Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10390624 09/05/15
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I was just at Walmart and noticed a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Rem Mag with a cheap 3x9 scope for $370 and figured that is a decent price. I have never really thought about a 7mm Rem Mag so no sure what it should become if I pick it up. Any ideas?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I ve always wanted a 350 Norma.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not much in NA that you can't handle with a 7mm mag probably a bit big for some hunting .but dead is dead. I use to load mine down to 280 or 7x57 levels which was easy enough, just wasted a bit of powder.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got quite a few rifles of different calibers from 6mm-300 Win. Mag,I have to say the 7mag is one of my favorites.It is very accurate,recoil is not bad,shoots flat,hits hard,wide range of bullet weights to pick from,kills from close up to way out yonder,would be my vote for the "All Around Gun".Get rid of the cheap scope and put a decent one on it and go out and kill something with it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with the post above. I made due with one for several years and could do so again if needed.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice caliber.. Have shot it since about the time it first hit the market.. Never heard of an animal being killed too dead.. One of my favorite rifle calibers..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep scope is definitely gone. I might play with it for a while since I don't think I have had a 7mm Rem Mag before. I will put a 6x42 on it either Meopta or Leupold and give it a whirl.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you reload,I've got some good loads that work on several rifles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
pacecars, I see you live in Florida(great place) but it's not home to big animals and wide open spaces. Do you intend to hunt out west for elk and such? If so then it's a good choice, one I really like. If most of your hunting is local why bother? Just say'n

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The 7mm Remington Magnum is quickly becoming one of my favorite calibers. Mine is a Model 70 G Series SS worked over by Redneck. It sits in a McMillan Edge legend stock. The gun is an excellent shooter with 140s up to 175s. Very versatile cartridge, paired with high BC bullets should handle any game in NA.

I will let everybody know how it works on Moose in mid October.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 09/05/15.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fella can do a lot worse than a 7 mag. I'll always have at least one in the rack. This rifle started life as a .300 win. Pawn shop special.....It had a BIG dog-knot bout 3" long at the muzzle. Somebody fired it with the barrel plugged and I got it for next to nothing. Found this 7mag barrel in the classifieds and had it spun on.

Does nice thangs so far...
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had more 7mm Rem mags then anything else. Don't have one now but that is going to be remedied tomorrow.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The only limits on a 7 rem is the shooters ability..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It looks good on paper. I've had a few and sold the last one after buying a chronograph. There is no doubt it'll work just as advertised on most anything in NA, and at longer ranges than most people have any business shooting.

I just found the real bullet speeds I got were not any better than the same bullet weights in 30-06. Generally the better BC's of the 7mm bullets offered a slight advantage at longer ranges, but not enough to justify the longer barrel, heavier rifle and added recoil.

Even if you could get advertised speeds from one, the advantages don't justify the negatives to me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
The 7mm Remington Magnum is quickly becoming one of my favorite calibers. Mine is a Model 70 G Series SS worked over by Redneck. It sits in a McMillan Edge legend stock. The gun is an excellent shooter with 140s up to 175s. Very versatile cartridge, paired with high BC bullets should handle any game in NA.

Glad you are taking the ol girl up north for moose! Can't wait to see some pics!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
It looks good on paper. I've had a few and sold the last one after buying a chronograph. There is no doubt it'll work just as advertised on most anything in NA, and at longer ranges than most people have any business shooting.

I just found the real bullet speeds I got were not any better than the same bullet weights in 30-06. Generally the better BC's of the 7mm bullets offered a slight advantage at longer ranges, but not enough to justify the longer barrel, heavier rifle and added recoil.

Even if you could get advertised speeds from one, the advantages don't justify the negatives to me.

If you actually think that the 7MM recoils significantly more than a 30-06, you have a 7MM Rem Mag rifle that has stock design issues versus having a significantly harder recoiling cartridge.

In similar weight rifles with the same stock design such as two Win Model 70's or Rem 700's, the difference in actual recoil in foot pounds (both at roughly 20 foot pounds) is insignificant in comparison. In contrast, a poorly designed rifle stock causes you to perceive felt recoil as being far greater than it is.

I like and use both cartridges, and I definitely don't like one more than the other because it "kicks less". smirk And neither cartridge - like most other cartridges you look at - will not always live up to its internet quoted velocities provided by Moe Handloader.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Originally Posted by JMR40

If you actually think that the 7MM recoils significantly more than a 30-06, you have a 7MM Rem Mag rifle that has stock design issues versus having a significantly harder recoiling cartridge.

In similar weight rifles with the same stock design such as two Win Model 70's or Rem 700's, the difference in actual recoil in foot pounds (both at roughly 20 foot pounds) is insignificant in comparison. In contrast, a poorly designed rifle stock causes you to perceive felt recoil as being far greater than it is.

I like and use both cartridges, and I definitely don't like one more than the other because it "kicks less". smirk And neither cartridge - like most other cartridges you look at - will not always live up to its internet quoted velocities provided by Moe Handloader.

+1 I have a sako 75 SS synthetic in 30-06 that kicks like a mule. My 7mm weatherby was a pussycat in comparison.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

I like and use both cartridges, and I definitely don't like one more than the other because it "kicks less". smirk And neither cartridge - like most other cartridges you look at - will not always live up to its internet quoted velocities provided by Moe Handloader. [/quote]

I have found the recoil about equal for these two cartridges in similar rifles. Perhaps the 7 mag kicks slightly more, nothing significant to me. Having said that, my brother had a 7 mag in a 700 bdl stock that banged him around pretty good, definitely a stock fit issue as he also had one in a mcmillan supergrade that was easy to shoot.
In timber for closer shots on big stuff (elk, moose) I'd probably prefer an 06 loaded heavy, but at longer ranges (clearcuts, cross-canyon opportunities) I'd much prefer a 7 mag with something like a quality 160 grain bullet. The preference in the timber for an 06 would be because I could run a 22" barrel for a bit handier package, nothing to do with the cartridge.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tdn
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Glad you are taking the ol girl up north for moose! Can't wait to see some pics!

Hoping to have some great photos. Taking the 168gr TTSX with a stout load of H4831SC.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 09/06/15.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by baldhunter
If you reload,I've got some good loads that work on several rifles.

I load for 2 Tikka T3 rifles in 7 Rem Mag, I'd love to see your data.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.