-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I been getting picky about my purity rifles lately. What is the preferred treatment to combat mule sweat from using a leather scabbard and riding? Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My approach is preventative care of the scabbard first using Pecard's leather dressing/oil then wipe down the guns frequently with Rem Oil.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=equecare

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=shoeoil

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
My approach is preventative care of the scabbard first using Pecard's leather dressing/oil then wipe down the guns frequently with Rem Oil.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=equecare

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Pecard&Category_Code=shoeoil

Having carried rifles in scabbards for close to 45 years now, the only thing I do is a light coating of Mobil 1 Zero to-30 on the rifle.

It is not the rust that will get you, it is the wear itself of metal on leather. The more oil you have on the leather, especially inside, the more dirt/grit it will collect where you can't get at it. Some guys like fleece lined scabbard, but that collects moisture and you will definitely get rust from that.

Rifles carried in scabbards get scabbard wear, sides of scope bells and muzzle. Same as handguns carried in holsters a lot.
Pretty much fact of life if you hunt on horses or mules and I don't think any oil is going to stop that.

With a particular 1936 Winchester Model 94, I put it in one of those gun socks then into the scabbard.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/05/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Neither rifle nor scabbard has ever been on a horse, but both have been paired for many miles. Wear happens. (In this instance the scabbard has been attached to a snowmachine.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have you used a good paste wax? Then keep it in a thin Silicone gun sock. It would be a pain for quick access though.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by roundoak

Having carried rifles in scabbards for close to 45 years now, the only thing I do is a light coating of Mobil 1 Zero to-30 on the rifle.

It is not the rust that will get you, it is the wear itself of metal on leather. The more oil you have on the leather, especially inside, the more dirt/grit it will collect where you can't get at it. Some guys like fleece lined scabbard, but that collects moisture and you will definitely get rust from that.

Rifles carried in scabbards get scabbard wear, sides of scope bells and muzzle. Same as handguns carried in holsters a lot.
Pretty much fact of life if you hunt on horses or mules and I don't think any oil is going to stop that.

With a particular 1936 Winchester Model 94, I put it in one of those gun socks then into the scabbard.

I don't apply any dressing to the inside.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

Neither rifle nor scabbard has ever been on a horse, but both have been paired for many miles. Wear happens. (In this instance the scabbard has been attached to a snowmachine.)

thats a great pic. did you need to change the front sight?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
did you need to change the front sight?

Sycamore

Yup

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Angus, that must be one sweaty mule:)
I have used Saddle Butter, Skidmores, and Obenaufs. To name a few. I like anything with beeswax. Seems to work pretty well for leather in rough use.
I like the idea of a rifle sock. Might try that myself.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I am gonna treat the scabbards with sno seal after I clean em, then I will see if a sock will fit in there on the long rides.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is much better than snow seal.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I already own the snow seal. Will look for obendorfs LP.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is much better than snow seal.

Absolutely +1

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.