Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Plastic plate or recoil pad?

I've got a fixer upper and need to get something on the shooter end of it the orig owner removed/broke/lost whatever came on it!

What was original?

It's a heavy rifle in .270 so recoil won't really be too bad.

Thanks,

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I recall correctly a recoil pad is standard.

Flyer

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never have seen a plastic buttplate on one.

I've one(steel BLR 81) that was a touch rough (22-250 Donor).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BLR's in OEM guise have a longer LOP than most things. I bucked a chunk off,to make it easier for the kids and to speed up handling in general.

[Linked Image]

Rebarreled it with an OEM NIB 7-08 spout,from Midwest. They are steeped in BLR parts,including complete stocks and internals. Then I hit it with about $3 in paint,for long term protection.

[Linked Image]

I floated the schit out of the fore arm and with 162A-Max at 2500fps,it do purty nice thangs. Haven't had it out much past 1000yds. Had the guy I got from in tow the other day and he was shaking his head,when I was slapping schit around at the 800yd line

[Linked Image]

Originally had 2pc flat mounts on it and that really robbed from the MK4 M3,only granting 30MOA of erector travel,from a 200yd zero. I ordered an EGW 20MOA rail to replace same,in order to eek more erector travel.

[Linked Image]

The EGW 20MOA Picatinny rail wouldn't mate to the 22-250 Donor Receiver,so I ended up cutting a window out of it and using it as a 2pc base. That exchange netted another 15MOA of erector travel,at the same zero range and opened windows of opportunity.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/538/5pNM6k.jpg[/img]

It is a wickedly wonderful and very handy parcel now,that is a VERY sneaky Sleeper of the highest order. While I had the guts out of it,I stoned the trigger a smidge and smoothed it up,which didn't hurt the equation at all.

Floating and re-SEALING the fore arm is key,to yielding round groups ala MPAJ or any other means.

Hint................

Midwest RINK

(Float query Addendum)

I'd liken it akin to a FF tube on a Krunchenticker. While the butt section of the fore arm mates the receiver,the fore arms channel also mates the barrel's underside in OEM guise,as well as incorporating a barrel band. Throw the 'band as far as you can offa the nearest cliff...then simply relieve the 'channel.

It will yield a float and less doing so,they will string like a Mad Woman running to take a schit. Couple same with moisture intrusion and ALL bets are off,when the warp occurs.

In final form,I'll craft an aluminum fore end,that's a touch broader in cross section,for a Ninja Float and to add a stud on the bottom,to support a bipod.

Nothing to it................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do you float a hanging forend?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That BLR is awesome.

But should have made it a 22-250!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the link and info Stick! I've seen your rifle on the other place and it is a dandy.

I've had some help/advice from Sitka Deer on the stock and have steamed out a few places and have purchased super glue to touch up the finish, waiting on accelerant to do it, and then will be ready to pad it.

I would shorten it if for me only but the southpaw I will likely give/will this rifle too is 6'3 and arms like magilla gorilla so he will probably fit it pretty well.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Almost forgot, what is that broken round piece?

Thanks

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is what I started with.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The previous owner had some sort of slip on recoil pad on it that ended right were that very defined line is on the stock.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B.S., the BLR--that was very interesting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Stick: I'm VERY impressed!!! I'd never have thought of making a 1000yd shooter out of a BLR.

My most prolific deer killer is an old 1st gen, scalloped steel receiver'd BLR in .308 Win. and it's been a shooter since day one. I've personally killed well over 60 deer with it now. IIRC, 56 of them were bucks. My brother killed 8 does in about 45 to 50 seconds (maybe less) with it once, shooting from a stand overlooking one ridge-top greenfield, across a big draw to another greenfield on the next ridge-top to the north, around 300 yards away.

It was the loaner rifle in our deer camp for a couple of decades and it had such a stellar reputation as a killer that LOTS of the kids would use it. It's taken quite a few first deer for kids and God-only-knows how many more.

BTW: Mine has an old-style open recoil pad on it similar to the Pachmayr F325 Deluxe Field Pad. The .308's and .358's had a reputation as kickers, but none of us thought that.

Last edited by Skeezix; 09/06/15.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This BLR-81 is one of my favorite rifles, a 1982 built version chambered for 308 WIN, it has the second type steel receiver - all original with rubber recoil pad.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (06hunter59, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.