Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone running Redline MT90 or MTL in your manual transmission. How is shifting?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NP435. Granted, meant to be shifted deliberately, not like a race car. Had unknown fluid, suspected to by syn though, that shifted ok if slow to down-shift. Changed to MT-90. Little smoother upshifts, certainly better down-shifts, and the old drive train roar is QUIETER by a surprising margin. I don't know what accounts for that. (Yes, the old fluid was topped up adequately.)

Prior experience was with the chitty borg-warner trans design saab used in the 99/900. MTL in those improved shifting; it was still a long throw even with a short kit, but it was more cooperative anyway. Whether MTL contributed pro/con to that transmission's already questionable longevity remains a mystery.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently replaced the fluid in my 6 speed Tacoma with Amsoil 75W-90. It was immediately smoother shifting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mobil One 75 W 90 in my 4Runner....

Pretty much all I've ever ran... so I don't know if other regular 80W90 would shift less efficiently...

Change it every 100,000 miles...

same stuff used in the rear end, front diff, and transfer case...

close to 540,000 on the transmission

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Can't use diff oil in it, has brass syncros and the sulfer in diff oil corrodes them. Have been using rotella strait 30 that is also speced for transmission use also cause the factory part number for fluid is 10w30 motor oil. Owners manual is a misprint, it says 75 90. About due for a change and thought I would try redline since it's esters based (true) sytheteic.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Can't use diff oil in it, has brass syncros and the sulfer in diff oil corrodes them. Have been using rotella strait 30 that is also speced for transmission use also cause the factory part number for fluid is 10w30 motor oil. Owners manual is a misprint, it says 75 90. About due for a change and thought I would try redline since it's esters based (true) sytheteic.

We use Redline MTL in the German cars and it really improves shifting, especially when cold and reduces noise. Some of the BMW V8 6 speeds are notorious for balky shifts and Redline straightens that out.

I'm a believer in their products. They make great diff oil for heavy applications too. I use their Shockproof 75W250 in my Cummins diffs and have not had any issues. Reduced gear noise in my current truck noticeably.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks badger, that's what I was looking for. I was also gonna do the rear diff in my jeep cause I changed it a couple of years ago and put 75w90 royal purple in it and read after I changed it that if you tow with it to use 75w140. I pull a boat with it so I may try their diff lube also, if I can find it. I may just end up filling it with shell spirax.

Thanks
T-roy

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just changed the fluid in my 92 Wrangler using Redline MT-90 about 2 weeks ago. Reviews by others and the company's claims made me go with the Redline; I have only had the Jeep for a few months and don't know what was in there previously. I really haven't noticed much difference; the transmission shifting is still a little notchy but it seems a bit less noisy now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by fortymile
I just changed the fluid in my 92 Wrangler using Redline MT-90 about 2 weeks ago. Reviews by others and the company's claims made me go with the Redline; I have only had the Jeep for a few months and don't know what was in there previously. I really haven't noticed much difference; the transmission shifting is still a little notchy but it seems a bit less noisy now.

It's a bit thick. The factory part number for fluid is a 10w30 motor oil. MT90 is for transmissions that calls for 75w90, the wrangler's owners manual is a misprint. MTL is a 70w80 equivalent to 30 weight but designed especially for manual transmissions. I had 75w90 in mine and it shifted like hammered $hit. Put 30 weight in it and it's much better. But I'm still gonna go with MTL next time.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Had great luck with RL MT90 in my 99 Tacoma's 5 speed.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just put 2 quarts of MT90 in a new project truck yesterday. It made a whining sound while driving but shifted perfectly. I shifts good as ever but the whining sound is history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tag

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Into the second page and no one has confused a transmission with a cross-dresser. I thank you all.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
It looks like a girls car but it has a stick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BIL's dad had a ford Ranger for years. He put Redline in it from about 50k miles on. I drove it one day when it had like 300k on it and i couldn't believe how smooth and tight it shifted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a rebuilt G52 5 speed manual trans for my 1985 Toyota 4X4 pickup and the shop guy said to use 10W-40 engine oil in it, NOT 80/90 gear oil. He said when it's cold outside and the gear oil is cold, if you push the shifter hard you can actually break the aluminum shift fork from the resistance of the thick oil.

He also said NOT to run synthetic because it's actually too slippery for the synchros to work right.

My Chilton manual recommends GL-4 or GL-5 75/90 or 80/90 gear oil.

I'm going to use the 10W-40 because the shop will warranty the trans with that oil. They wrote on the side of the trans case by the check bolt in sharpie "10W-40 motor oil."

Last edited by 270winchester; 10/15/15.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Thanks badger, that's what I was looking for. I was also gonna do the rear diff in my jeep cause I changed it a couple of years ago and put 75w90 royal purple in it and read after I changed it that if you tow with it to use 75w140. I pull a boat with it so I may try their diff lube also, if I can find it. I may just end up filling it with shell spirax.

Thanks
T-roy

According to ECGS, never, ever use Royal Purple in your diff. All they do is gears and have a pretty good idea what works and what doesn't. They recommend Lucas oil, but Royal Purple is the only brand they say not to use. I use Lucas 85-140 in my Tacoma.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pennzoil Synchromesh. Our Cherokee 5 speed has never been happier.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 270winchester
I just bought a rebuilt G52 5 speed manual trans for my 1985 Toyota 4X4 pickup and the shop guy said to use 10W-40 engine oil in it, NOT 80/90 gear oil. He said when it's cold outside and the gear oil is cold, if you push the shifter hard you can actually break the aluminum shift fork from the resistance of the thick oil.

He also said NOT to run synthetic because it's actually too slippery for the synchros to work right.

My Chilton manual recommends GL-4 or GL-5 75/90 or 80/90 gear oil.

I'm going to use the 10W-40 because the shop will warranty the trans with that oil. They wrote on the side of the trans case by the check bolt in sharpie "10W-40 motor oil."

The syncromesh and redline type fluids are designed specifically for manual transmissions even if they are synthetic, that mechanic is old school and has no knowledge of new lubricants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.