Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh so very true, doesn't make it right...been opposed to baiting 4 years, G&F don't care...just cater to public opinion.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
^^^ WTH ????? Oh well I will be sitting in a treestand looking at a baitpile 7 days from tomorrow grin

Last edited by kinser; 08/24/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Hunted a lifetime, don't bait, don't shoot from vehicles, don't shoot at ridiculous ranges, walk my ass off to get to my game, and I'm probably older than most.

Everyone should be like you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
If you can stalk and kill a bear in Minnesota I will kiss a fat lady on the ass on main street at high noon with an hour to draw a crowd.
I just talked to a Wisconsin corn farmer who says bears are in the corn right now. (At night)
He has never seen a bear. Good luck stalking those. Wisconsin runs them with dogs.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
^^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself !!!! This will be my 7th year bear hunting in Minnesota and I've never heard of anyone stalking one there.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by whelennut
If you can stalk and kill a bear in Minnesota I will kiss a fat lady on the ass on main street at high noon with an hour to draw a crowd.
I just talked to a Wisconsin corn farmer who says bears are in the corn right now. (At night)
He has never seen a bear. Good luck stalking those. Wisconsin runs them with dogs.

You will never have to kiss that fat ass. As to the poster that wants to know what is up with the baiting? Again, you will never see a bear in those woods in shooting hours. In 26 yrs of having a place in Price Co. Wis. none of us saw a bear in the woods ever unless we were baiting for bear. Them bear up in these parts go into tag elder swamps in the day. They lay in the water to cool off too. It is so thick in those swamps I have feared I would drown in them. You can't walk , you will sink 3' in the mud. Only way to get across them is to jump from one bog to the next most of the time. You will be soaked with mud to your chest and you will never sneak up on a bear like that. I have kicked them up though and it is astonishing how fast those bear run through that stuff. I think they half swim, half run . A blast of splashing water is all you will hear. This is why we hunt them over bait just outside these swamps, hoping they will come out before dark. "" Folks"" also run them with dogs I am not sure them "" folks "" are fully human though. They are a different breed of human that would make a city slicker stare in disbelief what they do to chase a bear. . As soon as they hear those bear dogs howl, those bear runners turn into part animal ,,, or something. As for me, I bait and love the solitude.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ok,

1. I'm not a nosy ****er.
2. I'm not a douche.
3. Again, in what part of fair chase does baiting have a role?
4. Hunted a lifetime, don't bait, don't shoot from vehicles, don't shoot at ridiculous ranges, walk my ass off to get to my game, and I'm probably older than most.
5. Society (esp. those that vote) will only tolerate a limited degree of ineptness/technology vs game animals, we better watch our behavior.

How many bears have you killed?

What cover/terrain?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are more than welcome to hunt bears here without bait anytime you wish. You might want to purchase a license and give it a try. Plenty of public land. In fact some of the best bear country is on public land. It won't take you too many unsuccessful seasons to figure out why baiting is legal here......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are probably so ethical, you won't hunt where elk and deer eat their food. I can see why you walk your ass off. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by watch4bear
You are probably so ethical, you won't hunt where elk and deer eat their food. I can see why you walk your ass off. grin
Now that is funny !!!!!

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I don't hunt where they sh**. I think it's unethical to shoot them where they sh**. But when I see them sh**ing, I do insist that they burn their toilet paper.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Serious question.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Ok,

1. I'm not a nosy ****er.
2. I'm not a douche.
3. Again, in what part of fair chase does baiting have a role?
4. Hunted a lifetime, don't bait, don't shoot from vehicles, don't shoot at ridiculous ranges, walk my ass off to get to my game, and I'm probably older than most.
5. Society (esp. those that vote) will only tolerate a limited degree of ineptness/technology vs game animals, we better watch our behavior.

How many bears have you killed?

What cover/terrain?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't do it here. Surprised they don't arrest us for PB on a mouse trap.

1Minute
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Guys, look a the number of times this guy has posted... Sometimes all of us get a burr under our saddle for some reason, but his handle "dismal", and the attitude tell me what he is all about..
Bear baiting is legal and ethical method of hunting.. Don't sweat that.. I have seen a number of bears here in Wy. The country is different, than Mn., Wis., and Mich. but baiting is the best method of hunting here also.. I have seen only a couple in open season in the fall.. And none in the spring, without baits..
Enjoy you sport, and have fun.. It is on my bucket list for someday...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Ihookem,
Great post!
I would like to tag along on a hound hunt sometime. Sounds like way to much fun.
I bought a gallon of Liquid Smoke and baited today. I like to take a survey of advice from other hunters. Since the corn is in the milk stage that is where the bears are. In the spring they are starving and will go places where they normally wouldn't. We don't have a Spring season.
I want to hunt on my land but may not see one since they are nocturnal for the most part.
whelennut

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Whelennut, you can go along with hound hunters if you want. Many are glad to have people come along. Ask a few guides that run bear before season and I bet at least a few will let you . They might ask for a steak dinner at the end of the day though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whelennut

No chit!!

Hell I'll take vacation for a week this fall and TAKE him to the woods every day.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kinser
^^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself !!!! This will be my 7th year bear hunting in Minnesota and I've never heard of anyone stalking one there.

I'm 62 years old and have done a lot of bear hunting, harvesting plenty along the way. I've also put in many hours hunting for non-baited bears in Minnesota, spotting a couple in berry patches. Never stalked or killed one that way though. I've called in a few, and killed two that way. If you don't want to bait, try predator-calling tactics. But call from a tree or back-to-back with a friend. They're quiet. Baiting works the best. The only other close encounters I've had with non-baited bears in the woods were when I wasn't hunting them.

I shot one in the face last week with a rubber bullet out ' the 12 gauge. The prick wouldn't leave my garden alone. It was fun, at about 5 ft. He got one in the face and one in the ass, as he turned around. As he ran away, I said aloud: "AND STAY OUT!" Not sure why I said it. Didn't have to butcher him or eat him or anything; just counted coup! smile
Ain't seen him since.

Bill

There are many copies.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I may beg a neighbor to let me hunt his cornfield.
They are not hitting my bait at all.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Today was first day of the hunting season and bears are already being harvested.
Very exciting news!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.