Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Curious how folks like the SBH in 454 or 480? Traded away my SRH 454 and think one (or a 480) but be worth a second look in SBH trim.

Thanks!

g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bunch of folks over on the Single-Action Forum have just taken delivery. So far all have been very pleased.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both a .454 and .480 and like them both very much. Both have proven accurate.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Took delivery of mine last Fri, but have not got to shoot it yet.
On the exterior it seems to be typical Ruger fit and finish. If it shoots I think I'll like it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I have both a .454 and .480 and like them both very much. Both have proven accurate.

If one's good, two's better!! laugh

Just curious, if you could only pick one, which would you keep and why??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've already got a Bisley 45 Colt, so I'll go for the 480. Can't pass on that. Still waiting for Ruger to crank em up. Curious to hear what Whitworth says though.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw my first one in the flesh today, came through for a transfer. Outside fit and finish was excellent, front sight was on straight, grip frame to frame fit was about as goo as I've seen from the factory, grips were crap of course. Now the bad. The cylinder was fit so tight in the frame window that it wouldn't even rotate. The basepin was stuck halfway out too. Had to disassemble it to get the pin out and remove the cylinder. The ratchet had a bad burr on each tooth and the hand had a notch in it where it contacted the burrs. I ended up cleaning up the rachet and the raised burr on the hand, stoned the gas ring on the front of the cylinder so it was level and all was well.

Makes me wonder where the fired case it was shipped from originated as it certainly didn't come out of that gun.

That being said I still want to get one of the 480s. Even if it came in the same shape as the one I saw today it only took about 30 minutes to get it running.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got both ordered, still waiting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's been two weeks and I'm rapidly losing interest...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not exactly sure what it means but the LGS said they put one of each on their wish list with Lipseys. I get whatever comes first. There are no bad choices here, .454 has some pluses, .480 has some pluses, relative to each other, but neither have any negatives that I can see compared to any other options. Both go boom, both make big holes in things. What's not to like?

That said, I still wanted to see a .480 with a 5 shot cylinder, 4-5/8" barrel, and the lighter aluminum grip frame ... a slightly sub 40 ounce package for packing. Probably won't happen.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Ive heard from a major distributor that a there has been a recall on all new Ruger single action revolvers, not sure which models specifically yet but that may play a part.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by warpig602
Ive heard from a major distributor that a there has been a recall on all new Ruger single action revolvers, not sure which models specifically yet but that may play a part.

The only recall I know of is the transfer bar upgrade for old model (3-screw pre-'73) Ruger single actions -- which has been on-going for a very long time. Might want to inform your major distributor that they are wrong. Demand for these revolvers is currently high, hence the wait. Patience is a virtue in this case.

How do these rumors start????

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's easy. A guy can't get products desired by angry frustrated customers, SO he makes up a story.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

The only recall I know of is the transfer bar upgrade for old model (3-screw pre-'73) Ruger single actions -- which has been on-going for a very long time. Might want to inform your major distributor that they are wrong. Demand for these revolvers is currently high, hence the wait. Patience is a virtue in this case.

Just because you haven't heard of it , doesnt make it not so. Distributors knew about the LCP recall before the general public did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just because you haven't heard of it , doesnt make it not so. Distributors knew about the LCP recall before the general public did.

No, this was based on a conversation with higher ups at Ruger.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow! Sure didn't have any issue's anywhere close to that with mine. The grip fit leaves a little bit to be desired, but it is not terrible. That and a couple very minor finish issues, well I'd just be pickin nit's.
Got a 480 coming too, and just can't wait to have them both to the range

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I bet he'd know if it was real or not.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a .480 on order through Local Gun Store, hopefully it comes through. It will fit in well between the BFR .475Linebaugh and the SRH's
Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What ares these rolling out the door priced at?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dealer told me $749 out the door for the 480 Ruger… for whatever it's worth he has one on his wish list too and it is supposedly mine if it ever gets here.

Gunbroker had a few a couple of days ago and the bids were running up around a grand (maybe more as I was not watching them).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.