Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I own a model 94 Trapper, 44 Mag, and am trying to figure out what the stamps mean on the underside of the rear tang. Winchester says that it was manufactured in 2000. Four separate stamps are "C", "St", "Z", and "48".

I'm hoping that one of you guys can shed some light. Thank you!

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Anyone know a possible source? I can't find anything on the net, pertaining to these stamps. Thanks!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might try here.
http://winchestercollector.org/

It's the home page of the Winchester Arms Collectors Assn. You should be able to post a question someplace on there.
Good luck
John
yooper (Charter & Life member of WACA)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The iconic Winchester Proof stamp is the overlapping 'W' and 'P' that in most instances are found fairly close together in alignnment on the top or left side of the barrel and receiver. Not exactly sure what the signifiance of the stamps that you are referring to is, but most likely they are foundry, inspection or assembly stamps....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Poconojack
The iconic Winchester Proof stamp is the overlapping 'W' and 'P' that in most instances are found fairly close together in alignnment on the top or left side of the barrel and receiver. Not exactly sure what the signifiance of the stamps that you are referring to is, but most likely they are foundry, inspection or assembly stamps....

That's kinda what I'm looking for. I'm trying to verify the metal that it's made of. I bought this carbine as stainless, but I have no documentation. Most will say that it is plated, but I took it to a plating shop, and they found no evidence of electroplating. Winchester has verified, that they did in fact make the gun, but don't have records of its material. Am now following a paper trail, and hopefully will be able to prove it. If not, I will take it to be tested by a metallurgist.

I was skeptical at first, as one of the places I took it to, said that it was plated, but couldn't show any evidence of it. I then found a satin nickel model 94 and compared both. They were very different in color. The nickel had a yellow hue that was very noticeable. Then, the brushed chrome models made for the 1999 shot show showed differences as well in color and polish. I'm really not sure what I have, but it is really cool. Time and more digging and testing will tell. I won't be disappointed either way.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
To add to the last post, mine was made in 2000, according to Winchesters records.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by yooper35
You might try here.
http://winchestercollector.org/

It's the home page of the Winchester Arms Collectors Assn. You should be able to post a question someplace on there.
Good luck
John
yooper (Charter & Life member of WACA)

Yes, I have contacted this group as well.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Can't recall ever seeing a stainless M94....

Someone on The Winchester Collectors site will most likely be able to answer your questions....

Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Can't recall ever seeing a stainless M94....

Someone on The Winchester Collectors site will most likely be able to answer your questions....

I've never seen one either, but I'm pretty sure that I have one. I'm really hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Anything definitive yet?

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Anything definitive yet?

Well, yesterday, I spent the day going to see different gunsmiths. All of them said that it was, in fact, stainless. Four out of four is pretty convincing. I also took it to a couple of gun shops with knowledgeable staff, and they were convinced it was not plated, as well. One of the owners made me an serious offer for it, but I declined.

I stopped by another plating shop and hard chrome, brushed chrome, and any form of nickel were ruled out by three different guys there.

I am pretty convinced that this trapper is stainless steel. I guess that since Winchester says they never made one, I need to look into a non destructive acid test. More on this to come!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You got a deal! grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/28/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
You got a deal! grin

Yep! From a really nice guy! 😄

All of this detective work is kind of fun. Diving deep into the "one off" Trappers!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Update. I got the invoice from the company that bought my rifle from Winchester. Dated 6/5/00, it bears the serial number of my rifle. The description line reads: 94 44Mag 16" STS Trapper.

Unless someone can tell me differently, I am going to assume that "STS" stands for stainless. I would love to hear if you agree, or not. What else could it stand for?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.