https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go used and you should be able to find a Browning that will come close and you are almost guaranteed of getting something good.

Splurge a little:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...plus-with-hard-case.cfm?gun_id=100569578

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Still some SKB's around for a good price.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think for under $1k there are several options. None are going to be very refined though.
My own experience is with a Baikal IZH-27 Sporting model. Best bang for the buck as far as functionality and endurance, and better looking and finished than when Remington labeled them Spartans (same gun, different label).
I believe I paid about $550 for it back in Peru over 10yr ago. Has been shot thousands of times at doves, ducks, clays, partridge, etc.
It is a little heavy and I did refinish the stock on it, but it is a workhorse that you can take to war atop a tank if need a club to fend of enemies. I have tumbled down, taken spills crossing creeks and it just keeps going. I use it every year when I go back and it just fits me right.
The BRNO ZH series are also very good and old school tough, not sure about availability here, and have a solid action lockup mechanism that is unusual, but functional. I had one, and sold it. Should have kept it as an upland gun as it was lighter than the Baikal.

The newer CZs are nice, but I think they are pushing the 1k mark.
I have seen Stoegers literally falling apart at the range, although a friend really likes his. No comments or experience about Yildiz.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For my money, I'd be looking a pre-owned Berettas or Brownings in that price range. There are many thousands of them floating around, in many models, and some of them have been hardly used at all.

The usual cautions apply but if you didn't like the gun, you will be able to sell it later. I have had good luck with a couple SKB's too.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like battue said, used Citori is the way I would go.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For under $1,000 I would be patient and look for a clean Winchester 101 made in Japan ( Kondensa Ltd.) That's if your looking for a field gun??

Most 28 inch guns will be choked modified and full, you can have the shotgun re-choked Skeet I and Skeet II or improved cylinder and light modified ( same as Skeet II) and go hunt.
Re-choking is about $50.00 per barrel.

Doc

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Browning Citori or nearly any of the SKBs - as other posters have said..

Why, you may ask? Simply this: they have high-quality innards, parts are readily available and they can go years and years w/o problems..

Oh, and one other - Ithaca Century Trap.. Made by SKB but imported by Ithaca. Built like a freakin' tank; absolutely solid, and can be found at times for under $850 or so.. There were two models, Century I and Century II. Only difference was the II has a Monte Carlo stock design, while the I had a straight comb..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miroku makes the Browning shotgun and also made some for Charles Daly and some under their own name. i had one of the Miroku branded guns for a while and the parts interchange with the brownings, you can get the same non browning name gun for almost half the coin. also any of the Verona 5## or 6## series over unders are a great deal too in addition to the ones mentioned in earlier post.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cz canvasback paid $509 new a few months ago

[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Go used and you should be able to find a Browning that will come close and you are almost guaranteed of getting something good.

Splurge a little:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...plus-with-hard-case.cfm?gun_id=100569578

^^^This right here^^^

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The SKB 600's are a great shoot gun, a 20 gauge with 3' tubes will kill anything that flys.

A little nicer, go with the 101's, beautiful guns that point and shoot with the best of them.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My comments were made about NEW guns under $1k.
For the money, if I had $1k and wanted and O/U I would go used definitely (as I did).
Best ones in that range would be Citoris, 686s, SKBs. Even if the wood is a little beat up it can be refinished, or a new stock purchased. Advantage of buying used is you can sell it for about the same and not lose money. As long as internals work, you are good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SKB !!!! Bought a used 500 a few years back based on the advice
I received here. BEST shotgun I have ever owned.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd recommend a used Ithaca/SKB as well. I own 2 SKB's, a 500 and 600, in 12 ga. These were imported by Ithaca. Weatherby also imported them from Japan, after Ithaca. The Weatherby's are the Orion line I believe. An SKB is always with me for small game, ducks, doves, and crow.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Citori or a Silver Pigeon. Just look untill you find on eof these B guns in your range. They will hold their value better than the others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might wanna look at the recent FN-made Winchesters....... the Selects and 101's.

Lotta gun for around 1k

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
CZ's new, used SKB's- not a huge fan of the Citori for looks and weight but they shoot awfully nice. I have been able to locate two Berettas for under $1000 as well. Brother has one, and I the other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SKB (Ithaca, Weatherby versions) and Winchester 101's were featured on Field & Stream's Gunfight Friday recently.

A match made in heaven I thought.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Weatherby just brought them back this year. The Orion is an awesome gun and lighter than most others especially the Citori. I have been using one since 2006 and love it!!! Brother-in-law liked mine so much he bought one too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After Weatherby switched from SKB to an Italian maker for their shotguns I thought SKB went out of business? When you say Weatherby brought them back is it a new SKB production or by some other maker?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
For under $1,000 I would be patient and look for a clean Winchester 101 made in Japan ( Kondensa Ltd.) That's if your looking for a field gun??

Most 28 inch guns will be choked modified and full, you can have the shotgun re-choked Skeet I and Skeet II or improved cylinder and light modified ( same as Skeet II) and go hunt.
Re-choking is about $50.00 per barrel.

Doc

The original Win 101 is the best O&U you can buy

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone looking to spend less than 1k heres the deal........

http://americantrapshooter.com/index.php?threads/browning-citori-lightning-12ga-for-sale.1600/

I got nothin to do with nothin. Just a deal I thought I would let you guys in on.

Last edited by passport; 10/04/15.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Passport, that is a good deal on a nice Browning. I would be interested if I hadn't just managed a good deal on a nice Browning Gti for well under 1K:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=507417216

There are good deals to be found on nice used O/U's if a person is patient.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 10/04/15.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SCORE! Well done! You will like that GTI I shot one for a few years

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing I'll say with the Turkish made guns is they do a good job on their stocks. Presentation grade feathered walnut no, but the stock pictured above looks nice and is much nicer looking than I see on some rifles and shotguns costing 2x as much.

Last edited by bangeye; 10/10/15.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depending on what your use is, used Citori or beretta 686. Citori if you mostly shoot targets or duck and dove from a blind or hide. Bank vault strong but a little heavy for upland bird hunting on your feet. The Berettas are a bit lighter.

Bothe these guns will have selective triggers and ejectors. Some of the less expensive European imports will lack one or both of these features.

Out of the price range, unless you find a steal, but I shoot a 52 year old Browning Superposed Pigeon Grade 20 ga that I picked up in a pawn shop thirty years ago. It has had only one small pin in the selective trigger mechanism replaced as it's only repair. The twenties in this series are light.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.