-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You would be retired now, or close to it and had you spent at least three years in the higher pay grade, say GS-14 or 15 (or FV, etc), you would be doing very well, even as a FERS versus Civil Service employee.

It's not the destination...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure 250K would put a fellow smack dab in middle class in AK

hope we make it!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Natural gas about $1300 per year ….

What's natural gas and where can we find some? Is this some kind of special fuel for only special people or can anyone use it? grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's 'zip code' fuel!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear a lot about zip code privilege on here. Hmmmm… smile

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

What's natural gas and where can we find some? Is this some kind of special fuel for only special people or can anyone use it? grin

In my area of Alaska there seem to be hard tubes that grow out of the ground next to many dwellings. Those tubes seem to produce a sulphery smelling gas that once correctly harnessed can heat those same dwellings and even be used to cook over.

Your part Alaska doesn't have those hard tubes? Hmm. Must be a local thing.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

In my area of Alaska there seem to be hard tubes that grow out of the ground next to many dwellings. ...

I'll bet you could make a fortune selling seed... smile (I hear tell they'd like to grow those things in Fairbanks. wink )

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like to see them run a natural gas pipeline from Prudhoe down through Fairbanks to a gas liquification plant in Nenena where it could be barged to bush communities then on down to Pt. Mackenzie. That's probably pie in the sky dreaming and I have no idea if would even be financially feasible but it would be an all Alaska pipeline and could have distribution nodes at every community along the way. Might make for cheaper natural gas and some fuel alternatives for the bush and smaller road communities. The excess gas could be marketed. I think Japan would take all we could produce.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder what the owners of that gas think? grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like to see them run a natural gas pipeline from Prudhoe down through Fairbanks to a gas liquification plant in Nenena where it could be barged to bush communities then on down to Pt. Mackenzie. That's probably pie in the sky dreaming and I have no idea if would even be financially feasible but it would be an all Alaska pipeline and could have distribution nodes at every community along the way. Might make for cheaper natural gas and some fuel alternatives for the bush and smaller road communities. The excess gas could be marketed. I think Japan would take all we could produce.

Would sure be a benefit to the state that has the resources.

I wished we'd have tapped to our gas well years ago...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't go making sense like that. People have been deep-sixed for that kind of thinking. (One of the best ideas I've heard in that regard; not sure how practical, but I'd sure like to see it penciled out.)

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I believe the gas line is going to happen. I'd like to see it happen so that the line stayed in Alaska, provided some opportunities for our northern and bush communities to have a fuel option other than diesel, and make the investors/oil companies some money. A gas plant at Nenana and Pt Mackenzie would be a great economic shot in the arm for both areas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We need to save natural resources for the next conquering army

http://theweek.com/speedreads/575230/chinese-warships-spotted-coast-alaska

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Walker would want it to go through Valdez first.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My apologies to the OP. This thread kind of got hijacked.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

I guess I wouldn't have too much heartburn over that as long as the pipeline stayed in Alaska. However, it would make better economic sense the way I proposed it. It would impact more communities and with a gas plant in Pt Mackenzie and Nenana could provide more jobs to locals than going along the existing pipeline route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[color=sarcasm]I don't know though. If people had jobs, then there'd be money. Who wants to trust people with money, especially those in the rather 'outlying' areas? It's much easier to keep 'owning' folks by giving them (other people's) money. [/sarcasm color=off]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And there is the assumption they would actually WANT to work if the jobs where there... at least thats how the leeches down here would work... IE NOT.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

I guess I wouldn't have too much heartburn over that as long as the pipeline stayed in Alaska. However, it would make better economic sense the way I proposed it. It would impact more communities and with a gas plant in Pt Mackenzie and Nenana could provide more jobs to locals than going along the existing pipeline route.

Of course I was being sarcastic.

There has been millions spent in anticipation of the gas plant to go in at Nikiski. Now, Walker is F-ing with that with his Valdez alternate.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 52 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.