Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by EdM
I am guessing that the majority of buyers will be hunting from a stand where weight matters not.

No stand hunting for me, most likely walking in the Black Hills or driving the prairies of Wyoming! Might be able to use it a bit for a coyote or two!

I suspect you are not in the majority

All "stands" are 50 yards from the truck. If the rifle was a pound lighter, a fella could hike in further.

That's some funny schit.....

BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So, have any been to the range yet? And if so what are the first impressions? Mines at my FFL and am to damn busy to get there for a bit yet.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah but only fired four shot before being called away. May try to squeeze a few more off around lunch today.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When are the LH versions coming in? I have my Talley Lightweight Extra Lows and a 3-9x40 Conquest waiting to be mounted.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I should have ordered one of these. If someone decides they don't want their right handed MRC 260 special, let me know.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured this thread would be full of load data and cloverleaf targets by now...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Mine is still sitting at my FFl while he is out oftown

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was waiting for cooler weather, but I couldn't wait any longer. Overall I think the MRC is showing real potential.

Range conditions were far from ideal with temperature around 85F and an angling crosswind from the south at 15-20 mph.

The load I used was developed for a Kimber and it consists of 47.5 grs RL19 under a 120gr Nosler BT giving an average of 2914 fps out of the Kimber.

The other shots seen in the pic are from sight-in. The three shot group was fired one after the other with no cooling off in between. The third shot went a bit high and right and was most likely due to heat, wind and the half blind old shooter. The barrel was quite warm after the third shot.

With cooler temps I think it will do just fine.

[Linked Image]

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Picked my rifle up today from my FFL. Awesome looking rig. I will mount my scope tonight and try to hit the range tomorrow evening. If I can get it dialed in, it just might get to shoot a Mountain Goat this weekend.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I got an e-mail from Eric, my lefty is being shipped today.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've started load development, has anyone else. I haven't found one worth posting yet but I'm only 30 rounds in and it's been really windy here. One 140 amax load was sub moa everything has been sub 2 moa. I've only tried one powder and charge weight so far with a few different 140's and 142's. Copper fouling has dropped way off after a few cleanings. I think it's got potential and I'll try different charges next time out and then maybe play with seating depths more. I started with h4350 which my other 260 likes but a half grain change in charge weight with the other one can mean a 2 moa drops to 1/2 moa.

Rifle seems well put together and it feeds well. I also love the extra mag box space. It's cool to be able to kiss the lands with a 140 vld and feed from a short action. If I could get the wind to drop to where it's at least not blowing my cleaning solution bottle off the bench I'll see what this thing can do.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the XWR in 1:9" and posted several loads in the 260 load thread in reloading data.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9794132/12

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Brand new EGW 0 MOA rail for the MRC rifle. $30 shipped.
Thanks, Jim

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I've tried two different loads now and can see this isn't going to be a simple plug and play. Something is causing weird fliers, but I can see the potential is there.
Haven't really gotten very happy with this yet.

Also damndest thing... when I switched from 120 NBTs to 142 LRAB, the POI was about 8 inches lower on the LRAB at 100.

Would not have expected such a drastic difference.

5 shot 142 LRAB
[U[Linked Image]

Probably would have been happy with this 20 years ago, 120 NBT

[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got mine in but haven't shot it. Looks feels and balances great and iis couple ounces below 7 pounds. I am going to start with 130 Accubonds and H4350.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Ok, against my better judgement I went thru about 1/2 of the break-in procedure that MRC recommended. I have never done this before to any great degree, I have cleaned barrels on new guns a little more frequently thru the first 40 or 50 rounds though.

So anyway I wasted 30 rounds yesterday and spent 6 hours on the range, I may continue the last 20 round procedure at my next range session. I did not have any brass to reload rounds so I purchased some Fed Premium 140 gr Gamekings for the break-in and to get some brass. The first ten rounds (cleaning every round) went into about a 4" group, which I thought was fairly good a clean bore new barrel. When I started shooting the 5 round procedure I shot 2 rounds to foul the barrel and 3 for group. To my suppress the 3 shot groups were around 1" with some a little over and a couple a little under. I did let the barrel cool approximately 5 minutes between the 3 rounds.

If I can shoot 1.25" groups with a factory load with less than 30 rounds thru the barrel I think the gun will be a great shooter whens loads are worked up for the gun.

Now I am not endorsing the break-in procedure, I just elected to do it to see what the rifle would do and to get some brass to work with. I could have shot just as good or better by just firing rounds with a little time for barrel cooling.

Note, at 64 years old I don't have the best eyes in the world.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was't expecting to see reports on "load development" and "barrel break-in"..... I thought we'd have a dozen 3/4" groups and some dead critters by now.

I did the fire 37 shots then clean method of break-in on my most recent new rifle acquisition.... meaning, I took it outta the box, wiped it down, and shot it 37 times. By the time those 37 shots had been fired, there were a couple groups in the 1/2"-3/4" range.... first round hits made from 200 yards to a 1/2 mile.... and about 25 horribly nuked prairie dog carcasses. I did clean it when I got home.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some 6.5 stuff in the classifieds if anyone is looking...

130 NABs, 120 TTSX, 108 Scenars

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Ok, against my better judgement I went thru about 1/2 of the break-in procedure that MRC recommended. I have never done this before to any great degree, I have cleaned barrels on new guns a little more frequently thru the first 40 or 50 rounds though.

So anyway I wasted 30 rounds yesterday and spent 6 hours on the range, I may continue the last 20 round procedure at my next range session. I did not have any brass to reload rounds so I purchased some Fed Premium 140 gr Gamekings for the break-in and to get some brass. The first ten rounds (cleaning every round) went into about a 4" group, which I thought was fairly good a clean bore new barrel. When I started shooting the 5 round procedure I shot 2 rounds to foul the barrel and 3 for group. To my suppress the 3 shot groups were around 1" with some a little over and a couple a little under. I did let the barrel cool approximately 5 minutes between the 3 rounds.

If I can shoot 1.25" groups with a factory load with less than 30 rounds thru the barrel I think the gun will be a great shooter whens loads are worked up for the gun.

Now I am not endorsing the break-in procedure, I just elected to do it to see what the rifle would do and to get some brass to work with. I could have shot just as good or better by just firing rounds with a little time for barrel cooling.

Note, at 64 years old I don't have the best eyes in the world.

I have learned to not trust a rifle's accuracy until I have 100 rounds and 4-6 cleanings through the barrel. In fact, I think most barrel's accuracy improves until it hits about 100 rounds. My anecdotal not scientific experience suggests that the shoot one and clean break in method speeds this process up with many rifles shooting well at 10-20 rounds. It is tedious, though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RatFink
Picked my rifle up today from my FFL. Awesome looking rig. I will mount my scope tonight and try to hit the range tomorrow evening. If I can get it dialed in, it just might get to shoot a Mountain Goat this weekend.

RF, Any range or hunting reports yet?

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.