Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about recording this years elk hunt. Ill be going 2nd season rifle in North East Oregon with a bull tag and a friend who has never been hunting in his life. My daughter will be there too, but only for coyote patrol with her new 223.
I am going to try to get my buddy on some elk first....unless I get greedy or get the itch to pull the trigger first. just sayin...
Anyways, what do you guys use out in the field to capture your hunts?
go pro or similar, iPhone/droid attachments, digital camera or actual video camera?
Also, I need some tips on recording and getting the most out the recording. I'd hate to get home and be like What the heck did I do/record.
I don't know how I feel about fish eye if we are rifle hunting or ?
Thanks in Advance.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Every time you blink you take a picture. The album cannot be destroyed unless you get Alzheimers.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really like still photos but not the idea of a video.

Might be illogical, but there it is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Photos and paper and pencil. Of course, I'm old. I can write long-hand, and even do math! smile

Bill

There are many copies.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always thought a written account to look back on, would be the chit.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Some good photos with a camera. I've found it best to hunt or take photos, trying to do both takes away from the other.

I'd prefer to enjoy it and only snap a few photos when I think about it.

Having fun trumps photos/video any day of the week.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad has written a detailed journal for each of the hunts he's come up here for. 16 in all. I thought it was kinda cheesy when he started doing it. But looking back now they are alot of fun to read next to the fireplace when we go down to visit in the winter. Amazing how the memories will spark when you read what you were there to witness.

I snap a few pictures, my wife says too few, and put them in order in an album with a caption under each one. Just a sentence or two but it lights off the memories and gives others who see it an idea of what was going on.

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have pics from previous years with my daughter and it really brings me back.
I'd like to have more detailed experience...such a video of the kill and the what not.
Thanks

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whatever you decide in the end is up to you as far as taking pictures or filming, or writing a journal.
But if you decide to film take a look at the SJ4000 or SJ5000+ action cams.

They were made to be able to use the same accesories as th GoPro for a much lower price (~80-$100). My brother uses them on his race car and is quite pleased. Plenty of reviews and youtube tests to compare to GoPro, and between models.
I have been trying to convince myself not to purchase one smile

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear

As do most Alaskan doper/shut-ins that can't front $2 for paper and pen.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any real help?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
GREAT ...my buddy did this very thing ...all hunt etc since he was 10 (lived in outside Sitka )...took the book! on a moose hunt from hell with me...low water /snow the works/2+ weeks..theirs more/lets end it > ... it got wet frown

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would... go pro it all and edit...we do it at artic man...we just never edit!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look, let me say up front that I've been tempted. However, I've always shied away from recording my hunts. There are a bunch of reasons.

I do record all my turkey hunts-- not video, just audio. I put them out as podcasts every spring. My reason is that listening to live turkeys is the best way to learn how to call to them. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from my listeners. Deployed troops listen to my recordings, because the ambient sound reminds them of home. I've wanted to do a podcast of what the deer rifle opener sounds like, but last year's attempt wasn't so hot. I'll try again this year.

So why don't I want to Go-Pro the whole thing?

Having originally started out in radio and TV, I know what it takes to do it right. A shaky head cam does not make you Curt Gowdy and the American Sportsman. A quality shoot requires quite a bit of effort, and that is all the stuff I want to escape when I go hunt.

Second, hunting is a fairly uninteresting sport to record. It, like fishing, is in the same category with watching paint dry. Even the really exciting stuff is rather boring to watch from the outside. That is why the outdoor shows doll everything up with a heavy metal soundtrack and a lot of goofy fist-bumping.

The real magic is what is going on between the ears of the hunter. No Go-Pro is going to capture that. The important thing for me is getting time shortly after the hunt to collect my thoughts and begin writing them down. It is the feelings and ideas that need to be recorded, not the event itself. A lot of those rough drafts have ended up here on the 24hourcampfire over the years.

I think a good part of the reason we have so much anti-hunting sentiment is that folks look at the inane stuff coming out of cable hunting shows and the moronic stuff on Youtube and they mistake that for the reality of hunting.

I used to know an older fellow that had gone to war zones and disasters and elsewhere and shot freelance. I asked him how he could shoot stuff like that. He said that as he kept doing it, he eventually grew mental calluses, but as long as it was in the viewfinder, it did not faze him, and that he often threw the camera up and shot, because he could not face it otherwise. I think that, right there, is the best reason not to record your hunt. Hunting is not something you want to objectify.

He was right. A few years ago, there was an auto accident at a Memorial Day parade. Angus was there, marching with his bagpipe band. An old vet plowed into the back end of the crowd. I think he'd had a seizure. Me, being the old fire horse and being the band photographer flew into action and waded in with my trusty camera. I walked out with quite a few good shots, and I managed to scoop all the local TV news, who were just pulling up their vans as the tow truck was leaving. I sold a shot of the guy piled up inside the turtled vehicle to the Cincinnati Enquirer for $75. There I was, up to my eyeballs in it, and it was no different to me than shooting the parade. I don't want hunting to be that way.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use up to 2 Nikon didgital cameras of the same make

16 mpix and 1080 p

Over 2k of pictures and an hour of video from Africa last year alone

I captured an elk chase on video from 650 yards last year because I had my camera in my pack and quickly attached it to my spotters tripod

I look through the thousands of pictures I've taken at camp and hunting alike and have no regrets of taking pictures

I also keep a daily field journal and many of my family has enjoyed reading about my hunts

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great post, shaman.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having run this whole idea down, let me do a complete about face, and give some constructive advice.

First off, the thing that kills most attempts at recording hunting video is an unstable hold. Whatever you do, make sure the camera is steady. Handheld and headcam shots suck. Get a tripod and get a designated cameraman and do it right. Starting out, forget zooms, pans, trucks, racks, and cranes-- do it with static shots.

That means practice. Make sure you and your cameraman practice and practice a lot. Start off easy with projects like "A Day at the Range" "A Day Hike in the Woods" , etc.
When I got into the biz, I had a prof tell us to go out and burn 1 roll of film and come back to class with a story. We had 24 frames to get it done. I did mine with a pocket 110 just like Kolchak, the Night Stalker. I got sent to the head of the class, because my 24 frames told a funny story about trying to get a parking spot in the campus lot. I had the class rolling on the ground laughing. You and your cameraman need to be able to do the same thing: tell a story.

Also: make it a real story. So much of the dreck on cable is dreck, because it is contrived. It's all about competition where there is none and hoopla where it isn't. Don't shoot a bunch of footage and hope there is a story there when you get home. Have a story in mind before you step out the door.

Invest in a Digital Audio Recorder. You can get one for under $100. Use it to mike the subject. The mikes on video cameras usually suck, and won't pick up sound at a distance. Alternatively, used the DAR to pick up ambient sound away from the camera so you don't just hear the cameraman breathing.

Hunting is damn hard to shoot right. The hunter has to take the shot when he can, but the cameraman may have a leaf in the way. The biggest problem I see is perspective. 75 yards is a LONG freakin' way in videoland. In order to get the animal to show up, you're zoomed all the way in. Now you've lost the perspective. If you stay on the hunter, the hunter looks like he's shooting a flea. Alternatively, you put the camera waaay back and zoom so you see the animal over the hunter's shoulder. The problem is you've now committed to a very narrow window of where the shot can take place.

I used to watch hunting shows with my dog, Barney. Barney loved hunting shows. It was high drama for him. It was kaack for me. One thing I noticed: so much of the actual hunting footage was contrived in one way or the other. It was filled with cutaways that were obviously shot before or after. It had ridiculously long holds to heighten the tension. The truth is usually pretty banal: animal walks out. Bam! Dead animal.

I'm going to make an analogy here that may or may not sit well. Hunting is like going to the bathroom. There is damn little that ever happens after the door closes that anyone really wants to watch. Everything that is important is happening on the inside. The harder you try to make it meaningful for the observer, the worse it gets.

EDIT: Sorry. I got pulled away. Where was I? Oh, yeah. You're challenge is to take something that mundane and make it work-- put someone there without making it banal.

One other tip, and then I'll let it go: those podcasts I do during Turkey Season are a great way to make a record of a hunt without having it get in the way. Yes, it is audio only, but that allows the listener to open his mind to what's happening, rather than concentrating on the bad, shaky video.

Last edited by shaman; 09/02/15.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've always thought that recording a hunt was akin to recording one nailing their wife. Just weird.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't get putting a hunt on video.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.