Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Took the next 6 days off because I had so much vacation time built up. Been looking around at a lot of 10/22 options for the last month or so. Really like wood stocks, but still hate it when they get beat up from getting a lot of use. Did some serious digging on Ruger 10/22's, but finally realized stock options were quite limited if you wanted a threaded barrel.

So, said screw it and decided to build exactly what I want from the ground up. Went with all Kidd hardware and a Hogue Overmolded stock in what they call "High Terrain Camo" color that will handle the .920" match barrel. I've got a real nice silver Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 just sitting that's never been mounted, 2 sets of different size silver Tally rings in original packages, and a made to order Harris 6-9" bipod still in the bag.

This pic is only to show what stock looks like, not the hardware I've purchased.
[Linked Image]

18-2 KIDD Aftermarket Barreled Action Classic Slip-Fit with Build Options
RECEIVER COLOR: Silver (Expect 2 week delay)
BARREL OPTION: 18" Match .920 Bead Blast
MUZZLE THREADING OPTION: muzzle threading & cap (1/2"-28) on stainless steel .920 bull - 50.00
TRIGGER UNIT OPTION: single stage silver - 199.95
MAGAZINE RELEASE LEVER: extended (medium)
BOLT COLOR & FINISH: silver matte - 99.95
BOLT HANDLE ASSEMBLY OPTION: Silver with Black Viton - 29.95
805.85 1 805.85
Subtotal: 805.85
Discount(s): 0.00
Taxes:
Shipping:
TOTAL: 814.85

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/02/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Local_dirt: Thats a great looking stock there - sounds like you are going to have an especially nifty Rifle when you get it all together.
Be sure to let us know how it shoots when you get it to the range.
Enjoy your vacation time - doing what you want to do!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a hogue stock on my 10/22 and love it. That should be a heck of a gun when you are done. Have fun with it. Make sure you post some pictures.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, fellas. Will definitely post some pics and range stats when I get it built. Chomping at the bit already.

Gonna be about 2 weeks before I can expect to receive everything.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll love it. I did the Kidd barreled action thing with their tapered barrel and a hogue stock. Single stage trigger. Wish I went two stage. Regardless it's a value for sure. I was a super big cz fan boy till I got this.

Last edited by woodson; 09/02/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that Hogue stock pillared bedded? That set up should be a very accurate shooter. As already mentioned, please keep us posted with results once it all gets put together.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
10-22 and tack driver are not in the same sentence

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you shot any lately? I shot a stock Ruger 10/22 with a $100 Nikon rimfire scope Monday and it was dotting eyes on dimes at 50.
Just sayin.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woodson
You'll love it. I did the Kidd barreled action thing with their tapered barrel and a hogue stock. Single stage trigger. Wish I went two stage. Regardless it's a value for sure. I was a super big cz fan boy till I got this.

woodson, thanks. I went with the single stage trigger based on a lot of research on it and the fact it was around $100 less. Couldn't find one single person poo-poo'ing the single stage, and after a long conversation with their customer service dept decided to go that route.

Pretty much everything is on sale at Kidd right now, like a lot of armorers around the country during the summer. I had priced out a package a few months ago and it was up around $1100. With the Kidd setup and the Hogue, I'm right at $900 out the door, no tax.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/02/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Idholton: Many years ago I bought a heavy stainless Lilja barrel that Dan Lilja had match chambered.
I attached it to a Deluxe Ruger 10/22 with the standard factory method and had some trigger work and a barrel channel re-sizing done.
I still remember the price for that Lilja barrel from 25 years (or so) ago - $260.00 which was way more than I paid for the then new Ruger Deluxe 10/22!
Accuracy was (and is!) pretty good with this rig - even after way more than 100,000 rounds have gone down that tube!
I now have a 6x24 power variable scope on it and I can often hit the head of a Ground Squirrel out at 100 yards or so (especially in no wind conditions).
I kind of have to disagree with your contention (that 10/22 and tack driver are not in the same sentence) at least as far as this - if someone wants to start out a 10/22 on the road to accuracy then most likely that accuracy in that platform will be intended for small game and Varmint Hunting!
If said 22 Long Rifleman wants to compete in rimfire bench rest competitions then more than likely that shooter would start out with a bolt action, single shot of top quality manufacture, already.
Yep my Remington 40X 22 L.R. is slightly more accurate but its a single shot and cost WAY more than even my semi-customized Ruger 10/22!
As was my Kimber 82-G and maybe even my Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette).
I have shot along side some of those BR type 22 L.R.'s out in the Ground Squirrel Colonies and what small measure of accuracy I give up to them with my 10/22's I more than make up for in rapid fire without loosing sight picture while the actions are worked/working!
My Lilja barreled 10/22 shoots rather well... AND... it shoots rapidly - and I now have a bevy of 10, 15, 25 and 50 round magazines for it!
Rapid fire is the baliwick of the Ruger 10/22 and over the decades I have seen some very accurate 10/22's come down the pike (rapid firing as they came!).
So I somewhat disagree with your blanket statement.
Long live the Ruger 10/22!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodson
I was a super big cz fan boy till I got this.

Really??? Never noticed laugh

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Have you shot any lately? I shot a stock Ruger 10/22 with a $100 Nikon rimfire scope Monday and it was dotting eyes on dimes at 50.
Just sayin.
grin If I was to play with 10 22 again I would for sure full lenght bed the barrel and float the action wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
10-22 and tack driver are not in the same sentence

Move to Texas. They got bigger tacks.

I use small tacks here in Floriduh. That's 5 shots BTW.

[Linked Image]

10/22 Deluxe of 1970s vintage, only thing done to it was bedding and a Power Custom trigger mod.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, that's funny.

woodson, you'll be pleased to know that I got on the horn first thing this a.m. and had Shaylee swap out the single stage for a 2 stage, red trigger. smile
Had them leave it set at 2.5 lbs. I'll probably adjust it down to 2 lbs. Possibly further, if I feel the need.

They are proud of those 2 stage triggers!

BTW, and FYI for anybody purchasing from Kidd. They do their shipments on Thursdays. My package was already packed and waiting for the happy truck. So much for a 2 week delay! smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/03/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 10/22 is no benchrest, but it shoots nice groups at 50 yrds that most folks would refer to as a tack driver.
it is not stock though.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They definitely are capable of that!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll really be pleased with the two stage. It really is a gem.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
woodson, I'm guessing it's a really fine trigger. They sure think highly of them. smile

It's only money. Can't take it with you. And since I decided not to travel this week, I've got a few bucks to spend on my kind of bling. smile

Gotta hit the beach now for a nice shrimp Caesar and check out the eye candy. After that, LGS's. Busy, Busy.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What glass you putting on it? I went cheap and put a Nikon 4-12 with mildots on it. Works just fine but I do wish I had chosen a model with an adjustable objective.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
woodson, good question. I'm kinda torn on that one. I've got a brandy new silver VX3 3.5-10x40 I bought for another project that's really too big for that gun that I'm seriously considering, but I also have a Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 AO that is also NIB I bought a couple years ago from nice older guy in VA that was scaling down who had a ton of nice chit, and I do mean a ton. Had 3 safes packed to the gills in his basement. Couldn't afford to spend the kind of coin a lot of his stuff would bring, but all of it was the schizzle, and several more at another house. The kind of stuff we gun loonies here drool over. A friend and I bought about 8-10 scopes from him, all pristine.

Here are the 2 scopes. I'm sure either one will dot a squirrel's eye with the setup I've got coming.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.