Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10377562 09/02/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi there. I have a chance to pick up a Sako Mauser action in .30-06 but I don't really know much about them. I know that Sako didn't make their own long action until '61 so this would be an FN action that pre-dates the L61R. Anyone know what the value of these rifles is? I haven't seen the actual condition yet. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got one and I'm very happy with it. Not sure what they are worth. Mine came with a 70 style safety installed which I prefer to what they come with.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Have you checked the completed auctions section on gunbroker?

This might give you a better guess in regards to what people buy them for versus asking prices.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, checked on gunbroker and other sites. There isn't a lot out there, and what there is seems to vary a lot in price. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Personally I think they are worth less on the market than the sako actioned rifles. I'd value it the same as a decent Fn actioned factory rifle like the nicer husqvarnas. I would check to ensure it has the sako trigger in it (adjustable). Nice enough rifles, I would be happy to get one myself!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I paid $600 for mine not long ago. It's in very good shape with the exception of a small split in the forend tip. The trigger is very nice. It seems a bit lighter than comparable FN Deluxe sporters. Haven't shot it yet. Replaced the old Bushnell on it with an old Redfield Widefield in Buehler mounts. Given that Higgins Model 50s seem to be going for about as much, I think I got a good deal.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/03/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
FN mauser action rifles vary a lot in value depending on who marketed them. $350 is probably the low end for store brand guns like higgins, and up towards $1000 for browning guns, true FN guns and sakos are closer to the high end, husqvarnas next step down. The function of these guns across that range seems about the same (excellent) but naturally the fit and finish is usually better on the high end stuff. If it's in excellent condition and you like the polish of a sako and the name, it's probably a good investment at 7-8 bills and still an ok snag at 9. Past that I wouldn't be sure about getting your money out any time soon. If function is you main concern and the money isn't so much an issue, you can probably find a higgins for under $500 that will work the same.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any comparison to the CZ 550? Have offers to trade for either, but haven't handled either. Like that the CZ has a detachable mag.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pappy,

That's a nice looking rifle!

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both the CZ550 and a JC Higgins Model 50 (FN Mauser). The FN action is definitely a smoother actions that has more of an old world finish. The CZ is a solid action that has some oddities such as the ring mounting system. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I agree. No one else bid on it and Temptation got the best of me.

Don't know if I'll get to keep it, as my sons are each going to pick something out of Pappy's stack and this one is a contender. I will at least get to sight it in.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/04/15.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Birdwatcher, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.