RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Give it all up Rev!

I'll walk you through the steps of building a stainless McFlame..... whistle

Ingwe, what I think I'm going to wind up doing is talking my BIL out of his Cabela 7x57 Super Grade, then finding someone who can do to it what you did with yours; only I'd like to have steel bottom metal, add a quarter-rib, and extend the stock about a half inch. It's rare that I shoot in anything other than shirtsleeves - and short ones, at that. I don't expect "Flave and the Gang" would have any issue with dinking up one of those. cool

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats actually a good idea Rev. Only issue there is the forend...its too long and has a Super grade Swivel installed......so it would have to be rasped a bit, set back, re-install ebony cap and maybe rechecked...

Also, I don't know whats on the butt of those, but if its not English Red, it will have to go too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by mathman
Was your rebore a stainless barrel?

Yes, but he said it was a Ruger thing, the most troublesome being the stainless….sometimes. And you find the name Ruger nowhere on the JES website, so……. ? (I'm betting it ain't just one reborer who isn't crazy about the structure of the metal in the hammer-forged Ruger barrels.)

That's sort of what I was getting at. Somewhere I got the idea Ruger has used something different than the usual firearms grade 416 stainless.

I don't think it's the hammer forged part. I believe Cliff LaBounty said Remington barrels cut pretty well, and they're hammer forged.

The Ruger express barrel is 4140 which shouldn't be a problem material.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats actually a good idea Rev. Only issue there is the forend...its too long and has a Super grade Swivel installed......so it would have to be rasped a bit, set back, re-install ebony cap and maybe rechecked...

Also, I don't know whats on the butt of those, but if its not English Red, it will have to go too....

The forend tip on the Dakota 76 is 9.5 from the action face. Any idea of the distance on yours? Also, how far is the barrel swivel from the muzzle on yours?

Shoot, you just need to leave me yours in your will and you'll save me a lot of headache!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mikey old boy, I think we've covered some of this ground before. Like Travis said, there's lots of ways to get there without trashing a valuable 77 Express.

Consider:

A new Hawkeye in .338 or .375 Ruger
A CZ Express model
One of the many FN Deluxe Sporters that can be had for $600 to $1000 on GB and then re-bored.

Is this for a trip overseas, or are you going to start lining up pigs for 2-at-a-time shots? For that, the 77 Express stuffed with 160gr NPs should be fine.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mikey old boy, I think we've covered some of this ground before. Like Travis said, there's lots of ways to get there without trashing a valuable 77 Express.

Consider:

A new Hawkeye in .338 or .375 Ruger
A CZ Express model
One of the many FN Deluxe Sporters that can be had for $600 to $1000 on GB and then re-bored.

Is this for a trip overseas, or are you going to start lining up pigs for 2-at-a-time shots? For that, the 77 Express stuffed with 160gr NPs should be fine.

Yeah, actually now that I think about it, it's not only the same song but the same verse as well. I need to just stick with original plan of a putting together a duded-up 7x57.

Speaking of 160gr NPs, I just bought four boxes of .284, 160gr Deep Curls. That gives me 5 boxes each: 160gr and 175gr. At the ranges I shoot I expect they'll slay doubles all day long!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, Friend, it was never my intention to be the voice of reason!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's alright. What I really ought to do is spring for either a Blaser or Helix...but I'm not sure I could show my face amongst the "traditional" crowd.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy both.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy both.

No, absolutely not! Don't you have someone else's money - other than mine - to spend??? laugh

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,spending mine on a project of my own.

Besides,it's fun picking on you. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Brother, I am easy pickings!

What are you building?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A big-bore.

Reamer,go-gauge,brass,bullets,rifle to re-chamber etc.... A looney's looniness is always in all bloom.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Brother, I am easy pickings!

You are indeed. That's why we keep you around. whistle

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
At least I haven't been relegated to "Ignore" status yet! shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reserve that honor for very "special" folks. I recently added one to the list, but pardoned another to compensate.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
That's alright. What I really ought to do is spring for either a Blaser or Helix...but I'm not sure I could show my face amongst the "traditional" crowd.

OK....

I think maybe its time for an Intervention....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
If I ever do that I'll hide it under the bed. But man are they fast, especially the Helix. Have you ever watched Prince What's-His-Name hunting driven boar? I won't pretend to ever be able to do that, but man is he fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's like the German Pigman!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.