24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we can count on outfits like Lipsey's to some extent to provide interesting and useful Hawkeye variants, just like the Number 1s. Sweet deal for Ruger, when you think about it; a block sale that gets them their money and puts the marketing onus on someone else. Not likely to be good for prices, though.

I wish I'd picked up one of those SS RSI centerfires as they've been steadily going up, especially the .250s.

I did snag one of the .22s though. Very nifty, and nicely put together.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/02/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Mg-arms makes a 13 ounce Kimber Montana patterned stock for the Ruger 77 Hawkeye/Mk II.
Got a pick or price tag for one? I know MPI makes light stocks for them. At one time Brown Precision did for long actions even though it didn't make it to their website as I held it at the Expo in SLC and confirmed via email. Did not know about the MG-arms...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not totally sure....but I have a feeling the MG-Arms stocks are MPI that MG then finishes, beds, and paints, and possibly inlets.

I'll have one in the next week or so. Paid $700, with a 3-4 month turn around which included bedding of the barreled action. 20 ounce stock was $100 less.

Here's one which seems to have the pics deleted, but you might contact Reloader28 for his pics and thoughts on the stock now that he's had it for a while:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/7895631/Re_Will_a_Ruger_Mk_II_long_act

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No hurry, just wasn't aware of that option. Look forward to hearing how you like the stock and hopefully seeing pics. I forget the poster's name, but he had some pretty light Rugers put together by Extreme Rifleworks. IIRC the smith has posted here in the pass as 440dodger or something like that.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Times have changed, but not as much as we think. We all know that plastic is the new wood because it is easier to work with and less affected by rough handling and moisture. Most of all, tis cheaper than low grade hardwood. Because of that, there had to be a shift towards polymer. You can't fault the rifle manufacturers for that. Businesses are always looking to cut costs.

As a result, custom stockmakers/gunsmiths will be called upon to turn a few plain Jane rifles into works of art...or at least, something prettier than Tupperware. That's good for their bottom line.

The odd production run will be made using fancy wood. That will be good for the rifle company's bottom line.

Companies like Boyd's will make more cash from inexpensive hunting rifles. That's good for their bottom line.

If you want a fancier grip, you're gonna have to pay for it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am stunned that folks with plenty of fully functional rifles are looking for something else...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of us don't want to beat up or wear out our old classics, or our current favorites.

That's assuming you're serious and not being a wise guy.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/03/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They could put the Hawkeye on a serious diet with a redesign. They need to take some metal out of the action. It shouldn't be hard with CAD and MIM capabilities.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Do the Hawkeyes shoot appreciably better than the RAR?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by duckster
Do the Hawkeyes shoot appreciably better than the RAR?

No on the ones I have been around, but the Hawkeye just feels solid and fit and finish are nicer. Of the 2 prefer the Hawkeye.

But very nice to have more options on LH rifles!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've got 3 old model 77's that have served me very well for years. I picked up a RAR in Bass Pro several months back and it felt like a cheap rifle (which it is) but from what I've read they shoot ok. The stocks are horrible looking and feeling but there's a market for that type of rifle I guess. It's just not for me!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 09/04/15.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
duckster,

On average RAR's outshoot Hawkeyes. They both use the same barrels, but RAR's have a superior action-bedding system and a 3-lug bolt, plus all their barrels are free-floated. Many if not most Hawkeyes still have the "tip hump" in the forend channel. Some will shoot well with the hump, but in my experience most Hawkeyes shoot better with their barrels free-floated.

The RAR also has a tang safety, like the original 77, though the RAR's doesn't lock the bolt down. Some people are still a little pissed that Ruger dropped the tang safety in the Mark II and Hawkeye for the long and clumsy 3-position safety, even though it does lock the bolt down.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RARs (and similar black and plastic rifles) so totally match the shooters who show up at the range to, hopefully, hit the target - or close- while shooting over a rest of rolled up closed-cell foam pad or cardboard box. eek

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like them. In fact, I've got two. My first was a 308 that I bought about the same time as Mule Deer got his. (Do you still have yours John?)

They get rained on, bumped and bounced with no ill effects. I like the tang safety, the lighter weight and they shoot pretty good too! They are a rifle version of the Jeep Wrangler. grin

Be nice to the black rifle shooters. That style of rifle (autoloading) is familiar to a lot of shooters from their time in the army. They are taking up much more space in a hunter's rifle rack!

Black is the new brown! (But admittedly, not everyone's cup of tea.)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like my 223 RAR too. It's very accurate, shoots every bullet I've loaded for it to the same POI at 100yards, making changing loads painless. It's twisted right also, so the 75Amax's shoot great also. A lot of rifle for the money and fun to play with.

David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.