Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Why couldn't Ruger just build a lighter weight Hawkeye for hunters instead of gutting the Hawkeye line in favor of the RAR?

I purchased 2 RAR's but can not warm up to the stock, the Tikka plastic stock that so many complain about here is built like a tank compared to the RAR..

BTW could some tell me what their Hawkeye All Weather 06 weighs in a Edge? I am sentimental when it comes to Rugers, my first centerfire was a super accurate new Ruger safety tang 30-06 that killed a lot of game until I got older and wanted a lighter rifle.

Ted
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
They did build a light Hawkeye. It was called the Ultra Light IIRC. Must not have sold very well though because it was discontinued.

Weight is not the only reason RARs sell. There's a lot more to it than that.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The issue isn't about weight, its really about cost and the perceived value of features.

A good portion of the RAR buyers wouldn't touch the RAR at $600 or $700 a pop. What they want is a rifle that's cheap and for some accurate.

If you could grab 100 RAR buyers (not the campfire ones but the just the run of the mill folks), they wouldn't know what a one piece bolt, open trigger, CRF etc are, nor if you told them would they care.

You won't find many hawkeyes in EDGE stocks, but I do have a MKII in a MPI stock thats just a touch over 6lbs with scope. For all practical purposes the hawkeye action weighs just about what a M70 action does, so like the M70 its not really where you want to start for an extreme LW, but you can certainly build a reasonable weight rifle off one.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by noKnees

If you could grab 100 RAR buyers (not the campfire ones but the just the run of the mill folks), they wouldn't know what a one piece bolt, open trigger, CRF etc are, nor if you told them would they care.

Nope. It is under $400, has an "accutrigger," and goes bang. SOLD!

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone make a drop in wood stock for the RAR ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
McMillan won't make an Edge stock for Ruger 77's. The design of the recoil lug leaves too little material behind it so the stock wouldn't be strong enough.

At least that was their story a while ago, I don't see that info on their newer web site but have no reason to think they've changed that policy since they still don't recommend an Edge for anything more powerful than a .300 WM in any rifle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mg-arms makes a 13 ounce Kimber Montana patterned stock for the Ruger 77 Hawkeye/Mk II.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
old willys,

The only reason Ruger is "gutting" the Hawkeye line is because shooters are buying far more RAR's. Firearms companies do not usually keep making guns that aren't selling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's funny, I remember numerous discussions on the fire about the Ruger 77's (before the RAR's) were described as rather crude and clunky. Their actions felt tlike there was gravel inside, the triggers rough, heavy and creepy, the finishes on the new Hawkeyes rough, cheap and ugly.

David

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We're selling RAR's 15 to 1 over the Hawkeye's. The Americans move off the shelf at a much faster rate.

Personally, I've come full circle. I was a 77 guy for years. I experimented with tons of other stuff and am now back to the 77's. In my opinion, they're a lot of rifle for the money.

The stainless RAR's took a big price increase this year. The stainless Hawkeye's took a decrease thanks to distributors that wanted to liquidate discontinued rifles. The stainless Hawkeye is on the shelf for $161 more than the stainless RAR.

Even though I like the RAR, my money is being spent on Hawkeye's until our supply runs out.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm really hoping Ruger makes enough money off the RARs to come out with a slightly redesigned, nicer stocked Hawkeye....the new "Rifleman's Rifle". I truly think they could sell a bunch of them to guys looking for a higher end, tough hunting rifle. That is, if marketed correctly.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This is beginning to sound a lot like something Jack O’Connor wrote about the cheapening of the Winchester Model 70 in 1964. He said it apparently never occurred to the powers at Winchester to keep making the better rifle and up the quality and price, and make the cheaper rifle for the masses.

And when the Winchester Model 70 Classic appeared in 1990, it sold far better than any of the people at Winchester expected. They thought it would be a limited model that appealed only to the dinosaurs who liked controlled-round-feed, but within a few years the Classic became the standard Model 70.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They could have dropped a good bit of weight by going to a blind magazine like the Montana, but you'd still have a pretty big hunk-o-steel left.

Let's face it, a solid, accurate rifle for $300 is going to attract a lot of ordinary hunters and shooters. I'm largely done with buying stuff, and plan on concentrating on making good use of what I have, but might well go to a RAR if I needed to replace something in order to utilize the investment I have in a particular cartridge. Heck, they're cheaper than a new barrel, even a lot of Encore barrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting comparison to Winchester.

I think there will always be a market for quality "higher end" gear. Whether or not Ruger is able to take advantage of some of that market with the Hawkeye is the question....they certainly have a history of providing classic arms with their singles actions, No. 1's, and shotguns. What worries me is that many of those guns seem to be leaving the catalog with alarming frequency.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'm really hoping Ruger makes enough money off the RARs to come out with a slightly redesigned, nicer stocked Hawkeye....the new "Rifleman's Rifle". I truly think they could sell a bunch of them to guys looking for a higher end, tough hunting rifle. That is, if marketed correctly.

The Hawkeye is supposed to be a refined MkII with a slimmer stock and better (!?!) trigger. A return to the tang safety while retaining the CRF and possibly a round top version, along with a real improvement of the trigger might stir things up, but since the RARs are selling well and the goal is to make money, not gratify persnickety loonies, they'll likely just stay the course. Lots of 77s out there that can be tricked out if so desired. And let's not forget that the tactical-ish Hawkeyes seem to be doing pretty well at a pretty hefty price.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
old willys,

The only reason Ruger is "gutting" the Hawkeye line is because shooters are buying far more RAR's. Firearms companies do not usually keep making guns that aren't selling.

Mule Deer

That makes sense, did not realize that the Hawkeye line was doing that poorly.

Now I am thinking I better go on the web and grab a stainless all weather Hawkeye while they are still available.

Last edited by old_willys; 09/01/15.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old_willys
old willys,

Mule Deer

Now I am thinking I better go on the web and grab a stainless all weather Hawkeye while they are still available.

Thats what I did when the wife got me a Lipseys Limited Ruger Hawkeye
RSI 30-06 Stainless love this little Ruger and even has open sights!

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by old_willys
old willys,

Mule Deer

CDNN has them on sale for $499; that's a lot of rifle for the money, IMO.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
^^^ yes it is.

Wonder if the price of used SS MKII's and Hawkeye's will shoot up once the supply of new ones are gone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.