-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why don't you put the fast-twist and McMillan ideas together and drunk email them to Lipseys as the .22/250 Prong Goat Special or Texas Skinny Deer Express or the like?

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the Hawkeye has a lot to offer as well. They won't make it a lightweight but with places like Lipseys and others out there, I'd think a fast twist 22-250 would be easy, and sell like the .44 Special Flattop they refused to make all those years.

A distributor exclusive in a McMillan would probably sell like a mofo too. I would suspect anyway.

Travis

If a nice light stock was readily available (think Edge or Manners EH), the Hawkeye could be made into a lightweight. For example, I have a Ruger 77 7mm-08 with a Win Featherweight contour barrel, which should go sub-8 lbs. scoped, suppressed, slung and loaded, once it arrives back from MG Arms.

Light stock and go easy on the barrel shank length is about all that’s needed. Some lighter rings would help, as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or.....offer just barrels

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And in .375 Ruger

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Billy made some great points. I don't dislike their ring system as is. I was just thinking of weight. The Hawkeye is virtually bomb proof and one of my favorites. Case and point -- I brought a stainless 270 home today. Thought I better grab it before they were gone. I mounted a 6x42 with dots and am ready to start stacking game.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the Hawkeye has a lot to offer as well. They won't make it a lightweight but with places like Lipseys and others out there, I'd think a fast twist 22-250 would be easy, and sell like the .44 Special Flattop they refused to make all those years.

A distributor exclusive in a McMillan would probably sell like a mofo too. I would suspect anyway.

Travis

If a nice light stock was readily available (think Edge or Manners EH), the Hawkeye could be made into a lightweight. For example, I have a Ruger 77 7mm-08 with a Win Featherweight contour barrel, which should go sub-8 lbs. scoped, suppressed, slung and loaded, once it arrives back from MG Arms.

Light stock and go easy on the barrel shank length is about all that’s needed. Some lighter rings would help, as well.

Not cool on the campfire but MPI makes a LW for the Ruger. I have a 358 win thats near 6lb.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, then. It's unanimous...... laugh

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hell yes!

+1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Ruger will need to step up to be the first to offer a big bore African cartridge in a inexpensive rifle

.375 and .416 Ruger chambered in the American rifle

They could call it the .Ruger Afro-American Rifle

All black of course

They already were, years before Howa, Savage, and Mossberg picked up the Ruger cartridges with the Hawkeye. Picked mine up for $650. IMHO, the American wouldn't be enough gun to support that much powder ignition. 338-06, 338 RCM, 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62, now you're onto something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Since this thread is a sticky in the Hunting Rifles Forum, I'd say keep it going to tell Ruger what we're looking for in a hunting rifle.

Ideas?

I'm all for a newer version of the 77/Hawkeye for hard use. Or a "premium" version of the RAR.

1. Twist and mag length set with handloaders in mind. Factory ammo users should not be affected. This would be my number one request.

2. Retain the proprietary rings, or go integrated rail. I'd prefer an integrated & extended 1913 with built-in incline but realize many would not take advantage of the incline. I'd still take a 0-degree extended rail that was machined or cast into the receiver. Extended rail would provide flexible scope mounting options but a closed top receiver could be an issue with top loading unless the port was sized properly.

3. Retain the one-piece bolt, or mechanically fixed handle but not brazed.

4. Fix the safety wing as mentioned earlier by extending the wing. The tang safety is fine for the RAR.

5. Consider shooter safety in the event of a blown primer or ruptured case. Vents, baffles, c-collar, etc. Perhaps just a better baffle at the rear of the 77 bolt? The current RAR seems pretty good as-is with fat bolt.

6. If allowed to nitpick, how about a fixed ejector if retaining CRF?

7. Design must have a robust bolt stop.

8. Keep the relatively open trigger which is easy to adjust. And make it compatible with the current Hawkeye so people can buy a Timney or other aftermarket trigger if they choose.

9. V-blocks would be fine. Floorplate with option for blind mag. But changes to the underside of the action would force aftermarket stock manufacturers to change their inlets. Not sure if this is a good idea. I really don't have a problem with a flat bottom receiver, angled screw, or 2-pc metal but I might be missing something.

10. I'd prefer a stock with stiff fore-end and floated barrel. And I have come to like the open grip on the Kimbers with overall ergos that are tough to beat in my opinion.

11. How about a little research/testing in terms of lock time? And I like the ability to quickly disassemble the bolt but this is not an absolute must.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot one...

12. Gotta be available in stainless!

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/09/15.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Any updates???? Thanks!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To update the Hawkeye, they can start by offering the "new" synthetic stock for the whole line that they just introduced on the Gunsite Scout rifle.

And a lighter (aluminum?) ring set would go a long way.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a chance. Ruger will never get another penny of my money after the 7x57 Ruger #1 fiasco I went through with them. Terrible customer service trying to tell me that 3.5" groups at 100 yards was within their engineering specs for their flagship rifle. Ruger can suck it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1-Keep the Ruger M77/Hawkeye Scope Rings.
2-Bring back the M77 MKII stainless steel finish.
3-Or better yet the Matte stainless finish on their SR1911 !!!
4-Bring back the Ultra Lights!!
5-Bring back the RSI`s!!
6-Put a proper safety on it, as in a top tang safety.

Last edited by 35; 08/26/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Billy made some great points. I don't dislike their ring system as is. I was just thinking of weight. The Hawkeye is virtually bomb proof and one of my favorites. Case and point -- I brought a stainless 270 home today. Thought I better grab it before they were gone. I mounted a 6x42 with dots and am ready to start stacking game.

I brought their laminated Hawkeye home yesterday in .270Win.. Have a black Hawkeye stock enroute. As an aside, a Ruger African purchased last month in 300WM has been very accurate - with both the walnut original and a Hawkeye stock.
I would suspect the RAR will impact Tikka sales.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/01/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....was to produce an American Rifle in 22-250 with an 8" twist, how many of you would want one?

Darrik,

Any update on this splendid idea?

My grandson is almost 3 mos. old and has had his TN Lifetime Sportsman's License for more than a month. Need to have his 1st big game rifle ready to go by Juvie Hunt in 2014. grin

Thank you,

P.S. A compact stock and threaded barrel would still be a blessing.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Remember the ads Leupold put out in the early 90's or thereabouts of hardcore deeds done with their scopes? IIRC one was a tale from an Alaska guide of losing his rifle in the surf for a year; when found the rifle was rusted beyond recovery (Pre 64, I believe), but the scope was still good? Anyway, Ruger could market the Hawkeye in just such a way. Make people think "The toughest dudes on the planet hunt with a Hawkeye, so I want one".

Guys been using them for tomato stakes and anchors for years...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uhhhh. Just looked at my post just above and saw I wrote 2014 rather than 2020 for some dang reason. Mason will be five that year...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Haven't messed with a RAR trigger yet, but until the stock and magazine get some fit and finish that don't make the whole thing look and feel like it should have cost $69.97 at Harbor Freight, I'm out.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.