Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by jwp475

The same applies to self defense situations as well as hunting.
If a bullet reaches the vitals and doesn't incapacitate, it has failed as surely as one that doesn't reach the vitals and also fails to incapacitate.

Explain how a bullet that reaches the vitals leaving a quarter size hole through the heart will fail to incapacitate.
You're the one who referenced such failures in your original post on this thread. I'd really rather you explained it, that being the case, if you feel like it needs to be explained. Otherwise, what is this thread even about?

You're the one that posted a bullet through the vitals failing to incapacitate, do you are the one that need some or explain that phenom.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO
It's about penetration versus the Pressure Wave Fairy, Ethan.

Everybody who's Anybody knows the Pressure Wave Fairy:

Flutters along ahead of your handgun bullet,
Through the sleeve 12th Street Dog's leather jacket & tensed forearm,
Through his jacket again,
And the stolen credit cards and bag of weed in the breast pocket,
Crashes through 3" of well nourished & conditioned pectorals and ribs,
(courtesy of your state prison system)
And once inside, the Pressure Wave Fairy
Whips out his magic pink feather duster, and
Jack-slaps a honkin' big pressure wave up through Dog's brain
Knockin' him senseless and rendering him incapacitated!

Me? I'll be over there behind the dumpster with three magazines of hardball, trying not to laugh.

I love the humor posts!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You're the one that posted a bullet through the vitals failing to incapacitate, do you are the one that need some or explain that phenom.

That's not true.

If the bullet reaches the heart and the advasary continues on, instead of instant incapacitation that is simply the difference from one to another and no fault of the cartridge load combination, because it did the damage. This applies to rifle, shotgun and handgun.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That's not true.

If the bullet reaches the heart and the advasary continues on, instead of instant incapacitation that is simply the difference from one to another and no fault of the cartridge load combination, because it did the damage. This applies to rifle, shotgun and handgun.

You mean you don't understand that some run when heart is destroyed and some don't. not all drop like a CNS shot. I thought that was obvious.

Last edited by jwp475; 08/30/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just trying to be logical...

Adequate penetration seems essential.

The bigger the hole, of adequate penetration, the quicker the kill. (not applicable to CNS, obviously)

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The bigger the hole, of adequate penetration, the quicker the kill. (not applicable to CNS, obviously)

Exactly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Exactly!

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the issue with this logic. I don't recall anyone ever saying that insufficient penetration was adequate; quite the contrary.

Placement trumps everything, and with placement comes the requirement of penetration. In other words, a .22LR that hits the X ring and penetrates the heart trumps a .45ACP that missed the vitals, even if it has the same depth of penetration. Obviously, if you can hit the same spot and penetrate adequately with a larger bore, then the advantage goes that direction. Yet, nothing trumps placement.

jwp, I know that's essentially what you're saying, so I don't get all the fuss over it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

Exactly!

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the issue with this logic. I don't recall anyone ever saying that insufficient penetration was adequate; quite the contrary.

Placement trumps everything, and with placement comes the requirement of penetration. In other words, a .22LR that hits the X ring and penetrates the heart trumps a .45ACP that missed the vitals, even if it has the same depth of penetration. Obviously, if you can hit the same spot and penetrate adequately with a larger bore, then the advantage goes that direction. Yet, nothing trumps placement.

jwp, I know that's essentially what you're saying, so I don't get all the fuss over it.

Couldn't agree more!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You mean you don't understand that some run when heart is destroyed and some don't. not all drop like a CNS shot. I thought that was obvious.
Uh...

You first said...

If the bullet reaches the heart and the advasary continues on, instead of instant incapacitation that is simply the difference from one to another and no fault of the cartridge load combination, because it did the damage.

Then...

Explain how a bullet that reaches the vitals leaving a quarter size hole through the heart will fail to incapacitate.

The first implies knowledge of what you asked me to explain. If you know what you're talking about, why would you need me to explain it to you? Were you hoping I'd correct your grammar and spelling errors or...?

IOW the OP states common knowledge which something like four pages later you imply ain't so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The same applies to self defense situations as well as hunting.
If a bullet reaches the vitals and doesn't incapacitate, it has failed as surely as one that doesn't reach the vitals and also fails to incapacitate.

No doubt the person will eventually be stopped. But if you completely vaporized the heart, that person can remain conscious for up to 30 second...a LOT of death and destruction can be dealt in 30 seconds. Someone killed in that 30 seconds would say it was a failure to incapacitate.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know, let's have a spelling contest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's always going to be a variation in reactions. There was a lady cop in L.A. a number of years ago, who was shot in the heart while off duty, with a .357. She not only survived but stayed in the fight long enough to kill the attacker.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Y'all do realize that you don't have to post in threads where you disagree with the basic premise, don't you?

Ethan's gotta pad that post count!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y'all do realize that you don't have to post in threads where you disagree with the basic premise, don't you?

Good night, I wish more people understood that!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are times when silence has the loudest voice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CraigC

Ethan's gotta pad that post count!
+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does one get to nearly 35,000 posts without wasting inordinate amounts of time on the internet?????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You don't! I have over 12,000 posts on one forum in 9.5yrs and it seems like it was not only a lot of work but a huge waste of time as well. I'm not proud but ashamed. Three times that sounds like it would have to be a lot of nonsense spewed for no reason.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.