Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7 foot doors should be outlawed......

GB2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it just won't clear my small forklift, either.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any new opinions on ARE vs LEER? Looking to put a top on my new Silverado. Pretty close to the same money around here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a Leer that I got off Craigslist for around $500. The ARE's are much the same in my opinion. I'd just get whichever is cheaper and more convenient. I've been really pleased with it. It gives me a place to get out of the weather when it gets nasty and keeps gear secure. I've found a stall mat in the bed is an excellent liner.

From a trip this Spring:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dealer had both i saw no difference other than the rear door on the lear has two handle latch and the ARE has a single center latch. i ended up with the cheapest leer.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just ordered a leer for my '14 Ram. I tried the toneau cover. I've had it for a year now and I hate it. I guess I'll try to list on craigslist or something.

Leer ran a State Fair special. It comes with a carpeted roof and front removable slider to reach beer.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an entry level ARE that I bought for $300 off craigslist. I'm not crazy about the way a truck with a topper looks but it's hard to beat the versatility and on the rare occasion I need to put something in the bed that is tall or interferes with the topper it's easy enough for 2 guys to lift it off.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a LEER on my Dodge 1500. It has the rear window that opens and locks with a single latch. Had it for 2 years now, not a single problem with it so far.
If you hunt or travel with a dog, especially in wet weather, it is a near must, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a Raider for 300 bucks on Craigslist. I hate campers, but they do serve a purpose. I leave mine off until I need it...the color doesnt match, but for my purposes, who cares.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought this new just a few days after buying the truck new in 2007. The brand is Stellar. Dealer said it was made by Leer, but was their budget line sold under another name. No bells or whistles, but it has been solid for 8 years now. It was a few hundred dollars less than one with Leer on the tag.

It hasn't been off the truck since it was put on. I loosen the clamps and slide it back about twice a year to clean between the cab and front of the cap, but that is it.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had three trucks with tonneau covers on, now on my second truck with an ARE shell on. I haven't needed to take the shell off except when moving from one truck to the new truck after re painting. The front window tilts to allow cleaning of the back truck window and the shell window. I have slept in it many times when needed and wouldn't have a truck with out one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think either brand you mentioned will make you happy. There are a lot of features to consider like sliding windows vs. flip-up, slider vs. solid window on the cab end, height, etc. I've had Leers on my last 2 trucks. You will save a lot of money if you're patient and look for a good used one. I looked for about 2 months to find what I wanted in the right color. Craigslist was where I found most of the used ones.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Did anyone get the removable front window for cleaning? It is a $125 option. I think I will get the driver side window that opens for side access to the bed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the front swing in window option on the ARE. It doesn't leak or anything, but I have only used it a few times in the past 4 years. I guess I just don't climb in there and wash the back glass that much.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by duckster
Did anyone get the removable front window for cleaning? It is a $125 option. I think I will get the driver side window that opens for side access to the bed.

Yes. It was part of the deal on the "state fair special" the dealer was running.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is it helpful or a waste?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish head
One thing to consider when choosing a topper is get one that doesn't pour rain inside the bed when you open it or have it open.

Some do ... some don't. smile

This^^^^^^^^ can be a bit of a pain in the ---. Depends on what your uses for it are.

I'll second the craigslist idea, find one for your truck and save $$$. You might even get lucky like I did and find one that matches your truck color exactly. I'm not an "appearances" tpye of guy but it does look nice, very similar to the green Tundra pics (mine's a Tacoma, same color). I was thinking I was gonna find a red one that would clash, but Rustoleum would fix that (except for Shrapnel, who it would appear really likes red truck/camper combos grin )

Those pics with the rear window up give a good idea of the way water could pour into the camper shell when wet.

Someone mentioned a rake for getting stuff out. I found a 6 ft boat hook on the road near a boat ramp and it sits perfectly right on the "shelf" formed by the bed rail. Handiest thing I've ever found maybe. Pulls the truck box I keep in there right to me. Straw bales, etc too.

Good luck with your search.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by duckster
Is it helpful or a waste?

I've never cleaned it. I wouldn't pay extra for it. But it was part of the deal done didn't argue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'll second the craigslist idea, find one for your truck and save $$$. You might even get lucky like I did and find one that matches your truck color exactly.

uhh, OK....I dunno if it saved $$$ or not, but it cost $200.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
picked up a leer this weekend.
[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.