Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I drew the 41-1 any elk rifle tag (October 15 - November 5).

I could use some info from folks familiar with the area.

I’m in decent shape and live at 6500 feet. I have a deer hunt in NM in September at 9-10K feet so will be in better shape by the time this hunt rolls around. I’ve been hunting elk and deer seriously for 20 years, so fairly experienced. I won’t be able to drive from NM to WY to scout before the hunt, but will probably be able to spend most of the hunt up there. I could probably get up there a few days before the start of the hunt if that makes sense.

I plan on dragging a camp trailer up for base camp. I plan to spend most nights in the camper and hunt from camp or drive to a place to hike in. I’m good for 6 or 8 miles each day (long term) or more if not every day or conditions warrant going light. I might do some overnights a few miles in on foot if the weather cooperates. The truck is 4WD, but big, so I won’t be doing any tight trails to get to a place to start hunting. I’m not interested in road hunting and want to get away from crowds (but not afraid to park on a busy road and climb over a ridge or two if that is what is needed.) I’d like a nice bull, but the hunt is more important than the rack. If the bulls do not cooperate, a cow is fine.

What I’m looking for info-wise is which part of the unit is good to use for a base of operations. Then I know where to focus map scouting before I come up. Looking at maps it looks like the eastern part of the unit near (but not in) the Cloud Peak Wilderness is my best bet. It looks like most of the rest of the unit is lower, and agricultural (and mostly private.)

From what I read it looks like non-residents like me need a guide in the wilderness (which is why I’m staying out of it.) I’m too cheap and stubborn to do the guide or private land trespass fee thing.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

(p.s. I look like a newbie to the Campfire, but have been around for 6 or 8 years. My old login would not work so I just created a new profile. I used to be something like NM ElkChaser.)

BP-B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yep, just go up as high as you can go with your truck/camper and hunt all the NF down toward where the 41/45 boundary is, but be aware you will have company no matter where you go up there with several hundred others that drew that tag. I really prefer bow season up in the NF when its quiet, the bulls are rutting, and there are a lot fewer people. I'll be up in 45 the first two weeks of next month helping a friend that drew a 45-9 archery tag and it will be a blast.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
It looks like there are 3 NF campgrounds (Upper and Lower Paint Rock Lake and Medicine Lodge Lake) on the 41/45 boundary. Is that where people cluster? I'm not totally anti-social, but staying away from crowds is good for the blood pressure and the hunting. Boondocking in BLM or NF is fine or even preferred.

What is available as far as diesel fuel/water/food in that corner in October? According to my [/i] exhaustive[i] Interweb research, Greybull is the only place in the area with much. I'm pretty self sufficient in the camper for a couple weeks, but the truck is thirsty for diesel.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know Hyattville at the end of the hardball hwy towards Medicine Lodge has a store and bar, but don't remember seeing gas pumps. There is road between Hyattville and Tensleep, and Tensleep does have a filling station. Tensleep gets pretty busy with hunters, for such a tiny town, and tempers can flare, as the dust gets kicked up with road construction and people don't get from point a to point b as easily. I really liked Fish and Game folks during hunting, out that way. They were friendly and helpful, most of them came out from Cody to help the local G&F guys. Expect crowds. Not likely you will be able to avoid them. I've only hunted deer and turkey out there.
Greybull is really your overall source for gas and supplies.

Last edited by Wyogal; 08/17/15.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[quote=NM_ElkNut]It looks like there are 3 NF campgrounds (Upper and Lower Paint Rock Lake and Medicine Lodge Lake) on the 41/45 boundary. Is that where people cluster? I'm not totally anti-social, but staying away from crowds is good for the blood pressure and the hunting. Boondocking in BLM or NF is fine or even preferred.

Any word on preferred camping area? Do these get pretty filled up or not so much?

Also, how has the weather been in north central Wyoming this summer? Is water relevant when internet scouting this year? Is it ever for this area?

Down here in NM we have been abnormally wet (first year in a long time we have not had major fires.)

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You and I have the same elk tag. I lived in Greybull for a few years (my wife is from there). Send me a PM.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
265 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.