Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You folks know who he is. I'm the guy that just removed his other "elephant gun" from his possession. And I was glad to help a fellow 'fire member out. grin

He made me a very sweet deal and was quite a pleasure to do business with.

I have no intentions (dreams maybe) of going to Africa, I have just wanted a 9.3 for a few years now and was thinking of reboring/rebarreling a M700 beater. Now that plan is on hold.

I hope to use this as a "heavy" elk rifle. (Aren't they all heavy? Epsecially away from a road?) I have heard on some of the posts here that my '06 "just isn't enough gun".

Also, I will be prepared if, during the zombie apocalypse, the virus ever crosses species lines and infects the Dangerous Game animals in the local menageries and they manage to escape into the suburbs cool

And while it doesn't happen often, rogue garbage trucks have been known to terrorize a neighborhood or two.

Mostly, now I won't feel guilty visiting this part of the Campfire.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thank you Geno. It was a pleasure meeting you and I'm glad this 9.3x62mm went to a good home. You never know about Africa. If you do decide to go, that rifle has already been there twice with its original owner. Good luck with the ol girl and keep me posted on how it shoots for you and how you scope her up..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks like he made and excellent buy!!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Does this mean you're reboring the LH 760? whistle

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm leaving the 760 as is for now. ....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh man BSA, I can't believe you sold your 9.3! That sucker is a SHOOTER!!! Nice grab, Vals.

I'm a collector of BSA's guns as well. LoL. grin

Eric

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Eric,

I'll try to keep everyone posted on this rifle's use. I hope to take it elk hunting one day, most likely not this year as my work schedule has seriously screwed with hunting. Think I'm stuck with week or so of our archery deer season and birds. Maybe when I get done working for the season I can find something in OR where my wife is living now.

You back in SoCal now? I just looked up our last PM a year or so ago. I may get down there sometime this winter/next spring.

Wishing you the best with your "BSA'S rifles" wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Geno,

I'm back in SoCal, which I can confirm is a MUCH better place to be than East Africa. LoL. laugh I did manage to take a short safari in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, though, which was about as cool as you can get!

I had some car issues recently so had to cancel a Aoudad hunt in TX but I'm going to try to get a pig in the CA wine country this next May. It might be a good opportunity to use the 338 Alaskan I bought from BSA. You're going to be stoked with that 9.3. The 10-round target is great stuff! I'm sure it would be magic for elk!

My next "BSA rifle" will probably be his pre-64 30-06 FWT, or 270 FWT.... right BSA? LoL.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All I can do is laugh Eric..... But one never knows. Stranger things have happened... laugh. I'm actually getting pretty danged excited to see the 338 after Gene Simillion gets done with it though. You'll be smiling from ear to ear after you pull the trigger on that sweet heart. As will Geno with the 9.3x62mm. Those are both damn fine rifles. Glad they went to great homes where they will be well cared for and probably even loved... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure you really "need" a .338 for a wine country pig, but if it gives you a chance to use it, it'll probably make us all happy

except the pig laugh

Hope you get a chance to go.

rest assured, I'll not be putting in for just bonus points in AZ next year and I'll do my best to keep work from interfering with my WA hunts next year too.

G

PS, good luck getting those FWt's. wink

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot to mention, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of dies and a scope. UPS says they arrived in Spokane yesterday morning, too late to get on a truck. I think they have to go thru Lewiston or even Walla Walla, weird delivery routes out here in farm country. I've seen them route stuff through Hermiston, then all the way to Spokane and down thru Lewiston to get to me about 3 hrs from Hermiston. They're fairly efficient I guess.

Found some RL 15 and primers, so once the dies get here I'll load some up and take her to the range. Tried to find some loaded ammo locally but no luck. I was going to take her to the range and just use the irons. Limited supply of components in that caliber, too.

Oh well, it's not the only caliber I reload for that I have to search for components, just the biggest!

My brother and friends have already asked me if I'm planning on shooting elephants.

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geno, keep an eye on SPS for those 286gr. Partitions like the ones you got from me. They are dandies and that rifle really likes them. You'll also want to grab all the RL 15 you can find!! Good luck on your future elephant hunts...
laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never shopped there before, now it's on my radar. Thanks.

I'll be looking into some loads for Barnes, E-tips If available as I put in (and sometimes draw) tags in the Condor zone in AZ. Those Barnes seem to shoot well for guys too.

RL-15 will be tried in a couple of other calibers, if it works well in those I'll be looking for 5lb jugs.

Thanks again for all your help.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
UPS website says they delivered my "goodies" at 7:24 last night. I came into work at 6:00 pm. Hope I have enough energy to unpack the box and get the scope mounted to see how she looks.

Geno

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That sounds like a fun rifle!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's my hope.
The scope and accessories arrived the other day but I haven't had time to get it set up. And with no factory loads on hand I have to set up the press and stuff. Maybe next week when I get done with this stretch of 11 nights in a row. Of course, that's about the only time I'll have off for hunting if I want to go archery here. I'd get a rifle tag but think I'm scheduled for work that week.

I've got to win the lottery so I can retire and do fun stuff all day!

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geno, you got that bad boy scoped yet??? Post some pics when you do. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Send me a PM or something (link to post on how to?) on how to post pics. I'm not always happy about having to "join" something like photobucket and give more of my personal info away. Usually when shopping if it's not with place I already have an account I try to "shop as guest" so they don't keep info. I was hoping there would be something like that here on the fire, but I guess the bad guys have screwed us for just being able to post jpegs. Too much crap can be contained in them I guess.

Unfortunately I've been working 12 hr shifts, 6A to 6P (day 8 right now, only 3 more to go!) and by the time I shower I get home almost at dark. I've got tomatoes and peppers in the garden I can't see to get without a flashlight!

All I have right now for a place to mount that scope is an unlighted shed. I haven't even had time to drill a whole in the wall so I can run a power cord from the RV utility "pole". I get off Sunday at 6pm then have Mon and Tues off and hope to get some appts taken care of. Then Wed I start on a string of 10 nights, 6p to 6a. I may have time to do something then, as I can work on the bench in the shed during daylight hours.

I seriously need to win the powerball so I can retire and do the stuff I like when I want. grin Not when the "masters" give me a day off from slaving.

It's been a seriously busy OT year for me, which is how I could justify that nice CZ birthday present to myself. I'll get her going as soon as I can.

And I've been getting info from other members today on ranges over in the Ptlnd area to take it out shooting this winter.

Thanks for asking and reminding me. I see the dang scope and rings sitting on the bench when I do get a minute to open the door sometimes.

Geno

PS, PM me with the COAL you used with those partitions if you'd be so kind.

Thanks again.
PPS, next year I put in for elk tags in a few states, I wanna take that gun out to the woods too.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OH, I forgot, I got a bit of time off late last month like I thought I would. No hunting got done, scope didn't get mounted. Took a couple of those days to go over to Ptlnd area as wife wanted to run the dogs at an event in Junction City. "My" dog was the main reason, the other one for fun, so I figured I'd help out.

Long story short, she had a medical emergency while there, before the races started. Nausea and a terrible headache, came on rapidly, I thought she was going to fall down. We both thought she was having a stroke as we are at that "age" now when anything can happen. As we were way out in farmland I asked and found where the "local" emergency was and pulled the dogs from their races and we hauled ass. Turns out it might have been her first ever migraine but the docs weren't sure so I sorta "had to" hang around for a few more days to keep and eye on her. Needless to say, there goes hunting and mounting scopes. (had I known I would have brought the stuff over there)

Then back here to start the grind again.

I'll be glad when this season is over. They tell me that have people hired "in the pipeline". yeah, right.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.