G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
MASS!

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wide, tall, mass, cheaters, back scratchers, large brow tines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get plenty of doe tags so meat is not a problem for me and my hunting area is full of dinks. When traveling 300+ lb deer with mass and tall tines is what I seek. At home I'd just rather kill does as I have not seen what I would call a good buck yet , I'll eat my buck tag its fine by me. They ain't gonna get any bigger being dead.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This worked.

[Linked Image]

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This worked.

[Linked Image]

Who's house?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That one Skane killed a couple years back had me drooling on my screen, if I shot that one it would all be downhill from there on no matter what crossed my path.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one got my attention today on my Game Camera. Came in on the 22nd of Sept 8:30 AM. Tom

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
That one Skane killed a couple years back had me drooling on my screen, if I shot that one it would all be downhill from there on no matter what crossed my path.

MM

ive seen it in person, its more impressive than the pics. matter of fact, scott has a bunch of dandys ;-)

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

MM

ive seen it in person, its more impressive than the pics. matter of fact, scott has a bunch of dandys ;-)

I'll vouch for that! cool

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dogzapper

When Karen and I used to hunt near Jordan, Montana, we'd usually spend the first couple of days just driving around and figuring out what kind of bucks were on the ranch ... that year.

Sometimes, the good-to-great bucks would be up and out of the Missouri Breaks and sometimes they weren't.

Anyway, on about the third day, we'd start picking our deer.

THEN, one year, this was the very first deer I saw and I fell in love with the shape of his antlers. So, he just had to die.

I killed him with my .280 Ackley Improved using a prototype 160-grain Ballistic Tip. He was right at 400-yards. Normally, I would have stalked him, but I wanted him so badly, I just killed him right there.

BANG - FLOP KILL

To my way of thinking, he had it all. Nope, I've never put a tape on him ... Why spoil it?

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

IMHO tapes and books are about worthless. Unless of course you like to brag... I don't care for bragging and don't care for folks that do it.

Nice buck Steve!

My take.... I"m constantly trying to improve genetics... I shoot whats not good for the herd every time I see it. Until I'm out of tags.

I"m finally getting a solid 10 point pool at home and am starting to think about whacking every legal 8 I see that I have tags for, IE breeding age ones. Leave the 10s alone and life will be even nicer IMHO.

Can't believe I got to the point of passing a 10 though... had not ever shot a 10 until about 5 years ago.

Out and about I"m just as happy to eat a cull or doe if the herd needs thinning.

I am a meat hunter. I will NOT shoot promising bucks though, even if they are all I see.

Caveat is we have a long season, a good herd, and at least 4-5 tags..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
At the risk of being flamed, any 1 1/2 is fine by me; buck or doe. That stated, I've passed on probably 40 or more small bucks in the past 10 or 15 years, but have chewed on several does in that time. In my opinion the machismo of ONLY shooting huge bucks has probably done more to keep young people from embracing hunting than the Democrat philosophy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjk
In my opinion the machismo of ONLY shooting huge bucks has probably done more to keep young people from embracing hunting than the Democrat philosophy.

While I generally agree with that, you may be painting with a pretty broad brush there.

Some don't do it for the machismo. There's plenty of folks that get to the point in their hunting careers where it's about the challenge. And a mature deer is like a totally different breed of deer.

We should all do whatever makes our own socks go up and down. (unless you're from MN and target button bucks.. wink )

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
There's nothing macho about it for me, and I make no apologies for my "go big or go home" policy. I've shot enough game in my life. If I want meat, I'll go buy a side of beef. I could be talked into an oryx/gemsbok/eland meat hunt though.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by tjk
In my opinion the machismo of ONLY shooting huge bucks has probably done more to keep young people from embracing hunting than the Democrat philosophy.

While I generally agree with that, you may be painting with a pretty broad brush there.

Some don't do it for the machismo. There's plenty of folks that get to the point in their hunting careers where it's about the challenge. And a mature deer is like a totally different breed of deer.

We should all do whatever makes our own socks go up and down. (unless you're from MN and target button bucks.. wink )

---- This ----

Location - location - location !. Challenge - challenge - challenge !

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Mass got this one killed last Friday

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And a big Cheater didn't hurt.
[Linked Image]

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fishnut - Great buck!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GOOD LORD FISHNUT!. I grew up in a hunting environment where shooting does was not done much, and shooting a small buck almost as good as shooting a big one, then when i killed my first buck, a half rack' basket @13 I thought, killing this deer was easy, he was stupid, i know there are big bucks here, how cool would it be to outsmart one. Thats not to say i havent killed any deer since that day 19 years ago that wern't, but ive shot a lot more mature deer than anyone I grew up hunting with. Shooting small deer was empty for me, chasing big deer, even when i dont kill (every other year usually) is what keeps me addicted

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fishnut
And a big Cheater didn't hurt.
[Linked Image]

Beauty! wink

What I try to shoot in the way of deer depends entirely on where I am,what I might bump into,and what is offered up.

I killed the Dink-A-Thon contender last year because it was seasons end, and I was hungry,having been outfoxed by a toad up in Maine earlier in the season.

Such is hunting.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.