-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for advice on having a scope refurbished. It is a Bushnell Scopechief 2-8x. It is a straight tube that looks to be be extruded and sturdy as all get out. No objective bell and a low profile ocular bell. It has a dovetail rail on bottom as means of mounting. I like the profile of this scope and want to use it on my Remington Model 5 .22 rifle. But it is cloudy. Probably a delaminated lense?

Bushnell won't repair it. They will give me 40% off of MSRP on a new scope which makes the price about $5 less than Midway! And of course the new scope is nowhere as sleek as the one I want repaired.

Scanning the web I don't see a lot of choices for repair. Parsons doesn;t seem to do Bushnell. I also see L and K Scope repair and Iron Sight, both of which seem like they might deal with this scope.

Can anyone comment on either of these service providers or suggest another source for having this scope refurbished?

TIA!

Last edited by GunReader; 07/22/11.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try ABO.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ABO, I did find them in my search and should have mentioned them. Have you used their services?

~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not for anything antique.
On Redfields and a no-name spotting scope, they have done well.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
FYI, Gil Parsons passed away sometime last year. His son is not going to carry on the business, so scratch that one off your list.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear about Gil Parsons. This seems to be a service with room for more providers.

@BarryC ABO's claime on ther website did seem to be pretty straightforward. I had not heard of them before. They and L & K were the only ones I saw that I felt likely to try.

Still seeking comments, though.

~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had ABO repair three older Redfields for me a few years ago. the work was good, but it took almost eight months.

Ted

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just spent an hour on the phone with Larry of L & K Scope Repair of Eldridge, Missouri. No! I would not call a service person and expect to take up his time like that. He called me based on an e-mail query and we just chatted like two old gun nuts from the same home town (Chicago) will do.

Because of this opportunity to talk to him in detail, I have no doubt that he knows my scope, knows how to fix it, knows how to re-cement lenses and will do a fine job. (Probably. You never really know, do you?)

Thanks for the advice that was offered here. Unless someone comes forward with some huge negative story about L & K, I have found my repair shop.

http://lkscoperepair.webs.com/

Last edited by GunReader; 07/22/11.

~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used to buy Bushnells when I worked for Dales's Gun Shop in Rochester, Minnesota. He always told the customers how great they were.
Then I found out that he bought direct from the factory and got a huge discount, which made it profitable to sell them.
That is why he thought they were so great, the profit margin!
The moral of the story is Never believe a salesperson.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I don't know how Gun Reader's scope repair went but I had a similar long friendly conversation with Larry and things got worse once he had my scope. I just needed a reticle replacement but Larry insisted that a lens relamination was needed. The reticle is OK but there's a glob of glue in the perifery, lint in the new lamination adhesive and the view is hazy (wasn't before). He charged me 200 when I could have had the reticle replaced at Iron Sight Inc. for $95. L+K only takes Money Orders; that should tell you something. Use Iron Sight Inc.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
For the record, I sent it back to L+K to clean the glue and lint from the lenses and because my reticle had been previously plumb I noticed that it was now out of plumb as a result of the elevation turret having been reinstalled backward. Its an old German claw mounted scope with soldered rings so it was plumbed when built and can't be rotated in its mounts. The reticle tube inside is screwed to the turret assembly outside which if installed backward causes the reticle alignment to change slightly. L+K says it doesn't matter but they're wrong; it matters if you have soldered rings and can't plumb the reticle by rotating the scope in its mounts. They refused to fix any/all of their mistakes. These scopes must be put back together the way they were originally assembled. Gil's son Richard (Parsons) now has Parsons scope repair and I recommend them highly. Do not send your scope to L+K, you'll regret it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.