Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm in Washington Dulles (at long last!) and have a couple hours to kill before my flight to DFW, so I thought I'd put up some descriptions and pics for y'all. As you know, I left for Zimbabwe on Aug 24 in search of Cape buffalo, eland, and kudu, with buff being the priority.

John Sharp (my PH) picked me up in Bulawayo on the afternoon of Aug. 26, and we proceeded to the Bubye Valley Conservancy (BVC), a privately held game park of nearly 1 million acres in the southeast corner of Zim. The BVC has to be seen to be believed. The quantities of game in there defy my powers of description. Consider numbers like this: five hundred lions. Yes; five hundred of which perhaps 6-10% are huntable males. More lion research is getting done in the BVC than in Hwenge Park, former home of the famous Cecil, simply because there's more wild lions in the BVC. Population numbers of elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhino were cited for me, but I will refrain from putting them down here... the pressure the BVC is getting from poachers is already very high. More on that later.

Anyway, we got in and settled into very comfortable accommodations at Chamalaya Camp, one of 9 or 10 permanent camps in the BVC. Here's some views of the camp:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the poor quality of the sundowner pic... I accidentally deleted the right one, all I have left is this poor one.

Anyway, that's camp. Just me, my PH, 4 hunting staff, 2 skinners, and 4 camp workers. Talk about being taken care of! I'm told it's like this in most safari camps, at least traditional ones.

So next morning we were up bright and early and out in the car scouting for game. After we did the obligatory shooting of paper to "make sure the sights are on target" (i.e., the PH needs to start assessing the client's ability to handle his rifle(s) first thing). We punched holes in paper and we were off. I was astounded by the numbers of game animals. Zebra and wildebeest in mixed herds of several hundred at every waterhole, with smaller herds in between... tens of thousands of them! Impala were all over the place as well. John pointed out a couple of nice rams and asked me if I'd like to take one later, and I told him not really. They just don't do much for me, impala. They're smaller than a Texas whitetail (which are damn small!) and aside from the lyre-shaped horns on the males and the wonderful way they run, there's not much to them.

That first morning we saw several family groups of lions, both spotted and brown hyena, giraffe by the score, and even a group of bachelor elephants, young fellows. We also spotted a solitary black rhino and caught a glimpse of a herd of buffalo bulls. The skittishness of the buff surprised me... but these critters are very shy about people, despite being huge and cantankerous.

Finally John pulled over near a waterhole where 200-300 zebra and wildebeest were milling around and trying to decide if we were a threat or what, and said, "Right, let's see if that new rifle of yours can kill a zebra." They pronounce it ZEBB-ra over there, unlike our own ZEE-bra way of saying it.

My new rifle is a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H Magnum, which I bought in June after a prolonged search for an African rifle that gave me fits. More on that another day, perhaps. Suffice to say I'd bought the Caprivi from Whittaker guns, which is managed by one of our 24HCF members, and who gave me a helluva deal on a great, great rifle!

So anyway, John told me to grab my rifle, he picked the shooting sticks out of the back of the car, and we wandered off into the bush to pick out a zebra stallion. It didn't take long. John pointed out the one he wanted me to shoot, about 100 yards off, and told me he wanted me to shoot the top of the chevron on the stallion's shoulder. I settled the rifle in the canvas, took a shooting breath, and released the firing pin. BOOM! One dead zebra. The 300 gr Swift A-Frame went right through him, broke both shoulders, and carried across the Limpopo River and on over South Africa, finally coming to rest somewhere in Antarctica.

Here's some dead zebra pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/a...ra%20Gibson%20Amos_zpsiyotsel5.jpg[/img]

This last pic shows Gibson, John's skinner of many years, and Amos, his assistant. Gibson and I spent a good bit of quality animal-autopsy time together. My PH was a bit surprised at my eagerness to spend time in the skinning shed, as most hunters would just as soon leave that chore to the menials. I was eager to learn more about the anatomy and toughness of African animals, though, and the only way to do that is to get bloody and wield the knife yourself.

John admits he's done a great deal of animal postmortem dissection himself. We spent many an hour sitting at the campfire over the 10 days of our safari, talking about bullets, terminal ballistics of various calibers/bullets, and "stopping" power versus hunting.

Those of you who are familiar with my law enforcement background and/or my training company, Tactical Anatomy Systems LLC, will not be surprised to learn I spent much of my time in Africa discussing and otherwise researching these topics. More on that later.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's good you are back safely. That is an amazingly comfortable looking and attractive camp.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, hell... my connection here at the airport sucks... I'm having trouble getting my pics to load! I guess I'll pick this huntalogue up when I get to DFW, maybe the internet connection will be better there...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great time.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So far it sounds like a great trip. Were you using handloads?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Welcome back!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you had a great trip. I can't wait for the rest of the report.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been waiting for this Doc!

Post more when you can!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell doc, you just left!! Welcome back! So.....when are u going back? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Doc!

Did you re-book yet? laugh

SNORK! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Did you get a buffalo?

The suspense is nerve wracking! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Can't wait to read and see the rest of this one. Glad you made it back safely.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Doc cant wait to read the rest of the story.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome back and we all definitely want to bread more.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Looking forward to more stories and pics, doc.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waiting not so patiently.....

smile

Great start but let's hear the rest!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to the full report! Welcome back!

Eric

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag for easy access smile

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Great trip, congrats.

Looking forward to the full travelogue.

Savor the time retelling it; your audience is on the hook. laugh

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry to leave you boys hangin', but it's been a sch!tstorm since I made my first post yesterday. Let's just say American Airlines must hate me with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns, the way they treat me...

Anyways, I got home last night just before midnight, after 42 hours in transit. This should tell you two things: first, southern Africa is a looooong way from Texas; and two... I'm so stupid tired I forget the second thing.

Soooo, anyway, back to the story...

Part 2: Cape Buffalo

The whole point of this trip was to hunt Cape buffalo. The most dangerous game of all the dangerous game, the DG species that injures or kills more hunters than any other, the sixteen-hundred pound bull that dominates the southern African bush like nothing else. Don't ask me why buffalo, I can't explain it. I could cite Ruark and Hemingway and Taylor and a dozen other writers, but that wouldn't explain it either.

When I booked this hunt 3 years ago I specifically searched for PH's who both 1) had a lot of buffalo (BIG buffalo) in their concessions, and 2) were considered to be good at it. After talking to a lot of people, it came down to 5 PH's, and after I'd talked to those 5 at the DSC convention in 2012, it came down to two: John Sharp and Lou Halloran, both of Zimbabwe. John got the nod for a lot of reasons, which I won't go into. Suffice to say that he's as good a guide/PH as you're going to find in Africa today.

When I booked the hunt, John advised me strongly to book a 10-day hunt. Jorge agreed, as did a number of other Africa hunting veterans. As John put it, "There are simply no guarantees when you hunt buffalo. You might kill your bull in 3 days, but more likely you won't get a shot at a good bull until you've hunted 7 or 8 or even 10 days."

Case in point, the guy John hunted right before me booked a 21-day lion & buffalo hunt; killed his lion on Day 6, and then hunted hard for 15 more days before he finally got a shot at a buffalo. He succeeded, but it took him more than 2 weeks. Another guy hunted hard with John's compadre PH David L., and went home after 2 weeks without the 43+ inch buffalo bull he wanted. And so on.

So we started hunting buffalo on Day 1. We got out to the "rifle range" (a deserted stretch of road about a mile from camp), and John set up a shooting table while Isaac, his head tracker, trotted out about 100 yards and set up a cardboard box with a Shoot-n-See target pasted to it. I dutifully put 2 rounds downrange, we pronounced the rifle/scope/load/hunter good to go, and we went hunting.

I had the rifle sighted 3 inches high at 100 with my load, but on John's recommendation we zeroed it dead on at 100 yards. "You won't get many shots farther than 80 yards in this country," John opined. "And I certainly won't advise you to shoot at a buffalo any farther away than that."

[Linked Image]

Basically, hunting buffalo amounts to driving around to find bull tracks, then following them. We drove to a dozen waterholes, and at each one the trackers got out and walked around the periphery of the bareground area around the waterhole, looking at tracks. They would then return to the car and make pronouncements in Fanagolo, which John would translate to me as, "Nothing. Just a herd," or "Nothing," or "Two young bulls that headed south". That sort of thing.

[Linked Image]

This pic shows the process. That's Lovemore (number 2 tracker) on the left, Isaac in the middle, and the Game Scout on the right. I never got his name, I got the impression that the rest of the crew didn't care for him much.

Toward the end of the day we encountered a couple of buffalo herds, which are damned impressive... two or three hundred buffalo cows, calves, and bulls thundering away from the waterhole in a huge cloud of dust. Mostly you just hear the thunder and see the dust:

[Linked Image]

But occasionally you can catch a glimpse of some buffalo, like this, and it can be truly impressive:

[Linked Image]

Eventually we came to a waterhole with enough buffalo tracks to make Isaac pay attention. Not a herd this time, but six bulls; he told John that 2 went east, two went north, and two went west. Then suddenly Lovemore picked out four of them in the bush to the north, about 250 yards out. One was broadside and looking at us, as big as a pickup truck he was, his head turned to look directly at us, and yes, he did look at us as if we owed him money. Ruark will be blessed forever for that quip. (I wonder if he made that description up himself, or did Selby, or Virginia?)

As I write about this for other people to read, I feel as if I must restrain myself from citing Ruark, as every trite and amateur bit of writing about buffalo hunting I've ever come across cites him and it’s tiresome. We’ve all read Ruark, he was long dead before any of us could have met him, we all know the clichés, let’s move on… but that doesn't change the fact that the damn things DO look at you like you owe them money. So I guess we're stuck with it.

Anyway, the buff moved on. The big one looking at us was mature in the bosses, but no wider than the ears (which means less than 32" or so) and John dismissed him. “We can do much better than him,” he promised.
I wish I had a thousand dollars for every time a guide has told me we can do better, and then we didn’t. PLEASE God don’t let these words be prophetic, I prayed.

Then we had an Elephant Encounter. I'll get to that later. I have only two words for it that I'll share with you now: Holy, and Sch!tt.

Next morning we were up and back to the waterhole by six. The trackers got out, and found the herd, which Isaac said were 5 dagga boys, two of which he said were big old bulls. He said they were lying up in the district to the north, and coming to water in the early morning. We got back in the car and headed down the road to find the place where their tracks crossed, the road, then we got out.

"Load your rifle," John said quietly. He then went through what I guessed was a standard explanation of the process. "We'll go in single file, you right behind me. Keep in mind these things have incredible hearing, so don't cough, don't clear your throat. Let your nose run, and if you must fart, do it quietly. We have the wind, so they won't smell you, but they will hear you and if they do they'll be gone."

Then John took his rifle from Isaac. It's a beautiful old Rigby 470 double, which the head guy at Holland & Holland said at one time was "the finest working double rifle that has ever passed through my hands". It was made in 1927, and the barrels were severely damaged some time later; it came to H&H in the 70's, and they rebarreled it, but that pretty much wrecked its collector value; hence the "working double rifle" classification. I had a lot of opportunity to scrutinize this rifle, as it was front and center in my field of vision, 3 feet from my nose, for the next several days.

Here's a pic of the stalk starting out: Isaac in the lead, watching tracks; Lovemore behind him, scanning ahead for visual contact with the buffalo, then John behind him. I'm tail-end Charlie, with the camera, which is why you can't see me. Obviously.

[Linked Image]

In the bush, we stayed close together, usually only a pace or two apart. We started tracking at 0645. At that time the temp was in the low 80's.

Within 50 yards we came across fresh cow turds. Having grown up around cattle in Alberta and Saskatchewan, I know that cow turds that are shiny and wet-looking on a hot summer morning only stay that way for a couple minutes after they drop out of the cow's azz... and I also knew that there ain't no domestic cattle in this part of Africa... so these fresh turds were actually fresh buffalo bull turds. At which point my focus became a lot more, well, focused.

Then I laughed at myself because, of course, NObody ever shoots a buffalo on the first stalk of the first day of his first buffalo hunt.

"Get ready!" John said, setting out the sticks.

Holy. Sch!tt... !!! Thinks I, and I laid the rifle in the canvas sling between the shooting sticks. I could make out the bulk of something that appeared to be about the size, shape, and black color of a railway oil car about 20 yards ahead in the thick mopane brush. After peering for a while, I could make out something that looked like horns at one end of the railway car. Then suddenly it was gone, and virtually without a sound. John said, "Put your rifle on safe", and I did. And we began stalking again.

And stalking. And stalking.

BTW, this is what buffalo look like when you're stalking them in the mopane scrub:

[Linked Image]

... except that this one is a lot easier to see than they usually are, and it's a lot farther away than they usually are. This one's about 40 yards out.

We got close enough half a dozen times to set up the sticks, but either the buff we could shoot was one of the young ones with soft bosses, or there was too much brush for a good shot, or they just started moving again before I could get set up. BTW, you only have about 3-4 seconds from the time the sticks go up to take your shot. There's no time to dawdle.

Finally, at about 11:00, after more than 4 hours of stalking, we had 3 bulls staked out. Isaac and John and I had gone in alone. We were about 15 yards from the bulls, which were in a very dense thicket of mopane. We scootched up to them on our butts, slowly and being vewy, vewy quiieet... One bull fed out of the thicket to the right. John peered at him through his binoculars. "He's young. Soft bosses," he whispered, very softly. The second bull started to move out to the left, and John started to put up the sticks.

Then the brush to our left front exploded and a Sherman tank came barreling out of it... actually, it was a black rhino bull. Sherman tanks are smaller and slower. The rhino had been startled by the buff, and being a rhino and doing what rhino's do best (i.e., charge at anything they think might be a threat) it came at the buff, which of course scattered to the four winds. The rhino thundered past our position without seeing us, scarcely 5 yards away. Holy. Sch!tt.

I didn't get a picture of the rhino as he galloped past. I didn't take a picture of my underwear afterward, either. At that point we decided we were done for the morning. It was time for lunch and a nap.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.