Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
John,is Hornady brass stamped .275 Rigby identical to 7x57 brass? Can I use the .275 Rigby brass safely in my 7x57 rifles?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes.

In fact I have been tempted to buy some of the .275 Rigby brass, most recently when a local store had some on a shelf, simply because of being a rifle loony. But my 7x57 is marked 7x57, so managed to suppress myself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yes.

In fact I have been tempted to buy some of the .275 Rigby brass, most recently when a local store had some on a shelf, simply because of being a rifle loony. But my 7x57 is marked 7x57, so managed to suppress myself.

Thats actually pretty impressive.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd be tempted to buy some and I don't have a rifle marked for either. grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

John, You are a master of digression.

Some of us would have had a discreet "pocket" milled into the barrel shank to remove the obviously errant cartridge designation.

Then, we would have had .275 Rigby proudly engraved.

I'd have used English Script with a few added flourishes.

By the way, one part of the jewelry biz I miss is the engraving. It was fun.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks John.Im a loony,and a very weak one when it comes to buying things for my 7x57s.Ill have to get some .275 cases before theyre gone!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Well, in firearms I’m somewhat of an Anglophobe, and pro-German. Despite the reputation of British rifles and shotguns, many of their bolt-action rifles were made on German actions and sometimes even German barreled actions. Essentially all the Brits did was add sights and stocks, and even had the gall to rename some perfectly fine German rounds, such as the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer and 7x57 Mauser.

Am also more of a fan of German double shotguns. They’re just as good as British doubles, if not better, because German guns usually have a third fastener so hold up for years of hard shooting, when many of the British guns have to be periodically tightened. Yet many modern shooting snobs will happily pay two or even three times as much for any sort of British shotgun. (And yes, Germans also know how to make light, finely balanced doubles.)

I also like drillings!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Autofive
John,is Hornady brass stamped .275 Rigby identical to 7x57 brass? Can I use the .275 Rigby brass safely in my 7x57 rifles?

And conversely, I used brass marked 7x57 and 7mm Mauser in my John Rigby .275 Mauser. It worked fine as it should, being the same thing.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

A model of restraint.

A true loony would have the rifle re-marked to match the brass.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
... Essentially all the Brits did was add sights and stocks, and even had the gall to rename some perfectly fine German rounds, such as the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer and 7x57 Mauser.

MD-
Hmmm!

It's pretty certain that the 6.5x54 M-S rimless was developed not by Germans, but by Austrians at Steyr, possibly including Ferdinand M. himself. Holt Bodinson's article in the Jan 2015 Guns is pretty clear about this.

I think, however, that Bodinson erred in the same article in writing that the 6.5x54 cartridge was anglicized by calling it the 256 Jeffrey. I can find no other references to that name.

If Cartridges of the World and some other references are correct, the cartridge was named the 256 Fraser Rimless by Daniel Fraser, and the 256 Swift Rimless by some person or persons unknown. It's unfair to blame the Brits for the former name, since Fraser was a Scot from Edinburgh. (Fraser photo below.)

Datig says that the 256 Swift was an English wildcat, with some known samples having 6.5x54 headstamps. More information about this cartridge name would be helpful, particularly dates. (Did it predate Wotkyn's Swift?)

Other British names for the 6.5x55 may include 256 Gibbs Rimless Nitro Express.

Following Solomon, Hemingway split the Austo-Anglo baby in two and used "256 Mannlicher". However, with all such use I can recall he was describing the rifle, not the cartridge.

Sorry, I'm feeling picky today.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'll digress further and relate a story about the British perspective on this subject.

I was loafing at Rigby's in London about 35 years ago, no customers, one gunsmith also minding the front counter. Wonderful time as he told tales of "Old Man Rigby" shooting with his .416 and cussing at Germans overhead in London during WWII.

He discovered I was a rifle fancier, hands me a rifle to inspect (rather plain, no embellishment, Mauser action) which he says has a very famous owner. I ask why, given the exact same case as the original German designed 7x57, Rigby marks them ".275 Rigby"? His answer, "My dear chap, it wouldn't do to mark Her Majesty the Queen's rifle with a German caliber." No fooling, he handed me the queen's rifle (which sported a Mauser 98 action, BTW).

Hence the .275 Rigby...

Last edited by GF1; 09/05/15.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bullshooter

Jeffery referred to the cartridge as ".256 Mannlicher Schoenauer" in their catalogue.

Oh and Scotland is part of Britain, so Fraser was indeed British.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

You’re right about the 6.5x54 being Austrian, of course, and I’ve written exactly that enough to know better. Apparently like a lot of people I tend to lump Germany and Austria into the same general term.

Dunno about the renaming except that British (and Scotsmen) just about universally refer to the 6.5x54 as the .256 in all the published stuff I’ve read, including Maydon’s big book.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ummmm, 256 --- 264 (6.5) ? ? ?

confused confused

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

And a darned good thing you did. smirk

The bullets get to the barrel stamp, read it, and go back.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I didn't know that! Thanks for the warning.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jwall

confused confused

British convention (not always followed) is to name by bore diameter, not groove or bullet diameter. Hence, for example, ".303" for a rifle which fires bullets of about .311" diameter, ".275" for a rifle firing bullets of about .284", and .315 for the 8x50R (.321" bullet).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Bullshooter

Jeffery referred to the cartridge as ".256 Mannlicher Schoenauer" in their catalogue.

Oh and Scotland is part of Britain, so Fraser was indeed British.
dan_oz-
Thank you for the information about Jeffery's catalog. I think confirms my interpretation of Bodinson's oopsie.

For clarity in my post I should have used "English" or "Anglo", rather than "Brit" and "British" that I used once each. I doubt that Mr. Fraser would have been pleased at being called an Englishman.

--Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by jwall
confused confused

British convention (not always followed) is to name by bore diameter, not groove or bullet diameter. Hence, for example, ".303" for a rifle which fires bullets of about .311" diameter, ".275" for a rifle firing bullets of about .284", and .315 for the 8x50R (.321" bullet).

Thank You Dan ! !

In amongst the cobwebs (spider webs) and R U S T of my 'memory', thanks to you I have a 'cloudy' recollection of KNOWING that 'in the past". smile

In La. they'd say "I've been knowin that" ! grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (6mmbrfan, 35, 14idaho, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.