Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What does the rifle weigh since the upgrade? Im still torn between a cz and a model 70

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those big bores usually shoot amazingly well.

My AHR 9.3x62 is a solid inch or better gun with 250 NAB's and JB's load.

The M-70 .375 H&H shoots tight groups, too. That was the reason for saving the New Haven barrel, even though it was way too heavy. They shoot too good to replace and my smith didn't want to cut it down because of the sight holes. He said the cutter would start chattering when it got to those holes. The 24" to 21" decision made a big difference.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Phoneman
What does the rifle weigh since the upgrade? Im still torn between a cz and a model 70

My .375 M-70 weighs 9# 6 oz with the Victory as shown. It balances at the front action screw.

My AHR CZ 9.3x62 weighs 9# 11 oz with the Conquest as shown. It balances behind the front action screw around the front of the floor plate. That wood is really dense, for sure heavier than the Winchester Tupperware stock. And, that may make the difference.

To me, the M-70 feel lighter and handles faster. The CZ sure is a sweet shooter, smooth kicker. The .375 isn't bad, just jumps a bit more than the CZ. You gotta hold onto both of them on the bench or they'll jump off the front rest, especially the M-70.

To me, the M-70 action is slicker even though it's not a custom and the CZ is. I think I can cycle the M-70 slightly faster. The M-70 New Haven trigger is very good, even better since I tweaked it. The AHR trigger is good, to me not quite as good as the CZ Timney. I do like the way it sits back in the trigger guard. I'm not crazy about the factory CZ single set trigger. It sits pretty far forward, is made of MIM and that stuff does break. I'd put a Timney in a CZ in a heart beat. Very easy to do and a super trigger. Lot of folks like the simplicity of the old M-70 trigger, more than the new SC Winchester trigger.

Real big bore, express shooters use a stand up bench. I have long legs for my bench, but never go to the trouble to set it up. I guess if I was going to shoot a bunch of big guns, I would do so.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/31/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Phoneman

My .375 M-70 weighs 9# 6 oz with the Victory as shown. It balances at the front action screw.

My AHR CZ 9.3x62 weighs 9# 11 oz with the Conquest as shown. It balances behind the front action screw around the front of the floor plate. That wood is really dense, for sure heavier than the Winchester Tupperware stock. And, that may make the difference.

To me, the M-70 feel lighter and handles faster. The CZ sure is a sweet shooter, smooth kicker. The .375 isn't bad, just jumps a bit more than the CZ. You gotta hold onto both of them on the bench or they'll jump off the front rest, especially the M-70.

Real big bore, express shooters use a stand up bench. I have long legs for my bench, but never go to the trouble to set it up. I guess if I was going to shoot a bunch of big guns, I would do so.

DF

All excellent points. My model 70 jumps off the front rest more than my CZ does. The CZ 9.3x62mm is a sweetheart to shoot. The 1" pachmayr decelerator helps too... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
PM on the way.

Geno

PM sent.... Rifle is yours my friend. We'll get together and you can check it out in person... Just don't tell these guys what kind of deal I'm giving you... laugh wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Factory CZ single set trigger. MIM sucks...

MIM breaks. Timney is steel. It' don't break.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

Now lets hear the story again about how you broke your factory trigger... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread guys. I always enjoy the hell out of talking about my CZ and the 9.3x62mm... I know DF feels the same.. Even though he is hard as hell on his triggers.. laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
PM on the way.

Geno

PM sent.... Rifle is yours my friend. We'll get together and you can check it out in person... Just don't tell these guys what kind of deal I'm giving you... laugh wink

I can do fairly well keeping secrets. smirk

Their loss for not jumping in, right?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

[Linked Image]

laugh

Just be careful removing the barreled action from the stock and the set feature dialed out. The trigger won't hinge forward in that mode and the trigger slot in the bottom metal is sorta tight to clear the trigger when locked forward.

And MIM parts do break... Way too easy, IMO...

Otherwise, I had that thing adjusted very well, pretty good trigger.

Had it not broken I don't think I'd have gotten the Timney. But, the Timney is better than the factory trigger tweaked to perfection. The Timney is better than Wayne's custom AHR CZ trigger in the 9.3x62.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This shows how the Timney is positioned in the trigger guard, closer to the rear. Now, that may not make a lot of difference unless your trigger finger is getting whacked by the bolt handle.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
PM on the way.

Geno

I can do fairly well keeping secrets. smirk

Their loss for not jumping in, right?

Geno

laugh . Yes sir...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

laugh

Just be careful removing the barreled action from the stock and the set feature dialed out. The trigger won't hinge forward in that mode and the trigger slot in the bottom metal is sorta tight to clear the trigger when locked forward.

Had it not broken I don't think I'd have gotten the Timney. But, the Timney is better than the factory trigger tweaked to perfection. The Timney is better than Wayne's custom AHR CZ trigger in the 9.3x62.

DF

DF, thanks for the explanation on the trigger mishap again. I've had mine out of the stock a few times and it is also tight. Maybe even a bit tricky to get the trigger guard back on, if I remember correctly...As far as the operation of the CZ trigger, mine is adjusted so the set feature is disabled and it is a sweet trigger. It breaks right at 2.5 pounds and is very smooth, no discernible amount of creep. It just plain works very well....

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

[Linked Image]

laugh

DF

DF, thanks for the explanation on the trigger mishap again. I've had mine out of the stock a few times and it is also tight. Maybe even a bit tricky to get the trigger guard back on, if I remember correctly...As far as the operation of the CZ trigger, mine is adjusted so the set feature is disabled and it is a sweet trigger. It breaks right at 2.5 pounds and is very smooth, no discernible amount of creep. It just plain works very well....

If you're going to dial out the set feature, the trigger will be locked hard and fast, no hinging back and forth.

You need to extend the bottom metal trigger slot at least 1/4", maybe more, toward the rear action screw, elongating the bottom metal trigger slot. It's easy to do with a padded vice and a good file. That will solve the problem and you won't break the OEM trigger taking the barreled action in and out of the stock. Seems to me CZ designed the bottom metal trigger slot for single set, not so much for the locked out setting.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry to muddy up the thread, but valsdad will be checking out and probably buying my 9.3 today. I've received some PM's regarding this rifle. The only reason I'm selling it is because I have a good pre 64 model 70 375 H&H and only need 1 elephant rifle... laugh

[Linked Image]

Have a great day guys..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nBSA "only need 1 elephant rifle... laugh". But their's more than 1 elephant out afield. Unless they have all been poached by now. Of course, you may have to cull a rogue garbage truck now and again...LOL. BTW - love the look of that 'butter knife' bolt handle with the full stock. Is that part of the upgrade package too? Homesteader

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Homesteader
BTW - love the look of that 'butter knife' bolt handle with the full stock. Is that part of the upgrade package too? Homesteader

Not to my knowledge. I traded for this gun, a 7x57. The previous owner had gotten it used, so no one knows. It appears to be factory, maybe a European variant, not sure.

That butter knife handle is long and when the bolt is opened, it positions like a 60* bolt throw gun, not a 90*. No bumping the scope ocular with this set up...

The gun was really slick when I got it and is one of my fastest cycling bolt guns, right behind my MkV, which is 60* or close to that.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/03/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorry to muddy up the thread, but valsdad will be checking out and probably buying my 9.3 today. I've received some PM's regarding this rifle. The only reason I'm selling it is because I have a good pre 64 model 70 375 H&H and only need 1 elephant rifle... laugh

[Linked Image]

Have a great day guys..

Now, that's a nice one...

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love that mcmillan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.