Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
When using a scope on a running shot keep both eyes open, when you see brown pull:)

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
BP-B2

R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have taken as many as 5 shots with a bolt action to bring one down when running broadside at 200 yds it's not always easy!

Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Some times you got to do what you gota do to get the job done:)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've killed a bunch running, but it's darn sure not my preference. When I was a kid you could pretty much hunt anywhere you pleased here at home and running deer with hounds was the thing to do. Also hunted with some guys in IA for a few years that did drives, so running shots were the norm.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
3 who were running after being shot and one who was cutting out after spotting me.
One I hit 3 times. Once standing broadside at 100 or so, he cut back hard and ran quatering. Second shot hit 2nd rib in and shoulder out. Third caught him in the neck and flipped him.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've shot at 2 running deer and got them both. I'd be happy to leave it at that. But,if the situation dictated and I was on the ball,I'd likely do it again.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In over 60 years of active deer hunting I have shot a few deer when they were running.

In fact we made a running deer shoot at our club and ran matches. The target 'deer' was on a pipe track and did not bound however it was good practice.

A favorite happened on the hill behind the camp in VT. I was hunting uphill in hardwoods and jumped a buck and doe which ran downhill off to my right. It was maybe 40 yards or so.

I remembered a trick to get deer to stop and I shouted "Maw" and they both stopped, turned and started back up hill. They don't go as fast uphill.

I got the buck with the first shot.

It was a happy but long downhill drag back to the camp. smile

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe 12, 5 to 6 with rifle and the others with 00 Buck.

Fück Joe byron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
12-14 (can't remember exactly), all with a scoped rifle.

David

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MILES58
I grew up hunting in a family that made deer drives and for years running deer were all I had a chance to shoot. For a deer to run out of the woods and stop they had to have a death wish. I couldn't begin to guess how many I killed running.

What he said - except different state. You really get to appreciate nice slick lever actions when just about all you see are moving targets. I grew up with a deer drive oriented club with a well broken in Savage 99 in 30/30. Hardly ever saw anything other than a Savage 99 or Winchester 94 during the 60's and 70's, even into the 80's.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I can only remember one deer I shot running on the first shot- he was chasing a doe and when I saw his rack was legal at full gallop, I just went to his shoulder and shot when he came to an opening. I double lunged him, he ran maybe 30 yards and dropped, the shot was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 yards. I've hit a bunch more deer after they were hit on the first shot running, but that's the only one I can think of that I shot running unwounded. In PA- deer don't stand still like on the TV shows for very long!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have taken two. One doe that was a easy shot I thought. Range was under a bit under a 100 yards. More of bounding that fast run. First shot just clipped top of both lungs but stayed under the spine. She started tipping so I figured she was done and got off the gun. Well she regained her footing and I had to get on her fast as she was hauling ass now. I but a slug through both hindquaters. Well three hours and a half mile later a third slug to the head finished the job.

Second one was a huge ten point I thought. Last day last three minutes. Two deer come out feeding on the edge of the field about 350 yards. Head down quatering away. Take my time let the 7mm08 bark. I missed. Deer come running at me full out other runs into the woods. I can see it is the big boy we had been seeing. Two more shots as fast as I can take them. He slides to a stop and cuts into some brush on the field edge.

I did not know if I hit him or not and I am shook up. All to once he comes out of the brush. Hauling ass across a open hillside along the field edge. Threw the gun up got on the tip of his shoulder did not even remember pulling the trigger. He dropped skidded on his nose and then rolled several times down the hill.

I knew he was dead. Got calmed down got the truck to drive over and pick him up. Well my ten point monster turned into a big six point. Old deer that I was familiar with, unique rack. Four on one side two on the other with a real bladed mainbeam barely had a browtine on the four point side.

Guessing when mr big hit the thick brush he ran away from and this one spooked out of the brush and ran across the hillside. Impressive shot 320 yards and he was full out run. Never gave a thought to look at the rack. Only seen two deer and the other was out of the picture after the first shot and was way smaller. Thinking this guy was in the thick waiting to come out and feed.

Kinda cool to get this particular deer. He was at least 5 1/2 and was the only deer I have ever shot that I got pictures of on trail cam. Three years prior he had the same exact rack.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot a mile deer running down hill at a 45 degree angle
after shooting the standing deer in the liver... terrible first shot and my fault. The mule deer eventually stopped rolling.....but in the right direction to the truck.

Two days later I filled two tags on running Antelope. Fired 4 times with two hits...had a buck and a doe on the ground.

Years on a skeet field and a .270 helped.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50 years of deer hunting taking an average of 2 deer per year and at least 50% were running since we used to do deer drives and hunt with hounds so the answer is at least 50 deer.
The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by REDMAN
I have taken as many as 5 shots with a bolt action to bring one down when running broadside at 200 yds it's not always easy!

How many shots have you taken just to cripple?

It's not always easy.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never shot a big game animal, of any kind, at any thing more than a slow, steady walk.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
How many shots have you taken just to cripple?

The only time i have ever crippled one was back when i was Bow hunting and have not used a bow since!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
50 years of deer hunting taking an average of 2 deer per year and at least 50% were running since we used to do deer drives and hunt with hounds so the answer is at least 50 deer.
The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air.

The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air. <correct!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before I put the scope on the 12 gauge, I took 3 running shots, and killed all 3 of them.

After putting the scope on, I took running shots on 3, all at the same time. They were running down the hill, almost towards me. I put all 3 down with 1 shot each. Surprised the hell out of me and the guy I was hunting with.

We were hunting a buddy's farm in Western NY, where they got crop damage tags, so I filled my 2 tags and 1 of the crop damage tags. It was awesome!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Several! Called many luck but was more than luck! I used to indian hunt on super cold, windy days, some big boys would let you get within 25 yards before jump and run! Shot a model 100 Winchester in 308 on those days 3x9 Redfield TV scope turned down to 4 or 5 back then... Eyes and reflex at 61 has stopped that show. Plus cowhorn to the azz stopped the 5 to 9 mile walks on the bitter days.. very best winpoor

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.