Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
Lots here with 3 or 4 on one side and a spike or 2 on the other is always a death sentence, if I am able to get a shot. miles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
MASS!

Ditto.

A lot of other antler characteristics require some reflection and study. Mass leaps out and slaps you in the face....even at distance....without alpha binoculars.

You know it's time to shoot. No questions.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/09/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I see the buck and think, 'I'd pay $400.00 to put that one on the wall', then it meets my criteria to be a shooter.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Drop tines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ringworm, I have killed a bunch here that looked like that. I don't see them as much as I used to, so maybe I am doing some good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mass, mass, mass. The thicker the better and I like it when it carries it's girth through the whole rack, especially tines.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Generally my weekness is the first one with legal antlers.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

When Karen and I used to hunt near Jordan, Montana, we'd usually spend the first couple of days just driving around and figuring out what kind of bucks were on the ranch ... that year.

Sometimes, the good-to-great bucks would be up and out of the Missouri Breaks and sometimes they weren't.

Anyway, on about the third day, we'd start picking our deer.

THEN, one year, this was the very first deer I saw and I fell in love with the shape of his antlers. So, he just had to die.

I killed him with my .280 Ackley Improved using a prototype 160-grain Ballistic Tip. He was right at 400-yards. Normally, I would have stalked him, but I wanted him so badly, I just killed him right there.

BANG - FLOP KILL

To my way of thinking, he had it all. Nope, I've never put a tape on him ... Why spoil it?

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CoElk101
THIS [Linked Image]

In chocolate

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not hold myself out to be a good judge of antler. In the back of my head is a small sensor that has three basic states. One is “DOE.” The second is “HAS ANTLERS.” The third is “Quint, I think we’re going to need a bigger boat.” I know that admission has lowered my esteem in your eyes, but I have to be honest. I learned how to hunt deer at a time when doe were not to be taken, anything with an antler was a gift from the Gods, and big racks were only seen hanging in restaurants.

That was me, back in 2007, talking about shooting "The Big One." in The Savage Speaks Again.

I have not shot anything bigger than TBO since. In fact, I'm probably due. Of course, I've been telling myself that for 7 years now. Up until TBO, I had a simple rule:

Only shoot a buck if he was bigger than last year's. That worked up to a point. Then I had to add provisios like:

1) If you don't shoot a buck the previous year, the scale resets
2) If you have to finish off a wounded buck, the scale resets
3) . . .

. . . pretty soon it was meaningless. I finally had to admit that I was just another naked ape with a rifle and gave up.

The problem was, after TBO, where do you go? Granted, the state record came from the next county over. TBO was 275 lbs. I've seen 300 pounders. However, I got to figuring one day and came up with a number: at any given time, there less than a dozen deer bigger than TBO roaming my county.

Since 2007, I've shot my #3 and #4 best deer. I've also passed on a nice 10 pointer that came right under my stand in 2010 during October Muzzleloader Season, and after he was gone I got to asking myself why I'd let him walk. The best answer I could find was that shooting that animal would have pretty well ended my season a month before Deer Camp officially opened.

That's my first weakness. I love the ritual of Deer Camp and hunting in those few weeks in November. Little else matters.

My other weakness? It all comes back to TBO. I'm fairly certain I will have a bigger deer in my sights some time before I die, but until he shows up, I'll always be asking myself if I should hold out for something bigger or be happy with what just stepped out from behind the cedars.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whent out the front door and looked over the hill and it looks like we have some dinks hanging around.this is the same deer in all pics.[Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by CoElk101; 09/11/15.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll come down and cull for you, if you need me to.

DMN dinks!

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi David. I don't know if he is going to make it much longer. watched some tag team bow hunters after him last night they took a shot but clean miss i watched it all unfold from the yard here. i do know a guy is next in line when muzzy open up if he can manage to make it through that then i have a third season tag.but by then i hope the the dinks dad shows up. he is here but as long as they want to chase babys im not telling them that daddy is here to.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm rooting for you.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[Linked Image]
Nice thats what dreams are made of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitebread
Originally Posted by 357Carbine
Tall symmetrical 6-point!

Exactly. I think a large 6 point is an under-appreciated masterpiece.

Here is one I took a few years back

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
These days, antlers small enough that I don’t feel compelled to get the buck shoulder-mounted. Still fail in that once in a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
These days, antlers small enough that I don’t feel compelled to get the buck shoulder-mounted. Still fail in that once in a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here in Maryland, we don't get the giant massive bucks like some of you guys have in the midwest. We absolutely don't have Mulies.

But here are a couple that float my boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.