Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For what it is worth I have called and talked to the guys at Clark Custom and they recommended bedding the barrel and floating the action too. With only one action screw on the factory Ruger receiver it tends to rock, which bedding the barrel helps. Not sure how this plays out if you add one of the Kidd rear action screws, but I plan to find out.

wish we would have just went with a full Kidd barreled action, but I always have to learn the hard way!

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I bed the receiver so it's super solid. Not sure how a rear action screw works, haven't seen one.

I have the lug resting in glass as it pulls downward on the action/barrel junction. Not sure if that helps, just seems to me it should dampen vibrations and stop any lateral movement.

A tight barrel/action fit is good. I had to slowly cut the Clark/Walther barrel shank to snugly fit in the action. A tight fit cuts down on slop and has to have a positive effect on vibrations.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/15/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This is a full Kidd barreled action.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I bed the receiver lug at the rear of the action, so it's super solid. Not sure how a rear action screw works, haven't seen one.

I have the lug resting in glass as it pulls downward on the action/barrel junction. Not sure if that helps, just seems to me it should dampen vibrations and stop any lateral movement.

A tight barrel/action fit is good. I had to slowly cut the Clark/Walther barrel shank to snugly fit in the action. A tight fit cuts down on slop and has to have a positive effect on vibrations.

DF

how about posting a couple pictures of the bedding area? i know i would really appreciate it, as i have yet to bed mine.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'll try to get those photos posted this PM.

I'd like to see photos of that Kidd action and how the rear action screw works.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I edited to delete "receiver lug". That was an error. I bed the receiver so it, like the barrel, rests on glass as downward tension is applied by the lug/"V" block screw.

I'll get those bedding photos posted tonight.

I try to eliminate all the motion I can while keeping tension on the barrel/receiver hook up.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
woodson, good question. I'm kinda torn on that one. I've got a brandy new silver VX3 3.5-10x40 I bought for another project that's really too big for that gun that I'm seriously considering, but I also have a Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 AO that is also NIB I bought a couple years ago from nice older guy in VA that was scaling down who had a ton of nice chit, and I do mean a ton. Had 3 safes packed to the gills in his basement. Couldn't afford to spend the kind of coin a lot of his stuff would bring, but all of it was the schizzle, and several more at another house. The kind of stuff we gun loonies here drool over. A friend and I bought about 8-10 scopes from him, all pristine.

Here are the 2 scopes. I'm sure either one will dot a squirrel's eye with the setup I've got coming.

Nice plan on the 10-22. I hope you have better luck with the elite 6-24 than I did with an elite 10x tactical I had on my 10-22. I simply couldn't get it to focus at 25 yds and marginally at 50 yds. and also had an issue with paralax. With a center fire I could live with a scope that is a little fuzzy at closer range, but not so on a 22 rf. I put a leupold 3.5-10 on it and that cured the focus issue.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, 458. I may just go with the Leupold VX3 3.5-10 anyway. I'll have to check viz with both scopes once I get the gun back.

One reason I may go with the Leupold 3.5-10 is I want to be able to carry it in the woods. The Bushnell 6-24x40 AO is a big scope and probably great for a benchrest gun or a bigger center fire, but maybe not so great on a light as a feather carry 10/22.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/15/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR pictured above. It's a great .22 scope. I can adjust parallax any way I want, can shoot on my 50' indoor range with no problem.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are the bedding photos I promised.

I bedded the rear of the receiver and the forward barrel channel as shown. I then came back and bedded the V block with mild downward pressure. Once it's all dry, I can snug the action screw which I feel dampens vibrations, stiffens the barreled action and eliminates movement from recoil.

Be sure the safety is in neutral position so it won't dig into the wood as the barreled action is removed from the stock.

Not my prettiest bedding job, but it seems to work.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dirt farmer did you apply the forearm bedding after you bedded the action ?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Two phase bedding.

First phase, bed the rear of the action and the forward barrel channel as shown. Don't tighten the action screw very much.

Second phase, glass the sides of the action and under the V block. Tighten the action screw, putting tension (not a lot) on the barreled action.

I'm not sure how others do it, this method seemed to work for me.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Once dry, you can snug the action screw down pretty tight, securing the V block.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have a different approach or thought process about bedding but again i was dealing with a bolt action. i bedded and installed pillars in my M77/22 and bedded the first 1 1/2" under the barrel but i wanted a stress free set up. if i needed upward barrel pressure at the forearm then i would add it back in later. i ended up not putting it back in as the free floated barrel shot well. after drilling out the action screw holes i installed the pillars to the action with the action screws and some tape wrapped around the screws to keep them centered in the pillars. tightened the screws good and tight and made sure plenty or release was on the end of the pillar that was up against the action. plenty of release on the action as well. then set the whole assembly into the bedding goo and strap in to hold until set. after setting then i undid the action screws and pulled the action out of the stock. now when i reassemble the action to the stock i have a stress free set up. it's the only way to get a repeatable bolt up. If any pressure pad is need then it is applied afterwards. i was thinking along the same lines for my 10/22. i have the barrel free floated now and it's shooting pretty good. i have the GM sporter barrel on it not a bull barrel so barrel droop has not been an issue for me yet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree with that approach for a bolt gun.

The way the 10-22 is put together with the V block, this way seems best. I do pillar and float bolt guns, but those barrels are screwed tightly into the receiver.

Some custom makers do the 10-22 that way, but with the factory V block set up, I don't think bedding the action and floating the barrel will work as well as this set up.

I've heard about the Kidd with a rear action screw, haven't seen it, even looking at their web site. With front and rear action screws maybe bedding it like a bolt gun would work OK.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Agree with that approach for a bolt gun.

The way the 10-22 is put together with the V block, this way seems best. I do pillar and float bolt guns, but those barrels are screwed tightly into the receiver.

Some custom makers do the 10-22 that way, but with the factory V block set up, I don't think bedding the action and floating the barrel will work as well as this set up.

I've heard about the Kidd with a rear action screw, haven't seen it, even looking at their web site. With front and rear action screws maybe bedding it like a bolt gun would work OK.

DF

My M77/22 is the same slip fit setup as the 10/22.
one other option if the barrel fit is a tad loose to the action is to loct-tight it into the action. or use the aftermarket V-Block with the barrel tension screw.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LD,

You gotta this fugkin' thing put together yet?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
LD,

Travis

No chit??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
LD,

Travis

Been at the gunnie's since end of last week. Chompin' at the bit, but trying to keep from bugging him.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good call actually.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.