Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Fire Folks;
Somehow it's been a particularly bad year for bears this year in BC and Alberta - and unless I miss my guess our friends in the states just across the medicine line might be in the same boat.

Here's a link to the attack.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-attack-near-cranbrook/article26198720/

Anyway folks, keep an extra sharp eye out this fall when you're afield if you're in our AO.

All the best luck to you all in your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, bad berry crop down here in MT. Usually means more confrontations as the critters range further looking for food that isn't there.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was another one earlier in the week on the AB side of the Rockies too. Bear knocked a guy off a quad faster than he could draw his spray and started chewing on him. Buddy grabbed the spray and got the bear off. Air lifted to Calgary as well.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bears should be outlawed.

LOL
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Greetings, Dwayne, from near the southernmost point in all of Canada.

In reading the article, not that it's unusual, but couldn't help but notice the mixed messages. From the B.C. conservation officer:

“We do not feel that these bears are a public safety threat.”

From the city:

the City of Cranbrook issued a statement warning the public to be cautious while using a pathway near a rail trail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
sse;
Good evening to you as well sir, I trust this finds you and yours well.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that there's a whole lot of mixed messages when it comes to bears in this province.

On one hand the CO service has to deal with the problem bears - and this year it'd be more than a full time job for them.

At the same time they're employees of the province which desperately needs tourist traffic and it'd be a foggy Friday before they go on record that we've got even a whiff of a bear problem.

There was a time where one branch of the provincial government dealing with workplace safety - WorkSafeBC - wouldn't let you work certain jobs unless you had bear safety training - and yes you guessed it, at the same time the branch that's involved in tourism was mute on the subject.

Then there's the entire sticky wicket of us allowing ANY bear hunting at all because you know we're all green and at one with the cosmos and the bears and such. wink I'll add that this is the situation sometimes portrayed to the rest of the world about us here in BC. laugh

Finally the city of Cranbrook, who only have the locals to answer to and although they don't want to stem any tourist traffic, neither do they need more folks chewed upon within or near their very beautiful city.

As usual somewhere in the middle, buried deep in layers of bureaucratic quagmire would be the truth and the bears - who are just trying to make a living in a dry, berry barren year.

We're really dry up top here too this fall, no knnikinnick to speak of, few raspberries and low salmon runs in the rivers.

Again I'll say if anyone is hunting the southern half of BC this fall please do keep your eyes open and be extra wary.

Hopefully that made some sense to you sir and all the best to you on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/13/15. Reason: added info

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
^^^^ Sounds like the JAWS movie, don't close those beaches. There is no shortage of any kind of bear in BC. Was out getting fire wood last week only saw 5 bears in the time to get a pick load of wood.
BC varmint rifle starts at 30-06 smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
Thanks for posting the link to this latest incident sir and hopefully all things are well in your world on the Island.

On a BC forum one of the members lives across the river from where this happened and he's been reporting the bears are investigating everything this fall as he feels they're really hungry.

Again we'll keep an extra sharp eye out this fall out here and hopefully this will be the last one this year.

Thanks again sir, all the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is, SSS will be used more than usual this fall

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bellydeep

why not just fill a bear tag?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by bellydeep

why not just fill a bear tag?

toad;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day treats you well and the week has been a good one for you so far.

Up here - as far as I'm aware and I could be very wrong about this - but I don't believe there are any over the counter grizzly tags anymore. It's all LEH and has been for a few years at least?

We can buy over the counter black bear tags and where we are - 8-10 valleys and 10 hours drive west of the areas involved - we are allowed two black bears in each season year.

That taken into account, in the two defense shootings of grizzly bears I'm familiar with locally, the Conservation Officers were very reasonable in dealing with the folks who ended up shooting a grizzly.

I'm not saying that would always be the case, but I'd have to think that over in the Kootenays the CO's would know all about the bear issues and take that into account.

Have a good week and good hunting this fall.

Dwayne

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, LEH only, and one bear every five years.

Hey is Tickleberry back up and running?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Partsman;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust that this finds you and yours well.

Yes sir they never missed a beat as far as I'm aware, though they are on fall hours now which is 10:00-5:00.

All the best to you all this fall and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bears are just part of the fun.

A co-worker was bowhunting for elk in CO from a treestand when a black bear cub climbed a tree next to his. When it reached his level and spotted him, it let out a squall and Mama came and began to climb my buddy's tree. He managed to talk her down, but thereafter he carried a compact .40, legal or not, whenever he hunted out there. Great story, happy ending for everybody.

We can carry concealed while hunting here and I change out the usual +P holler points in my snubbie for hard cast. Not exactly bear medicine, but at least they should get inside a bit.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/19/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Four Grizzly attacks in two weeks here in BC, probably more to come.

I take this seriousl and carry my Benelli Nova 14inch, collapsible stock gun with Brennekes when in the bush.

Just returned from a few days solo in the Kootenays and will be there often until Christmas, camping alone in my Hilleberg and keeping the Benelli handy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
SNAP:
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well and it's good to read you've been out and about in the hills.

I wasn't initially sure if I was more envious of your shotgun or it's contents, but upon brief reflection I do believe it's the fact you've got some of the few Brenneke's that have made it up here.

After a fair bit of research and trying a few different types of slugs I've converted from the usual Foster as loaded by Federal/Winchester to the Gualandi type slug loaded by Challenger in Quebec.

They hit where I'm looking with the Day Glo Speed Bead I installed on our camping Lakefield Mossberg.

I've also taken to carrying a high lumen pocket rocket flashlight this year too as I do a lot of travelling to and from where I hunt in the dark.

Have a good fall hunting sir and do continue to keep a sharp lookout for the bruins.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
On a recent trip into one of my favourite watersheds, I was surprised by the lack of bears and bear sign in the area. This is a high alpine area along the divide and it would appear the bears have moved down into the valley. Huckleberry bushes show no sign of ever having produced a berry and this probably has an effect, I'm sure. The intensely hot, dry July/August has certainly affected the habitat. Bad news for people down in the valley, as far as bear encounters are concerned, but less so along the divide; at least in this particular area. GD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 40 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.