Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
My wife and I drove up from GA and spent a couple of days day hiking in the park. We usually like to do the Alum Cave trail up to Mt Leconte, but the trail was closed for repair. We decided to try an alternate, but much longer trail to the same location. But about 3 miles into the hike met some other hikers who suggested another spot we had never been to so we changed our plans to Charlies Bunyon. It is right on the AT.

Another group of hikers. We were literally above the clouds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of the AT shelters. I didn't get a decent photo, but about 50 yards behind the shelter were a pretty complex set of cables mounted in trees to hang food from the bears.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlies bunion is one of favorite places in the park. Looks like you caught it with some low clouds or fog coming up through the gap - that is usually very cool. Not sure if you walked out past Charlies but from 'the rock' the trail moves off to the right and hooks around the knife ridge on the right and heads over to the ridge you can see in the background. It is also very cool.

We are headed to the park this weekend to escape the heat. Its amazing how much different the temps are between 1000 ft above sea level at my house to 5-6000 feet up along the AT. I've left the house in shorts and t-shirt and zipped my pant legs back on and put on a fleece upon arriving at the higher elevations in the Smokys.

On the bears, this year seems to be the worst I've ever heard of with respect to negative bear encounters. Several people have been bitten, one severely mauled, several others chased. I've seen a bunch of bears in the park and have never had a negative encounter - even with the dreaded momma and cubs. We went for a drive around Cades Cove on last Sunday evening and saw 3 bears in less than 1 hour. The park could use a short bear hunting season..............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See any of these?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Headed up to LeConte Shelter in a few weeks with my daughter. Hope it is still open and the blueberries are coming in up high.

[Linked Image]Untitled by jeff lansdale, on Flickr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Been a few years since I have been up there. Used to run from gap to tri corner to Bunyon regularly. Not that in shape now. Will say this. Watch drinking from the water sources on that set of trails without purification.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.