Print Thread
Hop To
O
Okbow87 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
A group of 4 of us were supposed to be flying out on the 6th from Happy Valley for caribou. Our pilot called today and recommended that we don't come. Nothing like shutting it down at the last minute, but such is life with migratory animals and weather.

Three of us are scheduled to fly up on Friday the 4th from the lower 48, and we would still like to come. The fourth member of our group lives in the Anchorage area. So we have a home base of operation that we can work from. We are not against changing to a different caribou herd hunt or change it to a moose hunt, but have a feeling finding an air transport service with an opening last minute is probably not very likely. Open to suggestions! I have a couple different flight services that operate on the north slope I am going to call first thing in the morning to see if we can salvage our original hunt plan with a different air service first, then start exploring other options.

I will be coming up regardless even if its is just to hang with my buddy and do a little fishing, the other two will probably stay home, understandably.

Thanks!
Colin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get a second opinion. As to weather, if you do not like weather in Ak, you wait 30 minutes...

I am sure, I would not cancel a trip on just one phone call.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would just save money wait until next year. Was it 70 north?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Okbow87 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
It was 70 north. I will also add though, my buddy has used them before and is confident in the fact that there is nothing fishy going on and that Mike is really just trying to keep us from wasting our money. We will be calling different transporters up there today though to verify.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definitely call couple other transporters up there. I think coyote air is one up there that people speak pretty highly of. They are based out of coldfoot it looks like

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

O
Okbow87 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Been on the phone all morning and sounds like the weather is causing lots of troubles for people. Guys stuck at airstrips wanting to get out and guys stuck in the field trying to get home.

O
Okbow87 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
And not great hunting either...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing about Alaska by end of the week it can be in the 60's or 70's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or a full on blizzard

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
luck of the draw, hate it for ya.

always hated it for the guys that came what should be a good week of the season and due to weather or migration variances, just didn't really come together.

but I guess it's the difference in hunting and slaughtering

whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a great time up here and somehow lady luck smiles upon you.

one of my best seasons ever was last year. All we hunted was a good time, freezers still too full to hold a moose.

this year's a different story. One freezer is empty. It sure would look good with young mr. moose in there.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

O
Okbow87 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Looks like I was able to get us some flights out of Kotz. So were are changing things around quite a bit and gonna spend about $700 more a man, but we will be going hunting.

Every transporter I talked to over there had quite a few cancellations this year when they changed the limit for non residents from 2 bulls to 1. Not a problem for us, we only want to kill one bull a piece anyway. So found an outfit that was gonna be able to get us in on our timeframe. It's actually gonna get a couple extra days in the field since we won't be using multiple travel days driving up and back from Anchorage to Happy Valley. Also sounds like their hunt is going much better over there than up the haul road.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Silver lining. Have a good trip!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One stinky bull...I shoot the big cows..more meat ..no stink!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.