Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have taken 3 with a scoped rifle, 2 with a haw-ken rifle and 2 with a 44 mag pistol in 30 yrs of hunting. Some times your just lucky

Last edited by REDMAN; 08/31/15.

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been hunting for 27 years. Never taken a running shot on one that I hadn't already put at least one bullet in when not running. Shot two heart-shot bucks with second shots and broke them down. One through the neck, one through the hips. I could still see them running, so I was still shooting. Bolt actions both times.

I'm just not practiced up enough to warrant shooting an non-wounded running deer unless it was maybe buckshot in a shotgun.

Now with even more aplomb
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
65 plus years hunting in country where we needed hounds and jump dogs, I would say 80 % have been on moving or Running Deer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
this will be my 54th year hunting deer prob 60% running shots, No big deal been shooting running game since I was 5. This on whitetail, muleys a little different bit of an odd pattern to follow there just takes a little more time.

R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
i have to admit, one of them with a pistol was on a wounded deer i had shot 1 hour before with a rifle that i had been tracking

Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never shot one running. Don't think I could keep them in the scope.

However, a few of the Deer where walking or moving along. Only a few were doing what I would call a run.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Maybe 3 or 4 in over 50 years hunting.. Most years I have gotten at least one deer..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One. Considering it was a decent sized buck, and ran right under me, I felt obligated.

Normally, the way I hunt, it isn't necessary. Kinda like asking a guy in wide-open country in North Dakota how many he's shot from a tree-stand during rifle season....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I popped one in the back of the head on a running shot. I was aiming at the neck.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am certain I have never killed an animal while running

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Only one attempt at running, unwounded game. This one was a whole 65 yards away with his head stuck in a juniper.From his standing start he didn't make it three steps...not a tough shot...

[Linked Image]

On critters that someone else had wounded, Ive rolled over quite a few on the run. Firm believer in I'll take any shot at any wounded critter I can get with anything I have in my hands at the time. Otherwise...not a fan of running shots.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ya I don't like running hit a couple walking though. I still prefer to be stationary.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was walking a tree row and creek and kicked up three deer. I shot one doe on the run with a 30.06 Savage 110. She was s hit her below the shoulder but above the "elbow" joint. Complete pass through that made her cartwheel over, I immediately put a finisher in her neck.

I shot my second running deer last year another doe that happened to run behind me, with a 30.06. It was placed farther back than I liked but stopped the deer. I put a finisher in it as well.

I prefer stationary over anything else but will take the shot depending on the circumstance.

I know a few hunters that do deer drives and the majority of their shots are on running game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot a few runners, never felt it was that hard of a shot under 100 yards or so. Of course I tend to throw lead at coyotes running full out at 400+ yards ( rarely with any success, but dang it's fun) so deer at 50 don't seem too challenging.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I grew up hunting in a family that made deer drives and for years running deer were all I had a chance to shoot. For a deer to run out of the woods and stop they had to have a death wish. I couldn't begin to guess how many I killed running. They most assuredly are easier than shooting birds though because leading them is so much easier with a rifle faster than a 30-30. Shot a number with shotgun and slugs, but as long as it's close like bird range and the shotgun is one you shoot birds with that is pretty easy too. When you have a deer running flat out, they don't bounce and are much easier as well.

As for scopes, I always keep them cranked down to 1 or 1.5x. I shoot like with a shotgun, both eyes open, and don't really notice a difference. The last running deer I killed were with a 30-30 and they were already wounded. Shot them in the head, one about fifty feet, one about fifty yards. That was the only two deer moving much in the last fifteen years or so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do it exactly how it's seen on TV - I wait for a standing, broadside shot, then range the animals even when they're under 200 yards, and finally, I wait until the next morning to recover them. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You guys kill them?

I usually just get drunk until it's time to tear down, and go back home.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane
I do it exactly how it's seen on TV - I wait for a standing, broadside shot, then range the animals even when they're under 200 yards, and finally, I wait until the next morning to recover them. whistle

I tried that many times, but we don't have enough coyotes here to eat them up completely by morning, and its usually cool enough that the meat wont spoil.
The TV guys don't seem to care if it spoils or not-even on elk- and Ive seen many just tag the antlers, and haul them out because the coyotes got the deer.
Couldn't frankly believe they had the ethics to use their tag...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up hunting in ND when walking draws etc. was the preferred method so deer were usually on the move by the time they were seen. I can think of at least half a dozen that were on the run when I killed them. I'm sure it didn't do any wonders for the meat and I'm glad I learned how to use glassing to locate deer rather than boot leather. I haven't taken a running shot at a deer in years aside from one that jumped up and took off after being down for 30 seconds or so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

grin

Sometimes it is hard to focus on making that perfect back-edge-of-the-lung shot when that heavy metal soundtrack is playing. Don't know how those guys do it.

Now with even more aplomb
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
When using a scope on a running shot keep both eyes open, when you see brown pull:)

R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have taken as many as 5 shots with a bolt action to bring one down when running broadside at 200 yds it's not always easy!

R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Some times you got to do what you gota do to get the job done:)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've killed a bunch running, but it's darn sure not my preference. When I was a kid you could pretty much hunt anywhere you pleased here at home and running deer with hounds was the thing to do. Also hunted with some guys in IA for a few years that did drives, so running shots were the norm.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
3 who were running after being shot and one who was cutting out after spotting me.
One I hit 3 times. Once standing broadside at 100 or so, he cut back hard and ran quatering. Second shot hit 2nd rib in and shoulder out. Third caught him in the neck and flipped him.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've shot at 2 running deer and got them both. I'd be happy to leave it at that. But,if the situation dictated and I was on the ball,I'd likely do it again.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In over 60 years of active deer hunting I have shot a few deer when they were running.

In fact we made a running deer shoot at our club and ran matches. The target 'deer' was on a pipe track and did not bound however it was good practice.

A favorite happened on the hill behind the camp in VT. I was hunting uphill in hardwoods and jumped a buck and doe which ran downhill off to my right. It was maybe 40 yards or so.

I remembered a trick to get deer to stop and I shouted "Maw" and they both stopped, turned and started back up hill. They don't go as fast uphill.

I got the buck with the first shot.

It was a happy but long downhill drag back to the camp. smile

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Maybe 12, 5 to 6 with rifle and the others with 00 Buck.

Fück Joe byron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
12-14 (can't remember exactly), all with a scoped rifle.

David

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MILES58
I grew up hunting in a family that made deer drives and for years running deer were all I had a chance to shoot. For a deer to run out of the woods and stop they had to have a death wish. I couldn't begin to guess how many I killed running.

What he said - except different state. You really get to appreciate nice slick lever actions when just about all you see are moving targets. I grew up with a deer drive oriented club with a well broken in Savage 99 in 30/30. Hardly ever saw anything other than a Savage 99 or Winchester 94 during the 60's and 70's, even into the 80's.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I can only remember one deer I shot running on the first shot- he was chasing a doe and when I saw his rack was legal at full gallop, I just went to his shoulder and shot when he came to an opening. I double lunged him, he ran maybe 30 yards and dropped, the shot was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 yards. I've hit a bunch more deer after they were hit on the first shot running, but that's the only one I can think of that I shot running unwounded. In PA- deer don't stand still like on the TV shows for very long!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have taken two. One doe that was a easy shot I thought. Range was under a bit under a 100 yards. More of bounding that fast run. First shot just clipped top of both lungs but stayed under the spine. She started tipping so I figured she was done and got off the gun. Well she regained her footing and I had to get on her fast as she was hauling ass now. I but a slug through both hindquaters. Well three hours and a half mile later a third slug to the head finished the job.

Second one was a huge ten point I thought. Last day last three minutes. Two deer come out feeding on the edge of the field about 350 yards. Head down quatering away. Take my time let the 7mm08 bark. I missed. Deer come running at me full out other runs into the woods. I can see it is the big boy we had been seeing. Two more shots as fast as I can take them. He slides to a stop and cuts into some brush on the field edge.

I did not know if I hit him or not and I am shook up. All to once he comes out of the brush. Hauling ass across a open hillside along the field edge. Threw the gun up got on the tip of his shoulder did not even remember pulling the trigger. He dropped skidded on his nose and then rolled several times down the hill.

I knew he was dead. Got calmed down got the truck to drive over and pick him up. Well my ten point monster turned into a big six point. Old deer that I was familiar with, unique rack. Four on one side two on the other with a real bladed mainbeam barely had a browtine on the four point side.

Guessing when mr big hit the thick brush he ran away from and this one spooked out of the brush and ran across the hillside. Impressive shot 320 yards and he was full out run. Never gave a thought to look at the rack. Only seen two deer and the other was out of the picture after the first shot and was way smaller. Thinking this guy was in the thick waiting to come out and feed.

Kinda cool to get this particular deer. He was at least 5 1/2 and was the only deer I have ever shot that I got pictures of on trail cam. Three years prior he had the same exact rack.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot a mile deer running down hill at a 45 degree angle
after shooting the standing deer in the liver... terrible first shot and my fault. The mule deer eventually stopped rolling.....but in the right direction to the truck.

Two days later I filled two tags on running Antelope. Fired 4 times with two hits...had a buck and a doe on the ground.

Years on a skeet field and a .270 helped.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50 years of deer hunting taking an average of 2 deer per year and at least 50% were running since we used to do deer drives and hunt with hounds so the answer is at least 50 deer.
The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by REDMAN
I have taken as many as 5 shots with a bolt action to bring one down when running broadside at 200 yds it's not always easy!

How many shots have you taken just to cripple?

It's not always easy.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never shot a big game animal, of any kind, at any thing more than a slow, steady walk.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
How many shots have you taken just to cripple?

The only time i have ever crippled one was back when i was Bow hunting and have not used a bow since!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
50 years of deer hunting taking an average of 2 deer per year and at least 50% were running since we used to do deer drives and hunt with hounds so the answer is at least 50 deer.
The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air.

The secret is to lead them and shoot them while they are in the air. <correct!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before I put the scope on the 12 gauge, I took 3 running shots, and killed all 3 of them.

After putting the scope on, I took running shots on 3, all at the same time. They were running down the hill, almost towards me. I put all 3 down with 1 shot each. Surprised the hell out of me and the guy I was hunting with.

We were hunting a buddy's farm in Western NY, where they got crop damage tags, so I filled my 2 tags and 1 of the crop damage tags. It was awesome!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Several! Called many luck but was more than luck! I used to indian hunt on super cold, windy days, some big boys would let you get within 25 yards before jump and run! Shot a model 100 Winchester in 308 on those days 3x9 Redfield TV scope turned down to 4 or 5 back then... Eyes and reflex at 61 has stopped that show. Plus cowhorn to the azz stopped the 5 to 9 mile walks on the bitter days.. very best winpoor

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have lost count. Some were moving slowly, some were at a fast walk, a few were at a dead run, and the only one I missed completely was bounding. The fact that I had a factured wrist may have had something to do with the fact that I missed him.
I shot one last year that I'm sure I hit, but never found. Since he wasn't pushed and kept walking for 2-3 miles, I suspect he wasn't hit that badly. I'll know when I draw another tag for the area. He leaves tracks that I can recognize.
I'd far rather have a standing shot at a buck 400 plus yards out than one running at 100-200 yds. Unfortunately, the bucks I hunt don't stand around in the open and let people shoot at them.
In my prefered deer hunting area, I have to track them. Which means they are sitting in their beds, chewing their cuds and watching their back trail. While I have caught a couple in their beds unaware of me, most them are up and running before I know they are there.
So you either take a running shot, or get no shooting at all. E

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
6 that I can remember in 41 years of deer hunting.

Perry

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have taken 3 with a scoped rifle, 2 with a haw-ken rifle and 2 with a 44 mag pistol in 30 yrs of hunting. Some times your just lucky

Luck and shooting at animals don't mix in my world.

I"ve shot a the same running deer 4 times, hit her all 4 times. This in I cna't recall how many deer.

She was wounded is the ONLY reason I considered it, and she was close, as the shots were all with a 3 inch 45 acp in heavy brush as we trailed her.

If you practice moving though and get good I've no issues.

My issues are folks shooting at big bucks especially and on the move, and if you asked... would you attempt the same shot on a doe, the answer is heck no... that bothers me..

Nothign I can do about it though. As long as you are legal, thats all one can push really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Only one or two in the thickets with 12ga buckshot, don't like it, and wont shoot at running deer with a rifle.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have shot a couple that was trotting not really in a full run. One hit the ground and slid to a stop was DRT using a 7mm WSM was only about 15yds from me.

The other was using a 300 WSM a big doe was trotting away from me on the edge of a field and she was about to go down a heavily used trail to the right when she started to turn I shot, she went about 25yds and did a nose dive. Bullet entered about six inches behind her right shoulder and exited at the point of her left shoulder.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
I am certain I have never killed an animal while running

Me also... I've always been standing still... works a lot better...

I've taken several while they were running directly away from me...neck shots, just aimed over the tail at the seesawing head..
don't recommend it, if you plan on mounting the head...

after a summer of shooting sage rats, which run like a bat outta hell, stop, turn direction... skid to a halt, stand up and look around...BANG....4 or 5000 of those over the summer....taking down a running deer is actually pretty much childs play...

at 300 yds, a standing deer looks like a dump truck thru a 4 power scope...

varmint shooting a lot helps make shooting a running deer a lot easier in life...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One on a dead run. Missed with the first shot, got him the second time. He plowed snow for a good 8 feet. Never even twitched. Another one running, but it was wounded, so not making much speed. Several moving slow or trotting.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In almost 50 years of deer hunting I have shot 1 that was running. It was a close, straight away shot and I got lucky with what could be called a bull's eye. The deer was landing on its front legs and the angle of the shot caused the bullet to immediately enter the spine. It dropped the deer in its tracks, the deer wasn't gut shot and there was no external or internal evidence of a gun shot wound. It was the weirdest experience I've had while field dressing a deer.

That one shot, which was my second deer, convinced me that too much can happen, between the time I decide to pull the trigger and the bullet gets to the deer, for me to be taking a chance shooting at a running deer. I had to admit to myself that the "bulls eye" wasn't what I was aiming at. A couple of inches in nearly any direction could have resulted in a wounded and lost deer. I just don't want to kill a deer bad enough to risk that happening by doing something on purpose that has a high potential of failure.

Harry
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've killed a few running with a ML and rifle. There is something about swinging through a deer running by stretched out and having it tumble at the shot that is more fun than shooting one standing still. We used to hunt with hounds and still do a few deer drives.

R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Luck and shooting at animals don't mix in my world.

I"ve shot a the same running deer 4 times, hit her all 4 times. This in I cna't recall how many deer.

She was wounded is the ONLY reason I considered it, and she was close, as the shots were all with a 3 inch 45 acp in heavy brush as we trailed her.

If you practice moving though and get good I've no issues.

My issues are folks shooting at big bucks especially and on the move, and if you asked... would you attempt the same shot on a doe, the answer is heck no... that bothers me..

Nothign I can do about it though. As long as you are legal, thats all one can push really.
I called it luck because i did not want to sound like i was bragging but luck is when preparation and opportunity meet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure how many I have shot running but never had a problem with it. I have shot a lot of skeet and I would say that helps.

Nothing running over 150 yards but plenty between there and about 30 yards.

I prefer a broadside standing shot but wouldn't turn down a running shot as long as I feel comfortable about it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
To answer the original question, lots. Samples:

All-out run @ ~150yds:

[Linked Image]

Rutting/trotting behind doe @ 300yds:

[Linked Image]

Full-run, 125yds:

[Linked Image]

Flushed from cattails, full run, 200yds:

[Linked Image]

Full-run pard had missed him twice, 275yds:

[Linked Image]

Full-run going almost dead away @ 100yds. Looks gut-shot, it was't. In behind the "knee" out just inside of it, back into the chest just behind the last rib and I found the slug under the hide on the off-side shoulder.

[Linked Image]

There are a bunch of does, at least one more bull elk, and a truckload of coyotes as well.

Last edited by horse1; 09/14/15.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I often hunt with 6 other guys and we drive hollows and thickets for deer. Running and walking shots are typical. The common rifle for this group is the Remington slide action but I've had very good luck with my Marlin 35.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't really know how many but quite a few.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A couple but won't do it anymore. Here in this part of Maryland, we can't use a rifle, we have to use a shotgun with a slug. A 12ga slug will do an incredible amount of damage.

Back in day, when I was young and dumb, I used to use my Rem 1100 and would load up the magazine with 4 rounds and 1 in the chamber. My problem with that gun is when I'd start pulling the trigger, I always kept pulling it. One morning, I had a nice 8 point walking towards me but couldn't get a shot, there was too much stuff in between me and him. I had one last chance at him before he disappeared into the thicket. So I shot him. He ran under and past me full tilt. As he did, I started pulling the trigger...duka, duka, duka, duka. Hit him 4 more times.

Needless to say, there wasn't much left meat wise. Basically turned him into swizz cheese. That was the last time I did that. Not a good move.

After that, I bought an Encore. That way I have to think before I pull it a second time.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A better question would be how many have you missed or crippled. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
For me none!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by milespatton

Fair question.

Missed clean on first shot 3 times. Two of those bucks offered follow up shots and were killed on second shots.Another i swung squarely into an out cropping half way to him.

One buck hit slightly behind diaphragm. Did not get a second shot. He was finished in his bed.

I was asked to assist on a running buck fired on by a companion,and thought to be hit. I hit him high on the back. He was recovered an hour later.

All the rest were quickly killed,first shot.Only two I recall got out of sight,maybe 40-50 yards(?)

Crippled/unrecovered? None.

These are bucks that were running, not walking/moving slowly. They are about as difficult as one that's standing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
REDMAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
You know what they say it's better to be pissed off than pissed on!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.