Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Got on the river with my son yesterday and today. Sure was nice being on the Flambeau River . Not many fish, maybe a dozen smallies and two channel cats this morning.
And here is my river rig. A small 1432 Jon boat. Got it for 50 bucks. YYYeeerrr all jealous of that custom river rig![ URL=http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/ihookem1/media/IMG_0154_zpsuxuzjul8.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by ihookem; 08/30/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I grew up not too far from that river. I spent many weekends floating the river in the 70's and 80's in my grumman canoe. Great smallmouth, walleye and muskie river. Nice rock bass too

thanks for sharing

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Ribka , I am on the SOuth Fork Flambeau River just up stream from the State forest. I dont know where the muskies went , the walleye seem down but the smallmouth fishin is hard to beat, , , and I never catch a small catfish. They are all from 26" to 30"

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on you...take a boy fishing. 'Go Kewaskum Indians' grin

Some 30 years ago a bunch of us did a lot of canoeing on the river. Must have been a lot of logging and floating logs down that river. We found logging artifacts in some of the rapids. I found a couple pickaroon heads and a 1892 Winchester.

Back then there were deer sightings galore.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thats funny Roundoak. I also found logging tools and two old logging camps. One is very close to the river. I never found a gun, only guys like you get that lucky. However, downstream from my cabin I was walking along the bank when the water was low. There is an area where the deer cross cause it is shallow there. I looked down to look for deer tracks and I saw an old rifle case. It was a 25 35. Win. Ya can't help but wonder, , , , , did he get the buck? . And wish that old case could draw a picture of the scene.. Nice picture you got the other day too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Winchester was a 32-20 and of course terrible condition after being in the water, only the iron was left. I can only surmise how it ended up in the rapids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
I grew up not too far from that river. I spent many weekends floating the river in the 70's and 80's in my grumman canoe. Great smallmouth, walleye and muskie river. Nice rock bass too

thanks for sharing

Ribka and ihookem, there was a tavern about 4 or 5 miles north of Ladysmith on HWY 27 called Shaw Dam Tavern. I believe it was next to the Thornapple River. A real colorful place that had a large sign on it called "Home of the stump jumpers." The owner was a hoot and practical joker. The plumbing was crude and was a two story structure, From the outside the upper level was signed Women and when you went to the men's room there was a hole in the ceiling above the toilet. A sign said something like - the women are always crapping on us.

A notorious practical joke was whwn the owner skinned a bear he shot and placed the carcass on the HWY 27 right of way within view of the tavern. It looked just like a human lying there and vehicles would drive by, stop, backup and check out the naked human. laugh

You guys been there?

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I have only been that far west one time and don't remember the tavern. If I get that way sometime I will look for it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Been awhile since I fished the flambeau. The last time I did, one of the biggest walleyes I've ever seen chased my bucktail up to me. I was wading and casting for muskies, but that eyeballer got my blood pumping. He never did swipe at it.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Canoed the Flam a time or two. Good times.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.