Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe

But in truth, anything that pokes a whole in the vitals will kill.

That's certainly true but a << properly constructed bullet for the job >> going FASTER has a more immediate effect.

If slow bullets didn't kill - then the 30/30, 30 Rem, 35 Rem. et.al. wouldn't have killed all that they have.

SLOWER bullets---

1. take longer to get to the game, allowing the game to move some, or allowing another animal to interrupt/deflect the bullet.

2. take longer to get there IF they get there. (edit to correct)

3. do NOT travel as FLAT.

4. do NOT hit as hard.

Hi-Vel accomplishes a few things that SLOW bullets can not.

These things ARE why I strive for the best velocity WITH the best accuracy I can GET.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/01/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwall

But in truth, anything that pokes a whole in the vitals will kill.

That's certainly true but a << properly constructed bullet for the job >> going FASTER has a more immediate effect.

If slow bullets didn't kill - then the 30/30, 30 Rem, 35 Rem. et.al. wouldn't have killed all that they have.

SLOWER bullets---

1. take longer to get to the game, allowing the game to move some, or allowing another animal to interrupt/deflect the bullet.

2. take longer to get there IF they get there. (edit to correct)

3. do NOT travel as FLAT.

4. do NOT hit as hard.

Hi-Vel accomplishes a few things that SLOW bullets can not.

These things ARE why I strive for the best velocity WITH the best accuracy I can GET.

Jerry

Roy Weatherby would have agreed with all that.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Roy Weatherby would have agreed with all that.

And he was RIGHT ! <grin>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
jwall,

My post was two sentences long. Somehow, you only managed to read the second half.

I still don't see how this topic is worth this much discussion. I thought everyone knew over 100 years ago that faster bullets produce a more dramatic effect.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
On a lighter note on this topic, I'm convinced that when it comes to varmint hunting accuracy may be king but velocity is the court jester.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jwall,
My post was two sentences long. Somehow, you only managed to read the second half.

You are.. W R O N G.., this time. I only quoted the 2nd part.

I guess you could say this discussion is about....

'faster bullets'. There are some virtues ?, attributes ?, whatever that MORE speed achieves or has.

Tom T Hall, "older whiskey, faster women, more money !" You get the idea ? More of a good thing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RJY66
Bob summed it up very well.

Bullet construction plays a big role. The whole speed thing only works if the bullets expand. Shoot a deer with a 30-06 loaded with a 150 grain SST going 2900 FPS and shoot another with a 150 grain M2 ball going 2900 FPS and compare the results. Obviously the SST is going to do a lot more damage and kill faster even though both rounds are going the same speed.

Animal size and construction. With deer, the size of their chest cavity is roughly that of a volley ball. The typical center fire with expanding bullets can destroy the deer's chest cavity with one shot.....kind of like what happens when you shoot a watermelon. Is there a shoulder fired rifle and ammo combo that can accomplish the same thing with a buffalo?

Then there is of course shot placement. If you destroy or disrupt the nervous system or not.

Bob has a way of doing that... cool

Speed does extend effective range, no doubt.

Terminal performance is another matter.

Balance is where the rubber meets the road.

Bullet type and weight matched with range and speed produces results.

Nope, one size does not fit all, never has, never will... smile

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
jwall,

You are.. W R O N G.., this time. I only quoted the 2nd part.

I guess you could say this discussion is about....

'faster bullets'. There are some virtues ?, attributes ?, whatever that MORE speed achieves or has.

Tom T Hall, "older whiskey, faster women, more money !" You get the idea ? More of a good thing.

Jerry

Whatever dude. You think that other animals can walk between a bullet and a target when fired from slow cartridges. Obviously there's no point in arguing with you.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Whatever dude. You think that other animals can walk between a bullet and a target when fired from slow cartridges. Obviously there's no point in arguing with you.

Arguing ? who was arguing? I was trying to answer your question.

I'll ask (axe) another.

Have you ever seen a deer sag-twist his head/neck and then lick its side or scratch itself? That can happen at just the wrong time and you have a MIS placed shot.

I have and believe me another deer that you haven't seen, can take a step into a bullet's flight at just the wrong time. My main point is faster bullets USE LESS time from muzzle to game. STUFF happens.

Again, I wasn't arguing and AM still discussing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jerry

laugh laugh laugh

I'm laughing AT MYSELF before someone else does.

I MIS quoted Mr. Hall.

I believe he sung,

"Faster horses, Older whiskey, More Money" whistle whistle

That was one of those 'fraudulent' slips. grin grin

'faster women' has been MY version a long time. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Arguing ? who was arguing? I was trying to answer your question.

I'll ask (axe) another.

Have you ever seen a deer sag-twist his head/neck and then lick its side or scratch itself? That can happen at just the wrong time and you have a MIS placed shot.

I have and believe me another deer that you haven't seen, can take a step into a bullet's flight at just the wrong time. My main point is faster bullets USE LESS time from muzzle to game. STUFF happens.

Again, I wasn't arguing and AM still discussing.

Jerry

About 12 years ago I was hunting Alabama. There were two bucks in the edge of a wood line about 200 yards out. I settled in on the older, much nicer buck and right as pulled the trigger, the younger buck gigged the older buck in the ham with an antler. The older buck jumped up and out of the wood line and just stood there.

I thought I had missed, and hurriedly racked another round and hit him in the shoulder - dropped him where he stood. Later I realized my first round had hit lower and further back than I thought, catching the bottom of the lungs just behind the heart. That was the the difference in POI from a high shoulder shot as the buck moved as the trigger was pulled. Rifle was a 7mm-08, 140 Ballistic Tip at ~2750fps.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have to agree, there is enough anecdotal evidence about "speed kills" to believe it's of some value.

The hydraulic effect, in simple systems with incompressible fluids, is undeniable - it's what allows a man to lift a truck using a simple jack. And some have suggested a bullet impact can cause a bunch of blood vessels to burst in the critter's brain. But all the critter's body structures are not perfect fluids, so it's hard to generalize.

I knew one guy who swore that the .22-250 was the ultimate deer round. But get enough beers in him, he'd admit to losing a few. And he eventually went back to the .25-06

Me? I've never seen a .270 Winchester give anything but bang flops smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Higher impact velocities rule the roost regardless of range.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Jerry

laugh laugh laugh

I'm laughing AT MYSELF before someone else does.

I MIS quoted Mr. Hall.

I believe he sung,

"Faster horses, Older whiskey, More Money" whistle whistle

That was one of those 'fraudulent' slips. grin grin

'faster women' has been MY version a long time. smile

Jerry

Your first version was better. Maybe you should have been Tom T's manager... grin

No telling where he may have gone... cool

DF

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Denton:

You posted:

"If your bullet impacts ...that point, penetration begins to decrease".

Sorry but I just don't understand. Something is getting lost in the interpretation.

Can/will you please elaborate ?

Sure. Let me have another try at it.

Here is actual average test data from 30-06 cup and core bullets impacting at various speeds

[Linked Image]

Most people are shocked that the curve slopes downward to the right, meaning you get less penetration as impact speed increases. Below about 2100 FPS, you get very deep penetration because the bullet does not open. Above about 2800 FPS, the bullet begins to fail, and penetration decreases. Between those two speeds, the length of the wound channel is about 15 inches, regardless of where in that window you are.

Partitions open at about 17-1800 FPS, and give about 16 inches of penetration regardless of impact speed above that point.

So more speed does not give you more penetration. In fact, if you're shooting something for big game with an MV above 3000 FPS, your bullets will frequently fail on shots within 100 yards or so, unless you use premium bullets.

Denton, I have to disagree with you a bit.

A faster impact will give you a wider wound channel which can result in more internal damage then a long narrow wound channel. The wider the wound channel, the better the chance for a CNS hit, which is what produced most DRT results.

A 160gr bullet leaving the barrel at 3400 can have amazing on game effects.

You may well be correct about getting a wider wound channel. I'm still wrestling with that one.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a reason so many of the 'great' rounds were moderate speed, because they didn't have the bullets we have today.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
There's a reason so many of the 'great' rounds were moderate speed, because they didn't have the bullets we have today.

I think there is a lot to that idea.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9

About 12 years ago I was hunting Alabama. There were two bucks in the edge of a wood line about 200 yards out. I settled in on the older, much nicer buck and right as pulled the trigger, the younger buck gigged the older buck in the ham with an antler. The older buck jumped up and out of the wood line and just stood there.

I thought I had missed, and hurriedly racked another round and hit him in the shoulder - dropped him where he stood. Later I realized my first round had hit lower and further back than I thought, catching the bottom of the lungs just behind the heart. That was the the difference in POI from a high shoulder shot as the buck moved as the trigger was pulled. Rifle was a 7mm-08, 140 Ballistic Tip at ~2750fps.
David

Canazes--

Thanks for an example from SOMEONE ELSE beside me. A lot of things CAN and have happened.

Thnx
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It absolutely does in my opinion. Just talking deer, I've shot them with a 375 H&H down to a 250 Savage and nothing kills them faster than a 257 Weatherby with 100 grain Hornadys at factory specs. I've never had one take a step when shot with one and I try to shoot all my deer on the shoulder.

Randy Brooks told me personally years ago the 416 seemed to kill better with the 350gr TSX than with the 400 when he was testing them and he could only surmise it was the difference in velocity. Lastly, Ross Seyfried in his book tells where the most impressive buffalo killer he's ever used was the 416 Weatherby @2700 fps.

I believe Layne Simpson held the 416 Bee in similar regard.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by denton
Denton:

You posted:

"If your bullet impacts ...that point, penetration begins to decrease".

Sorry but I just don't understand. Something is getting lost in the interpretation.

Can/will you please elaborate ?

Sure. Let me have another try at it.

Here is actual average test data from 30-06 cup and core bullets impacting at various speeds

[Linked Image]

Most people are shocked that the curve slopes downward to the right, meaning you get less penetration as impact speed increases. Below about 2100 FPS, you get very deep penetration because the bullet does not open. Above about 2800 FPS, the bullet begins to fail, and penetration decreases. Between those two speeds, the length of the wound channel is about 15 inches, regardless of where in that window you are.

Partitions open at about 17-1800 FPS, and give about 16 inches of penetration regardless of impact speed above that point.

So more speed does not give you more penetration. In fact, if you're shooting something for big game with an MV above 3000 FPS, your bullets will frequently fail on shots within 100 yards or so, unless you use premium bullets.

Denton, I have to disagree with you a bit.

A faster impact will give you a wider wound channel which can result in more internal damage then a long narrow wound channel. The wider the wound channel, the better the chance for a CNS hit, which is what produced most DRT results.

A 160gr bullet leaving the barrel at 3400 can have amazing on game effects.

You may well be correct about getting a wider wound channel. I'm still wrestling with that one.

Above 3k it's time to switch to a modern, bonded bullet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,880
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.