXLF&coliid=I3GLKJ48CWPNN7&psc=1

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Studduck: Last year prior to heading to Kodiak Island for a goat hunt, I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets, as did my son who lives there. I was more than pleased. However, there were 2 additional things that stood out other than their performance:

1) despite all the recommendations saying how much time you should spend in the boots prior to the hunt, I honestly could have laced them up the day of the hunt and experienced no problems. They were-are incredibly comfortable.

) I bought them from an outfit called Lathrop and Sons in Indiana. Their expertise over the phone in sizing was perfect. I was a little concerned re: their final size recommendation, but I took it and it was perfect. They spent a LOT of time over the phone in getting me to measure my foot properly. This outfit is top notch.

I'm sure there are lots of top notch boots, but these are surely one of them.

My 2 cents worth.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Studduck: Last year prior to heading to Kodiak Island for a goat hunt, I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets, as did my son who lives there. I was more than pleased. However, there were 2 additional things that stood out other than their performance:

1) despite all the recommendations saying how much time you should spend in the boots prior to the hunt, I honestly could have laced them up the day of the hunt and experienced no problems. They were-are incredibly comfortable.

) I bought them from an outfit called Lathrop and Sons in Indiana. Their expertise over the phone in sizing was perfect. I was a little concerned re: their final size recommendation, but I took it and it was perfect. They spent a LOT of time over the phone in getting me to measure my foot properly. This outfit is top notch.

I'm sure there are lots of top notch boots, but these are surely one of them.

My 2 cents worth.

I have Lowa boots on my "short list". I'd be more than happy to call the folks you dealt with.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jess -- thanks! In retrospect that wasn't too difficult, was it? smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about a pair of Kayland vertigo's?

Vertigo's

Last edited by 204guy; 09/07/15.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 204guy
How about a pair of Kayland vertigo's?

Vertigo's

Nice find!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good info, but no EEs aavailable.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I finally found a good deal on scarpa tech ascents. Did 14 miles with them Saturday they are light, super grippy, and gortex. Fit great right out of the box I have short wide feet and they don't crush them. Way more comfy then the scarpa kailash I wear daily.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
I finally found a good deal on scarpa tech ascents. Did 14 miles with them Saturday they are light, super grippy, and gortex. Fit great right out of the box I have short wide feet and they don't crush them. Way more comfy then the scarpa kailash I wear daily.

Do you have a problem with the Kailash? I looked at them on the web and like them. I will be wearing them daily; what's your thoughts?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Vasque? I gotta pair I can't seem to wear out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,633
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.