Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The politically incorrect (that is, true) story of rez life is well told in Dan Cushman's 1953 book "Stay Away Joe".

IMO, it could have been written in 2015.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driving through one res in eastern Arizona, a few years ago, I actually see a guy in front of me stop, pick up road kill and throw it in the back of his pickup. smile

Scarier was the time I'd stayed late at Monument Valley, getting some pretty cool photos of the Mitten Rocks. I grabbed a bite to eat, then hit the road headed east. And almost hit a guy who was walking heel to toe along the white line of the highway (no street lights, and it was pitch black). He was probably drunk, of course, but I'm sure the rez police would have given me a big hassle if I'd hit him.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a problem on any reservation, myself. Except one time I got caught in a huge blizzard south of Browning and had to pull over and park in a ranch yard.
Family took me in, we had a nice visit for an hour or two until the wind died down enough to see the road. But they were pretty much just like small town people anywhere else, and that's been my impression on every rez I've been to.
There's a big difference between a regular Indian and a "Native American."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
What I find hillarouis, is that there is still a satellite dish in the back yard, there should be a tripod around some place with an old car under it, a pack of tic infested mutts roaming also.

Yeah I grew up next to a souix Rez.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thats priceless!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Of all the $hit hole countries I visited while in the Marines and all the shady places I have been in my civilian life, I never felt more threatened than I did in Browning Montana, in broad daylight. Even Bethel AK wasn't that bad.

We used to play them in football.
If you beat them, they throw beer bottles at your bus.
If they beat you, they throw beer bottles at your bus.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Of all the $hit hole countries I visited while in the Marines and all the shady places I have been in my civilian life, I never felt more threatened than I did in Browning Montana, in broad daylight. Even Bethel AK wasn't that bad.

We used to play them in football.
If you beat them, they throw beer bottles at your bus.
If they beat you, they throw beer bottles at your bus.

Sounds like Green Bay....

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 79S
I grew up the reservation .. Anyhow my wife full blooded Navajo and me 1/4 breed who is white as day stop at the loves truck stop on the crow agency. Head to the bathroom come out grab soda then I notice it them Indian boys staring at me trying to figure what this white boy was doing with one of their indian women... Lol told my we better get out here before they kidnap you lol...

You have to expect open range fence or not on the navajo rez.
I have come through there any number of times where there are fences, and the horses are outside the fence to get at the grass. Not uncommon.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back in the 70's, at the age of 15 I signed up to work my first job with the youth conservation corp in Montana, hoping to wind up in Glacier Park. Instead I ended up in Lame Deer/St Labre Cheyenne/Crow country. Wow what an eye opener. During the 8 weeks I was there, there were three murders, two of the victims were beat to death (alcohol involved). One of the murders was white on white, the other two were native on native. They put some of the local troubled youth on our crews and one of them got beaten black and blue by his buddies ending with a bit of a hospital stay. Made my neighborhood seem like Mayberry. Back then it was "only" alcohol and dope, now with meth, crack etc lord knows what has become of the area.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
From what I hear, and saw back a few years ago, the meskins like to move dope there.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Average life span was supposed to be about 35 when I was there, I doubt it's gotten any better. Sadly it's similar on most reservations I suspect.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Pretty regular thing for some convenience stores in a town north of here to sell cigarettes one at a time. A common sale to two "natives" is two cigarettes and a strawberry soda with two straws...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by okie
Pretty regular thing for some convenience stores in a town north of here to sell cigarettes one at a time. A common sale to two "natives" is two cigarettes and a strawberry soda with two straws...

Don't you know it ain't strawberry soda, it's Rett pop! Sold a million gallons of Red Rattler to indians in SW OK growing up, it was the second favorite behind Milwaukee Beast.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Gets real exciting when it's a black horse at midnight.

Reservations have a lot of open range, and where the range is not open -- the fences aren't that excellent.

That just sounds like rural Montana in general! grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Many years ago I was headed north at night in southwestern Wyoming on a highway across open range. Was driving only 50, due to knowing it was open, but all of a sudden there was a horse walking across the road. Managed to drive toward the ditch and slow down enough that the horse’s jaw hit the windshield right in front of me, and that was all the damage.

Turned out there was another pickup down the road about 200 yards in the opposite lane, both headlights gone from hitting another horse in the herd. He had a spotlight and we looked at the herd, standing 100 yards off the road, and couldn’t pick out the ones we’d hit. They may have been lying out there in the sage, but who knows?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is why I ignore the law when it comes to auxilary headlamps. Candlepower rules -- at least until someone comes up with a FLIR for cars.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
It sure is a good thing the crow nation is dry, would not want to know what could happen if they got booze out there. They have a transport bus that drops off a load of homeless Crow at North Park in Billings, they come into town and blow their paychecks on booze and are stacked up on the sidewalks like cordwood, absolutely destroying the efforts to clean up and revitalize the downtown there. It is bad enough that they are traffic hazards anywhere near 6th Ave North and 27th St.

I go out of my way to stay out of the Crow nation.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Our church recently returned from a mission trip to a reservation in Montana. They were well received and did a lot of good while there. They reported a culture that is ripe with drug abuse and child neglect. Very sad.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Welcome to democrat land=Rez.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Welcome to democrat land=Rez.

But they get free food! smirk

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.