Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Training issue=

If you want and or need what a 7.62 gas gun offers then you work with the weight and deal with it. There are only so many of them that work well enough to be more than a play thing, and none of them are lightweight.

There is a reason that those who use guns as a job that have both 5.56 and 7.62, overwhelming choose compact 5.56's. For most that juice isn't worth the squeeze.

As far as the original question- no, the M1A or FAL isn't the way to go. LMT, KAC, Larue and FN SCAR Heavy if you need it to work.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Ruger 308 is not a KAC gun nor would I recommend it for that use, at $1600 it works for me and I fire about 20-20 rounds through it a month but the 11 pounds makes it easy to bench, and it is accurate with a chromed bore. NOT a tree stand gun, it does fine in a ground blind within sight distance of the truck smile

I just built a cool 6.8SPC to shoot all the 120SST and 110Vmax ammo at Academy sports. It is with 3.5-10x50 scope, LT-104, 10 rounds, carry sling 8 pounds 3 ounce. The 85 grain TSX with 30.5 grains of H322 is said to be "ok" for shooting stuff.

Then there is the 110 TTSX which might go 2500 or so..

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/01/15.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was just wondering if there was some Jedi trick to even out the weight.

I tried an AR-10 carbine for a while and found that if I need a 308, it'll be in a bolt gun. Autos that I've been around will not handle the pressure that a bolt can and if I need a 308, it's due to distance which negates the need for quick handling.

Of course there are instances where an LMT 308 would be fun.

Isn't it about time for that pig man to show up? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should also be pointed out, a 16" .308 is an acquired taste, especially if it has a muzzle brake. Although they usually will clear the benches next to you, at the range. smile

I'd eventually like to add a .308 which takes Pmags, but so far I know of no reliable and lightweight .308 semi-auto

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you are spot on, I wear pro ears gold when I hunt with the 16 inch Ruger which has a flash hider no brake.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
but so far I know of no reliable and lightweight .308 semi-auto

What's your criteria for reliable and lightweight?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just for information sake, Gun Tests magazine ran a side by side test of the Ruger SR-762 and the Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 in their Sept. 2014 edition.
The list price on the Socom was $1905 while the Ruger was $2195.
They both shot groups well. The Ruger averaged from 1.2 ins. to 1.6 ins., while the Socom's ran 1.3 ins. to 1.6 ins. These were averages of five shot groups with the same ammo for each.
Ruger weighed in at 8.6 lbs. and the Socom weighed 8.4 lbs.
The Ruger's trigger broke at 10.5 lbs. and was not consistant. The Socom's broke at 5.75 lbs. and did not need any improvement according to the testers. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Of the two Armalites I have, one has never choked. The other needed a replacement extractor spring set, which was no big deal and easily fixed, once I figured out what was wrong. If I had to pick a criteria out of the air, I'd say 500 rounds without jams or cleaning, and I think both would do it. The lighter of the two is around 9½ lbs empty with its 18" Rainier barrel and Vortex hider, less optic.

A lightweight .308? 8 lbs or less, empty, w/o optics, with a free float tube or quad rail and at least a mid-weight 16" barrel?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=tex_ smile
I'd eventually like to add a .308 which takes Pmags, but so far I know of no reliable and lightweight .308 semi-auto [/quote]

My LMT308MWS came with one KAC magazine. I checked into additional KAC magazines and decided to give the P-Mag a try. Bottom line they work great. The current P-Mags work in the LMT, KAC (SR-25), and...

I know you said lightweight, which my LMT isn't - but it works just fine with P-Mags.

Craig

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually RE the weight, we NEVER shot off the bench unless load testing and final testing was out of the sling.

For us we wanted heavy, it was MUCH easier to shoot highpower courses that way, and for NTIT I wanted as heavy as I could get, so you could get 40 or so hits in 50 seconds at 600 with a mag change included.

Light guns jump around and won't settle worth a flip for me.

But I think that it really depends on what type of "game" hyou are shooting.

I had a light bolt gun barreled, and its been sitting around in the safe, havent even bedded the stock yet, and I've never found the want to finish and hunt it, its there in case I get a goat or sheep hunt ever... which I doubt.. but just in case...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Just for information sake, Gun Tests magazine ran a side by side test of the Ruger SR-762 and the Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 in their Sept. 2014 edition.
The list price on the Socom was $1905 while the Ruger was $2195.
They both shot groups well. The Ruger averaged from 1.2 ins. to 1.6 ins., while the Socom's ran 1.3 ins. to 1.6 ins. These were averages of five shot groups with the same ammo for each.
Ruger weighed in at 8.6 lbs. and the Socom weighed 8.4 lbs.
The Ruger's trigger broke at 10.5 lbs. and was not consistant. The Socom's broke at 5.75 lbs. and did not need any improvement according to the testers. E

I have seen the Springfield that high. The ruger not more than $1700, the trigger in the ruger does need replacement with RRA match trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Of the two Armalites I have, one has never choked. The other needed a replacement extractor spring set, which was no big deal and easily fixed, once I figured out what was wrong. If I had to pick a criteria out of the air, I'd say 500 rounds without jams or cleaning, and I think both would do it. The lighter of the two is around 9½ lbs empty with its 18" Rainier barrel and Vortex hider, less optic.

A lightweight .308? 8 lbs or less, empty, w/o optics, with a free float tube or quad rail and at least a mid-weight 16" barrel?

It can be done, I have one (8lb reliable 308). Too bad DPMS can't pull their head out of the sand and deisgn a reliable G2 .308.

Last edited by wareagle700; 09/01/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello, I just saw this. Back in the day, late 80's, I owned a HK91 with the PSG1 trigger. With that + bipod + raised cheek stock + mount & scope, it went 16-18 lbs (pending mag capacity). Shot MOA or slightly less, but man was it heavy. Only deer I ever shot with it was a small-ish doe, and I was not sure I wanted to drag out less, the deer or the gun! Being that I am a towering 5'6", it always felt like I was trying to hold a 16 pound pistol to me, the stock was just a bit too long to be practical for me.

When DSA started out, I had one of thier FN FAL kits I built up on IMBEL receiver , and had one of those goofy British tri-lux sights on it. Once I go away from that and went to a scope and mount accuracy got better, but again, that 16 + pounds or so (admittedly included bipod) and crunchy trigger made it less than MOA, more like 2-3 inches, and all the stuff regarding my short arms still applied. Neat battle rifle though, ergonomically MUCH better than the HK

I had a 'bush' model M1A and that was one sweeeeet gun, but scope mounting put the scope very high off the standard stock, almost a chin weld was required. Nice gun with a scout scope on it. Ergonomics were not quite equal the FN but the accuracy was much better, and it handled very well, the apex of John Garand's design to be sure. 2MOA or slightly less? Yep, I recall it as being that. M1A owners hate to admit it, but they have the same issue with the op rod that Garand owners have, you can damage the gun with certain powders due to the torque forces on the op rod caused by powders that do not burn efficiently in the design. not really a weakness....unless we have a major issue with powder shortages. Really more something to be aware of, all told. I sold the gun only to fund emergency surgery for the wifey, else I would still have it (still have the Wifey too, FWIW)

I briefly owned a 308 AK and it was pie-plate accurate and in a sporter conversion, so it went away about as fast as I got it.

So now, I own and very much like my Gen 1 DPMS LR-308. Shoot whatever powder/load in it and it is fine. mine is easily capable of 1 MOA at 200 YDS, and that is with factory match ammo. I really love it, despite the weight of about 11-12 pounds loaded up. The adjustable stock one 'notch' in allows for my shorter arms. the Magpul mags are cheap and super reliable. Free float barrel and the vertical front stubby grip are just right. Once I got a Gieselee trigger in it, all was good. I am not at home or I would post a pic of a doe I took as she trotted away at an angle, tough shot with a scope on 3.5x, and it has accounted for my farthest shot to date, 225 yds sitting, elbows on knees, one shot kill on a doe. Gun worked so well it made it simple. So yes, I like the design. Only thing I can fault in my particular gun is the 16" barrel. At the time of purchase there was an 18" and a 16" available same price, and my bud got there first and got the 18. If I can ever get my kid thru college I plant to go to a 18 or 20 inch barrel, weight be darned. that 16 is LOUD, and requires muffs, not plugs.

So that is my .02 on a thread that it appears the OP started to generate responses (and possibly arguments), which at least in my case, it has

Last edited by iambrb; 09/01/15. Reason: again, my typin' sux!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i still don’t know much about my gun. i’d have to go to the dpms website to tell you the specs. pretty sure i cleaned it sometime this year though.

comes as no surprise i don’t know what it weighs. with the stock, scope, can and full mag i can tell you it’s a handful. as pathetic as this sounds… oh what i would give to be 50 again lol.

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I put together a PA-10 and got it down to that weight by reprofiling the barrel. That's with an 18" barrel plus flash hider, 15" MI free float rail, and Magpul furniture. It goes 9 lb scoped with an empty Pmag, right at 8 lb or a hair under without optics. The PA-10 receivers are lighter than the DPMS equivalents.

Faxon sells an 18" 308 barrel that is about the same weight as mine.

Don't know what your criteria is for reliable though. My PA-10 hasn't malfunctioned once, but some small parts needed extra fitting out of the box. Don't know if they've changed that yet. Once parts were fitted and got the gas adjusted it has been 100%.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a fal.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that one looks light, I had one of those Springfield guns imported from Brazil, it had a built in bi-pod and was the heaviest gun I have ever owned,accurate however even with the iron sights. I did have a dust cover with rails on it which I viewed to be about as useful as a code of ethics book at the Democratic National Convention.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm picking my Gen II Hunter up from UPS tonight. It's back from repairs at Ahlman's. I'm hoping they know more about guns than DPMS does, which wouldn't be hard.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The current issue of Recoil magazine has an article about taking a DPMS Gen 2 Recon down to under 7 pounds. And it was reliable, etc.
They also had a Gen 2 Hunter that they quit working on because of apparent pressure issues which were probably issues with size of hole for firing pin in the bolt.

They did comment that the Gen 2 is a neat design but needs some QC attention.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They took weight from the wrong areas and left a gas system designed for .223's. As "innovative" as the GII is I am amazed that some areas on the design were totally neglected.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.