-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Deer camp members had a meeting last night to plan a onsite work day this Labor Day and of course, conversations led to rifles and ammo we are going to use in November.

After decades of using a 250-3000 in a Savage 99 a Marlin 336 30-30 will be in my hands opening day. The cat-calls began before I could explain why and I was told that I am jinxing the hunt.

To further add to their disapproval I told them the 99's Leupold Vari-X II, 1-4x20mm is now mounted on the 336. This is a scope that fogged up on me last August and was sent to Leupold to fix and since returned. The 99 wears a new Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm now.

I received a text at noon from one of the campers informing me they are starting a pool to see if I end up jinxed. Rough crowd. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If that setup appears in the classifieds shortly after Thanksgiving, we'll know how the season played out. <grins>

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That could happen. I have put a lot of pressure on myself so I will show up at camp extra hungry for red meat. wink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Unless the 336 was your dads or gramps rifle WHY would you use it over the 99 250-3000????? You will piss the Savage Gods off big time!!! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 09/04/15.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Knocking over big mature whitetails routinely with the 250 became boring. For years heard good things about the 30-30 in the upper-midwest deer woods and decided to see what all the fuss is about. grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's still time to get an 1899 in 30/30, likely they'll never know it's not the 250....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
See steelhead solved the problem for ya! but the 1899 30-30 going to cost you about 3 times what your 336 cost!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by saddlering
See steelhead solved the problem for ya! but the 1899 30-30 going to cost you about 3 times what your 336 cost!

I don't know, I picked this one up on the 'Fire for $425 a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I actually did seek out a 99 30-30 in the beginning, fellas. The 99H carbine with barrel band was very appealing. A friend at the local sportsmen club has one and he let me shoot a few rounds with it.

Using the rear barrel sight was a disaster, then I folded up the Lyman tang safety and I did minute of deer out to 75 yards, but beyond that no good with these old eyes.

Contacted Lightfoot on the Savage forum for the details on his scope mounts and continued looking for an H. In the meantime a 1969 Marlin 336 came up on Armslist - Wisconsin. It was cherry and came with 3 boxes of shells for $375.00. Been having fun with it ever since.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aint a thing wrong with a marlin 30-30.maybe aint as "cool" as a 99/250,but sure has taken a few steaks home for me and others over the years.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
In the eastern woods a .30-30 is about as close to ideal as a deer cartridge gets IMHO.
However, a 99 in .250 is just plain fuggin' cool!

If you are going to use a .30-30 it needs a 'cool' factor too...I used to use a Model 64, which i thought qualified.

And it killed deer too.... grin

Anyway, if you jinxed the hunt, Id be willing to take the .250 off of you for $50...if you pay the shipping.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What a guy! What an offer, but I won't be getting back to you on it.

Now a cool factor, I'll get back to you on that. grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is a share from Gray's sporting journal from many years ago. I believe you will like it.

A couple of years ago Becky and I went up to Norb and Sig's place in Vermont. They were having their annual invitation-only deer hunt; it's about half hunt and half party, but the men who go up every year seem to know why they go, and the year before they had put a half-dozen deer on the pole. Becky and I didn't even buy licenses; all we wanted to do was to shake a few hands, hear one or two of the stories, sort of a tire-kicking trip.
We got there late in the afternoon of the first day of the hunt, an most of the boys were already back at the house. No deer.
"No snow," somebody said.
"Too hot."
"Herd's down."
"Lotta hunters out there."
"Let's eat," somebody said.
The meal was the standard, put-a-lot-of-stuff-in-the-pot-and-let-it-simmer number, and while the simmering part took place the boys fell loosely into the various chairs and benches around the fire and started talking. You know the script.
You really know the script if you know the group. Norb is one of those upper-echelon gun nuts who thinks about firearms the way Eddie Arcaro must think about horses - passionately, but with respect. So the boys who hunt with Norb tend to be cut from a cloth. A cloth anointed with Hoppe's.
Anyway, it didn't take long for the talk to get around to calibers. Tom had his moment then, for he was recently back from a hidden valley in British Columbia where he had reduced a truly large grizzly to possession with a single shot from his new big bore Colt Sauer. He even had pictures, but the
boys sort of tuned out after they agreed that a .458 Win Mag. might have too much stopping power for the Vermont deer woods. Tom didn't have it with him anyway.
An interesting thing to do in any deer camp is to glance across the gun rack, and you could tell right away that the boys in Norb's bunch weren't just deer hunters. All bolt actions and scopes here, and the ordnance leaned a bit to the heavy side of .270. Becky and I weren't really in the thick of the
conversation, and I was having fun imagining where some of those rifles had pointed when Norb's brother Charley came over.
"Where's your gun, Ed?" he asked.
"Oh, I'm not hunting this time," I answered. "Going up to New Hampshire next week."
Charley nodded.
"But I did bring the gun," I said. "My good .30-30. The one Becky gave me. Pre-64, really a good one. You ought to see it."
Charley didn't want to see it. In fact he didn't want to hear about it. "Don't use it," he said.
He was right, of course. If you spend all year working up to your few days in the woods, if you truly love venison, and if your rifle is simply the tool to get the job doen, then you certainly will increase your odds if you put some extra foot-punds behind your bullet. "Just remember," Charley said, "The first time you trail a wounded deer for six miles is the last time you'll use that .30-30."
"Yeah," I said. The problem is that I've never hunted deer with anything but a .30-30. To me it's a part of the package, just like woolen pants, new snow and lunch alone deep in the woods. I wasn't going to change just because it made sense to do so.
Like most of us, I spend the better part of my time on a deer hunt alone, not seeing game, and the only thing along for company is my little rifle. It's the sort of circumstance that turns inanimate things into pets, and the .30-30 that Becky gave me had become that. So I listened to Charley, and I worried a bit about what he had said, but I took the little gun with me anyway.
I took the little gun when Larry and I went back to the cabin near Bog Brook. I, and the rifle, had been there before, and when we got there I hung the rifle on its peg by the back door. Not an event, just one of the little rituals that marks the edges of a regular hunt; a quiet pleasure marked and quickly forgotten, to be remembered much later.
The moment passed as quickly three days later when I took the gun of the peg, a minor act lost in the glow of what had turned out to be the best hunt that I've had yet. I packed the gun in the back of the jeep, in with the duffel and seemingly detached from the trophy it had cleanly taken - the dressed northern whitetail that hit 212 pounds on the scale at West Milan. The deer I'd spent ten years seeking. The deer that people still want to hear about. The deer that hangs next to me in the funny snapshot that Larry took, the picture that shows my day-glow hat that Larry talked me into wearing that day. And it shows the little rifle resting on my knees as I sit there on the porch of the cabin up near Bog Brook. I'll show you the picture. I'll show you the mounted head of the deer, and I'll even show you the funny hat, as long as you don't ask about the rifle.
Because the rifle was stolen ten months later.
So now I spend a lot of time in gun shops, elbows on the counter, peering at the rack where they keep the better used rifles. If Charley were with me he'd smile, I'm sure, as I looked over the nicely-checkered .30-06's and.308's. But he'd have no way of knowing that this was just idle window shopping, a casual glance across the whole selection. I only get serious when I come to the place where they keep the .30-30's, the Model 94's.
When I find them, I stand back a bit and look carefully, searching for the right touch of age, color and grace that marks a good one. If I don't see it, I move on. But if one of the little guns has it, if the patina is right on the stock and the detachable swivels are there, then I pick it up.
I pick it up and turn it over. If you saw me do it you might think that I was checking for rust or dry-rot, feeling the action or checking for wear. No.
When I turn over the .30-30, I'm looking for just one thing. A number.
I think Charley would understand.

Ed Gray, October 1979

NRA Benefactor life member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks that was a nice read! my buddie and I still look for the 250 savage 99 he had stolen from his home 30 years ago, was his grandfathers rilfe!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.