Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a chronograph, but rarely use it anymore. Like LBK (LBJ's successor) I never tread anywhere close to max with anything. Last time I did that was with a .243 way back when I was young, dumb, and full of... Didn't make stuff any deader and I went through brass cases like most people go through underwear, and the throat eroded horribly. Heck, I load my '06's down to .30-40 levels and my .300's down almost to .30-30 levels, and life is pleasant.

A wise man told me once that a bullet only has to go fast enough to outrun a paper target. Who cares if the hole was punched by a bullet going the speed of sound or Mach 3? Accuracy is what matters, not speed. As for hunting, I have actually killed more deer in my life with .45 and .50 lead round balls loafing along at sedate velocities from muzzle loaders than with all my "modern" guns combined. A wad of soft lead going 16-1800fps does terrible things to living tissue, whether fired from a .45 ML or from a .30 caliber.

We are steeped in the lore of the current "sniper culture", gun magazine cowboys, and internet super heroes who would have you believe that if a gun won't shoot MOA at 500 yards with only 12" of drop it's worthless. That all game is killed at nigh onto a quarter mile away is a given, it would seem. IMO the best distance stretcher for any gun isn't more velocity but rather one's own hind legs. It's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing".

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/31/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I am seeing with my reloading is some mid to low end Book loads are too hot for the chamber not to stick:in that paticular rifle. How do I know that load was not above max since I do not own a chronograph?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What exactly are the load recipes that are giving you a problem?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
What I am seeing with my reloading is some mid to low end Book loads are too hot for the chamber not to stick:in that paticular rifle. How do I know that load was not above max since I do not own a chronograph?

John. The ONLY thing a chronograph will give you is velocity and related stats. Sd, high and low vel. and averages. It will NOT give you pressure. If your cases are sticking the first thing I would do is check the chamber and make sure it's smooth without pitting. I would look at your cases inside and out for pressure signs. And I consult multiple manuals to see that they at least are somewhat agreeable.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

John. The ONLY thing a chronograph will give you is velocity and related stats. Sd, high and low vel. and averages. It will NOT give you pressure. If your cases are sticking the first thing I would do is check the chamber and make sure it's smooth without pitting. I would look at your cases inside and out for pressure signs. And I consult multiple manuals to see that they at least are somewhat agreeable.

But you don't get velocity without pressure.. Going by book loads is great, but if there's confusion or doubt, a chrony is going to help you figure out what the devil is going on fast (pun intended grin).

On sale now, $75.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/626107/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

But you don't get velocity without pressure.. Going by book loads is great, but if there's confusion or doubt, a chrony is going to help you figure out what the devil is going on fast (pun intended grin).

On sale now, $75.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/626107/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph

That's why I don't go by book loads. I use the manuals as a guide only. At the low end/mid range loads, if 4-6 of my manuals are within reason of one another, then I'll start there and check for accuracy. I have had a chronograph for years and the ONLY reason I use it is to calculate my energy for a given load. It doesn't take much of a load to get 1000 fp. I've been doing this for years with great success. If you are confused or doubtful than I suggest you shouldn't be reloading in the first place. "Most" manuals are ultra conservative. They are very cautious about releasing load information that could be the result of impending liability. They do misprint, but luckily I have not actually seen this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Different powders have different burn characteristics, Captain Obvious here. blush Like pumps have different performance curves. Try a different powder for the different pressure curves and see if you can get the velocity up w/o the pressure spike that's giving you trouble.

Check the chamber too.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's why I don't go by book loads. I use the manuals as a guide only. At the low end/mid range loads, if 4-6 of my manuals are within reason of one another, then I'll start there and check for accuracy. I have had a chronograph for years and the ONLY reason I use it is to calculate my energy for a given load. It doesn't take much of a load to get 1000 fp. I've been doing this for years with great success. If you are confused or doubtful than I suggest you shouldn't be reloading in the first place. "Most" manuals are ultra conservative. They are very cautious about releasing load information that could be the result of impending liability. They do misprint, but luckily I have not actually seen this.

I have one (for $75 why the heck wouldn't a guy have one?), but I use it pretty much only when I need to work out ballistics for longer ranges for hunting (PointBlank is good, free software for that btw) or when I'm shooting what should be a medium load but start seeing something that could be pressure signs. I find that the book loads NEVER match for velocity (almost always high), and thus trying to calculate ballistics off of the book velocity is a good way to shoot a deer in the knees.
Back when I hunted wide open spaces more and pushed some bolt actions to near max loads I used it religiously to monitor velocity.

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/01/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

I have one (for $75 why the heck wouldn't a guy have one?), but I use it pretty much only when I need to work out ballistics for longer ranges for hunting (PointBlank is good, free software for that btw) or when I'm shooting what should be a medium load but start seeing something that could be pressure signs. I find that the book loads NEVER match for velocity (almost always high), and thus trying to calculate ballistics off of the book velocity is a good way to shoot a deer in the knees.
Back when I hunted wide open spaces more and pushed some bolt actions to near max loads I used it religiously to monitor velocity.

Ok good for you. You're sounding more and more like a computer guy. Me, I just like killin' stuff............ Know your gun, know your loads and know your capability. I shot a deer in BOTH front knees ONCE. In fact I visited that exact spot just this past weekend with my son and the rest of the family. Haven't been back to that spot for 44 years. At any rate I was shooting a mod 740 Remington in 30-06. This deer stepped out at no more than 40 yards. He was behind an apple tree with a limb horizontal covering his vitals. I was young and stupid. The limb was about 6" thick and I figured at that range with such a GREAT rifle I's shoot through the limb and be done with it. I did and the deer took off jumping like a kangaroo. I chased it until it got hung up on a stone wall. I finished him off with a round to the neck. NEVER EVER did i do that again. Sight your rifle in with a load that is adequate to kill a deer humanly and do NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Once I have a sweet load I do not tinker.

But we're getting away from the topic. If my cases are sticking, I don't jump immediately to pressure. But I also do not discount it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I find that the book loads NEVER match for velocity (almost always high),

I have found that in "most" cases the test barrel is 26" unless otherwise stated. If your rifle has a shorter barrel, than it stands to reason your velocities will be less.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like that varies by book. Some test customs, some test factory sporting guns.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ok good for you. You're sounding more and more like a computer guy. Me, I just like killin' stuff............ Know your gun, know your loads and know your capability.

Computer guy? Okay.. different hunting out here where 400+ yard shots can be taken regularly. These are shots you just shouldn't even try without knowing velocity, drift and energy. Which is where the chrony comes in even with factory ammo.
Now that I hunt my little 30 acres and never take a shot over 125 yards, it's not so important, probably more like your hunting. But I still run the ballistics just in case I end up chasing a wounded one because 100 yards off of my land and you can see for miles (literally).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Ok good for you. You're sounding more and more like a computer guy. Me, I just like killin' stuff............ Know your gun, know your loads and know your capability.

Computer guy? Okay.. different hunting out here where 400+ yard shots can be taken regularly.

BINGO. I will NEVER forget the ONE time I got to hunt for 2 weeks in Oregon with my nephew He sat me on the edge of a cliff, literally, and gave me a set of field glasses and said start "hunting". I don't envy you guys. Two very different circumstances of which to hunt under. No offense, but I'll take mine over yours anytime. Not near as many boundaries out here. Park the vehicle an hunt for the most part. If I wound an animal, highly unlikely ( grin grin grin) and it gets onto another piece of property I just go gettem............

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently bought my first rangefinder. Not for deer so much- 125 yards is a loooong shot where I hunt, so any reasonable cartridge will do just fine with a reasonable point blank range zero- but rather for squirrel hunting. 0-50 yards with a .22 target rifle zeroed for 50 yards equals a dead squirrel. Beyond 50 yards and things get interesting as those slow match bullets start dropping pretty fast. Knowing the velocity, drop at various distances, scope settings on the micrometer mounts worked out by serious bench times, and pre-selected distances from the stand ranged with the rangefinder makes for taking the guess work out of long shots- kinda like working across long ranges out on the prairie with a CF rifle I suppose. It'll come in handy with my .22 Hornet + cast loads for the same purpose and technique, with a longer effective range than with the 52 Winchester.

The older I get, the more excited I am about squirrel hunting over deer hunting!

Sorry, I digress.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The few times I hunted "out west" was in Wyoming in the high desert. Not anything like the experiences of a lot of you guys, but here goes. I used a Mannlicher-Schoenauer .257 Roberts with (yikes) a scope, sighted for 200 yards, and bullet drops worked out to 400 yards. Every antelope and every mule deer I bagged was within 75 yards. A couple were so close I could've got them with an arrow. My guide on each occasion (the same guy, Randy Greer out of Gillette) asked if I wanted to hunt or snipe. When I said hunt, he smiled and we embarked on long stalks through sage brush and belly scraping prickly pear cactus. I shall carry the fond memories of those grueling stalks forever.

Again, I digress. (But y'all expect that of me, right?! grin )

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/01/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of up and down here, not so much flat ground stalking.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet you like them grey squirrels. They can still Crack a nut. You should try drear hunting. As in a deer face and a Bear ass. Any ways h 4895 in the 300 savage and lever whatever powder in the 30 30 will not go much past if to mid range loads 4 me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There is some right funny stuff in this thread.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a PAC crony.. it's a toy IMO .your primer is a much better indicator of pressure then anything else the average guy owns . like LBK I run my loads in the middle .why try to make the 303 something it's not ? A deer will never know the difference in 100fps.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the tip Calhoun gonna get me a chronograph and step my knowledge up a notch.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.