Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Posted this in "hunting rifles" also.

I just put a Ruger American .223 on layaway at the the shop where I work part time.
Someone had traded it in, unfired with the stickers still on the stock. (got a good buy!)

Am going to mount a Leupold fixed 12X A. O. on it, that came off another rifle that I recently sold.

Anyone else running one of these rifles in .223?

Thanks for any feedback!

Virgil B.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's a post I put up last February:

When Ruger announced the American Rifle I said I'd buy one if they brought it out in .223. Well, Ruger did and I bought the first one that arrived at my local shop.

Consistent with how I think this rifle is intended to be used I took it home, wiped down the packing oil and ran two patches through the bore, then mounted a scope. The trigger broke at a clean 4lbs and rather than pull the action from the stock to adjust it down further, I decided to run it as is.

All up with a Leupold FXIII 6x42 Competition scope in Burris steel Zee rings the rifle weighs just a hair over 7.5lbs:

[Linked Image]

Got out to the range today where I tried my standard .223 handload: 24.6gr of Ramshot TAC under a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. The handloads were assembled in bulk-primed brass (so no brass prep by me) using a Redding Competition seating die. COAL is 2.260" which brings the rounds just to the front of the magazine. First four shots showed some horizontal stringing at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

I figured the most likely cause of this was the rather bendy forearm contacting the barrel. So I moved my front sandbag back from its usual placement 2-3" behind the tip of the stock to just ahead of the front action screw. That solved the problem, as the next four-shots demonstrated:

[Linked Image]

I figured that's good enough for a sub-$400 rifle, so I'm done with load development.

My overall impression of the fit and finish is good--in fact, the machining on the bolt and raceways was so crisp it took quite a bit of cycling of the action on my part to get it smoothed up. The bolt lift is hard, but that's likely because the rifle itself is so light and, again, I expect that'll ease up a bit as I use the rifle more. The stock is well proportioned but, as with any injection molded stock, it is pliable so I wouldn't want to use it with a tight sling or with a bi-pod.

Feeding and ejection were positive, with fired cases landing back about 4' and to the right. The brass is hitting the side of the action, however, about 1/2" behind the bolt port. Not an issue in practical terms, but something to note nonetheless. The magazine is a bit tricky to load with the first round, though subsequent rounds are easy and I suspect that the loading will get easier as the rifle breaks in, or as I learn to operate it more effectively.

So, all that said I'm happy with the Ruger American in 223. It's light, inexpensive and accurate. Once I go through the 1000 or so 55gr handloads I've got made up (leftover from an earlier 223 project) I may try some heavier bullets in the rifle. Though by that time my rifle-loonyism may have me on to other projects entirely.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/27/15.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks like a good buy!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feed-back!

I think I'll be happy with my purchase.

Should make a good, light all-around critter getter.

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I very seldom post anything but the Ruger American .223 (compact) that I have with a 55 gr. Sierra and 25 grains of varget is probably the most accurate .223 I've ever owned and I've owned more than I can recall. I bought my Ruger American for $376. I thought for that kind of money I would take a chance, glad I did! The bobcat in my avatar was called in by me one night last December and my son took it with the American. We have shot over a 100 ground hogs with it and I myself have shot 2 at a little past 400 yards. My rifle is boring accurate! I don't think you will regret your purchase!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Checked out Ruger's website.

The specks on my American Compact .223 list it right at 6 lbs. and with a 1-8" twist.

This is sounding better all the time!

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How does the compact fit you considering it has a 12.5" LOP?

Let us know how she shoots.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't got it out of "lay away" yet, So I haven't got to shoot it.

The LOP is similar to the last .223 I had. A Ruger 77 LSS compact with a 16.5" barrel.
I liked it well, except it was a little loud with the short barrel.
Was going to rebarrel it, but this was MUCH cheaper. The 18" barrel should be just right!

It's a little short, but darn handy for quick pointing.

I added it up; This will be number 8 rifle in .223 that I've owned over the years.

Am thinking I've got a "winner" this time around.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got the new Ruger American out of "hock" yesterday, and got it sighted in at 30 yards.

From my front porch, This is the distance to my bird feeders.

Best five shot group was right at 1/4" center to center. Of course this was only 30 yards, but, looks like the rifle might do OK at 100 yards. This was the first load I tested with left over ammo from another .223 with 55 grain Noslers.

Only problem was; the darn thing will NOT feed the last round from the magazine.
Got to try another mag.

I'm quite happy so far...gotta move on out to 100 and do more testing.

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ruger American has had some problems with the last round feeding. It's a known problem with the American if you Google it. My magazine did the same thing, the last round wants to stand almost straight up when trying to feed it. Call Ruger and they will send you another for free.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Diablero
Ruger American has had some problems with the last round feeding. It's a known problem with the American if you Google it. My magazine did the same thing, the last round wants to stand almost straight up when trying to feed it. Call Ruger and they will send you another for free.

They will send another, but you can still utilize yours. The feed lips are too tight. It had something to do with the polymer shrinking more than anticipated. It's an easy fix.

When this happens....

[Linked Image]

...it's too tight. Measure the opening. This is too tight....

[Linked Image]

This just just right (you can even go just a tad wider)...

[Linked Image]

Use a file, sandpaper or a Dremeal. It's easy work to shave a little from each rail. I have a couple that needed this treatment. They're still in service and going strong after the modification.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Diablero;

Thanks for the info!

Will call Ruger.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shortactionsmoker;

Thanks for the info!

You guys are GREAT! A wealth of information!

Virgil B.

P.S. Great pictures of what is needed for the fix!

Very helpful!

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 09/06/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shortactinsmoker;

I got out my calipers and needle files and went to work.

My mag measured the same as yours. Took it down to .340 like you did, and it feeds PERFECTLY now!!!!

Thanks so much for the great pictorial and help!!!!

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even though I don't own a RAR, That is some really helpful info SAS. And with pics!

Thanks for sharing the fix SAS!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Diablero

They will send another, but you can still utilize yours. The feed lips are too tight. It had something to do with the polymer shrinking more than anticipated. It's an easy fix.

When this happens....

[Linked Image]

...it's too tight. Measure the opening. This is too tight....

[Linked Image]

This just just right (you can even go just a tad wider)...

[Linked Image]

Use a file, sandpaper or a Dremeal. It's easy work to shave a little from each rail. I have a couple that needed this treatment. They're still in service and going strong after the modification.

extremely creative--it is this type of post that is especially good, as there is very useful information being offered. and the pics--taking the time to set up and shoot them--is a stellar effort to be sure...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,955 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,320
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.